Lots of Cables
Nov 25, 2007 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DarkScorpion

New Head-Fier
Long story short, I'm going to recabling my entire home theater system, and would like to make my own IC's for everything. I've already made quite a few IC's for my headphone set-up but never for my home theater, so I've a few questions. My goal is to make IC's for everything, including video, digital audio (coax) and subwoofer. My question is, can I simply use the same type of cable for everything? I'm basically making all RCA interconnects, but I'm wondering if I must use a particular type of cable for each. I plan on using 22ga or maybe 20ga SPC for everything (from navships on eBay) and Neutrik interconnects. So basically, can I just use one kind of wire for everything, or is there a particular kind of wire I must use for different outputs?

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm planning to do the same thing, but I'm going with studio-tested cables from Canare and Belden. Everyone has their favorites for a given application. Check out the cable models that Blue Jeans Cable specifies for each kind of connection to get a good idea of what you might want.

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 8
It might be a good idea to use solid all-copper wire for the subwoofer.

Silver's main sonic advantage is detail in the highs and a more open quality. Personally I prefer something rich and thick for the lowest frequencies.

I made a sub cable using Neotech 18awg solid copper, and I can actually hear a difference between it and the basic Monster cable I was using--more of a rich, shuddering feeling from movie explosions.

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 8
Nov 26, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back