Lots of bass & female vocals
Mar 3, 2010 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ekliptiko

100+ Head-Fier
Ive got a pair of ATH-M50's, and I love them. Sounds like a subwoofer in my head. They are amazing. BUT: (theres always one) They lack the luster that female vocals can produce.

What headphones have awsome bass and mid-highs? (is that what female vocals would be?)

Im looking for something to really make artists like Portishead, Massive Attack, Sarah McClauhlan, Erykah Badu, Macy Gray really shine. I enjoy female vocals and bass way too much to miss out on either.

-ekl

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 16
Jeez, I read the title of your post and was all ready to recommend:

Musica Nuda (self-titled CD)
and
"900 Miles", by Bethany and Rufus

Talk about your great combination of female vocals and bass! As far as what to listen to them with....hmmm...in my somewhat limited headphone experience I might choose a W5000 for a nice rendering of both bass and female vocals.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 16
Fun. I'm on the same boat, I guess. I listen to almost everything you're listing. I am thinking of getting either a D7000 or W5000 as my next can, very soon. My guess is the ATs probably does better female vocals albeit lacking bass, but people on this forum seems to love the denon. I am very divided on what to get.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by choka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fun. I'm on the same boat, I guess. I listen to almost everything you're listing. I am thinking of getting either a D7000 or W5000 as my next can, very soon. My guess is the ATs probably does better female vocals albeit lacking bass, but people on this forum seems to love the denon. I am very divided on what to get.

whoa. both headphone recommendations have heavy price tags. I was thinking more in the price range of D5000, and after some research on the wide intranets, it seems the denon AH-Dxxxx series is a nice fit for this kind of music. Any others that people have found pleasant with bass (synthesized or not) and female vocals?

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 16
I currently have a pair of k702 and they actually do a very good job on vocals. There is a bit of sibilance sometimes (e.g., if I listen to Diana Krall) but for artists on your list, not a problem at all. Beth Gibbons sound amazing. The bass is there as well but not powerful, if that's what you are looking for.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

I currently have a pair of k702 and they actually do a very good job on vocals. There is a bit of sibilance sometimes (e.g., if I listen to Diana Krall) but for artists on your list, not a problem at all. Beth Gibbons sound amazing. The bass is there as well but not powerful, if that's what you are looking for.

The powerful bass is a pre-requisite, essentially I am looking for the bass of a DT770, or even the ATH-M50's, as long as they present female vocals with precedence. I have trouble coming up with examples of headphones that really present vocals cause i personally have never heard any that knocked my socks off.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 16
While not a perfect solution, it sounds like the Denon sound signature is what you're after.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 16
The only thing you should be aware of with the Denon Dx000 is that although the bass is exactly what you are looking for, vocals seem to sit behind the rest of the music. This is less pronounced with female vocals which is great for you, but still there a bit. I'm now listening to Erykah Badu with my modded Dennon D2000, both bass and her voice sounds great (a little behind the band, but still the quality is great).

I would recommend that you get Denon D2000 and if you are handy, perform the markl mod, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...0-mods-299627/. It is for the D5000, but there is a template that I used with success for the D2000. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mar...mplate-352109/

This is a great way to get awesome performance out of a less expensive headphone. Also, with the mod, the bass will be less (just a bit) and the vocals will sound much better. It's a trade that strikes a nice balance for you.

Then, for even better sound all around, get the JMoney leather earpads. They were one of the best buys for me. JMoney Denon Lambskin Earpads - Headphone Accessories | HeadRoom Audio

Enjoy

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgrewe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing you should be aware of with the Denon Dx000 is that although the bass is exactly what you are looking for, vocals seem to sit behind the rest of the music. This is less pronounced with female vocals which is great for you, but still there a bit. I'm now listening to Erykah Badu with my modded Dennon D2000, both bass and her voice sounds great (a little behind the band, but still the quality is great).

I would recommend that you get Denon D2000 and if you are handy, perform the markl mod, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...0-mods-299627/. It is for the D5000, but there is a template that I used with success for the D2000. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mar...mplate-352109/

This is a great way to get awesome performance out of a less expensive headphone. Also, with the mod, the bass will be less (just a bit) and the vocals will sound much better. It's a trade that strikes a nice balance for you.

Then, for even better sound all around, get the JMoney leather earpads. They were one of the best buys for me. JMoney Denon Lambskin Earpads - Headphone Accessories | HeadRoom Audio

Enjoy

Thanks! After some thinking, the D2000 is more in my price range anyways. I just cant justify spending ~$400 on anything right now. I consider myself more than handy enough for that mod. Im thinkin ill have to try that.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 16
Awesome, I think you will be blown away by that choice.

And I say do the mod after breaking them in. You'll appreciate them more that way.
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 16
K701 lack any real low end detail/depth and Denons bass while plentiful isn't detailed, plus both k701 and Denon need a good amp to sound there best. Ultrasone is without a doubt the best for reproducing anything with a beat; Massive Attack, Zero 7, Hot Chip, The Knife - you name it, sounds great!

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Agree on the K702 for vocals, but if the OP insist on bassssy hps, I'll recommend the Pro-900.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 16
I get frustrated with female vocals on the D5000's as well, the bass is a bit overwhelming, the mids a bit recessed and I'd like a bigger soundstage as well. In this genre I much prefer my ESW10JPN's, the bass is sufficient and punchy enough for me, but the OP might want more than what the ES line gives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back