Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Sep 22, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,142 of 2,329
Ordered my S1 from Andrew at MusicTeck and received it today
First off Kudos to MusicTeck. Great customer support, (buying several items at the same time and corresponding with them, was offered more than a fair price for all the items together!) My first time purchasing from them and as always concerned when working with a new company as also earlier in this thread I saw people had concerns as never having bought from them before also. No need to worry and by far the best buying experience I've had in a while! (IMO and as always YMMV).

As mentioned, just received the device and thought I'd give it a quick listen in between a couple of conference calls for work.
OMG! first impressions right out of the box is it sounds as good (if not better) than my Q5s with the AM3D THX amp after all the burn in/tuning I've done on that combo (and this with NO burn in time on the PAW S1). Looking forward to see how much more it improves with some burn in time!
While I have not had enough time to test them all back to back a quick run through the different ATE sound curves, so far NONE and Far-Field are the most intriguing.
Using my USB-C enabled devices the supplied and USB cables I have here already all work great.
For my Lightning Port devices, I have a variety of cables. None work. This is more a testament to the fickle nature of the Apple Lightning port as even with the Q5s cables that worked on it, cables from its predecessor device don't. Now cables that I have that work for my Q5s don't work on the PAW S1. Can't wait until they move their phones to USB-C. Do yourself a favor and just get the Lotoo lightning cable and save yourself some frustration. Will do some more USB-C to lightning cable testing as between friends I have access to many including the Menovo cable mentioned earlier in the thread, but I've always found not all Apple MIFI certified cables work on all devices. For the S1 some cables give no power, some power the device but no sound. of the 5 cables I have on hand only the Lotoo one works. Will try the Apple CDK cable latter tonight when done with work.

But in general, if your on the fence, go for it.
I am pleasantly surprised how good it sounds and how small it is.
My only concern now is for its size, leaving it behind someplace after using it.

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,143 of 2,329
First off Kudos to MusicTeck. Great customer support, (buying several items at the same time and corresponding with them, was offered more than a fair price for all the items together!) My first time purchasing from them and as always concerned when working with a new company as also earlier in this thread I saw people had concerns as never having bought from them before also. No need to worry and by far the best buying experience I've had in a while! (IMO and as always YMMV).

As mentioned, just received the device and thought I'd give it a quick listen in between a couple of conference calls for work.
OMG! first impressions right out of the box is it sounds as good (if not better) than my Q5s with the AM3D THX amp after all the burn in/tuning I've done on that combo (and this with NO burn in time on the PAW S1). Looking forward to see how much more it improves with some burn in time!
While I have not had enough time to test them all back to back a quick run through the different ATE sound curves, so far NONE and Far-Field are the most intriguing.
Using my USB-C enabled devices the supplied and USB cables I have here already all work great.
For my Lightning Port devices, I have a variety of cables. None work. This is more a testament to the fickle nature of the Apple Lightning port as even with the Q5s cables that worked on it, cables from its predecessor device don't. Now cables that I have that work for my Q5s don't work on the PAW S1. Can't wait until they move their phones to USB-C. Do yourself a favor and just get the Lotoo lightning cable and save yourself some frustration. Will do some more USB-C to lightning cable testing as between friends I have access to many including the Menovo cable mentioned earlier in the thread, but I've always found not all Apple MIFI certified cables work on all devices. For the S1 some cables give no power, some power the device but no sound. of the 5 cables I have on hand only the Lotoo one works. Will try the Apple CDK cable latter tonight when done with work.

My only concern now is for its size, leaving it behind someplace after using it.
theres no other solution than an OTG usb c to Lightning and CCK, i prefered a CCK that i got in amazon Mexico which has a wider cable than the stock, sound is a bit more robust, i found that depends of the USB c cable that i use with this, it may vary (very little) the quality of sound.

The little s1 has a great sound and amazing quality compared to many DAPS and DACS, i modded mine with romi audio and it improved a bit more in power management, feels more robust

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #1,144 of 2,329

I got the Lotoo USB-C - Lightning cable when I purchased my S1 and it works great.

Sep 23, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #1,145 of 2,329
theres no other solution than an OTG usb c to Lightning and CCK, i prefered a CCK that i got in amazon Mexico which has a wider cable than the stock, sound is a bit more robust, i found that depends of the USB c cable that i use with this, it may vary (very little) the quality of sound.

The little s1 has a great sound and amazing quality compared to many DAPS and DACS, i modded mine with romi audio and it improved a bit more in power management, feels more robust

Does anyone has any details of what romi mode does ? I did not see any replacable compoments on this tiny board.

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,147 of 2,329
Made a foil hat for my S1. Works.
PXL_20200923_144654671.jpg
PXL_20200923_144911755.jpg

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,149 of 2,329
That should work and avoid the possibility of internal shorting if you line the interior of the case.
And the alien mothership won't be able to use your foil-shielded S1 against you in the event of an invasion either.
Which is nice :)

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #1,152 of 2,329
Did anyone tried S1 with full size headphones in balanced mode? What headphones exactly and how how the synergy? Looking forward to the next firmware update, let's see what other features will bring along.👍😀

I use it with Senn HD598 and/or Hifiman Sundara OTE headphones every day, both balanced... I enjoy it. I guess if I had to try to explain it, which I'm no good for, I would say it smooths out the Sundara's high-end, which every once in a while can come across as harsh (generally bc of recording quality/mastering). Despite this, it doesnt seem to add any smoothness to the HD598's, which are already very smooth. That's the best subjective info I could give.

Objectively, plenty of volume for the HD598's as I don't ever use high gain with them. For the Sundara's, I am around 80/100 on volume with high gain, which is my preferred loudness level. I do have a couple 24bit/96khz Vinyl rips that are very quiet and in that case the S1 can barely get the Sundaras to that level... That's just a random and probably rare situation though, mainly due to the person recording the vinyl too low to begin with.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #1,153 of 2,329

What is this?... the "modded with romi audio".

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #1,155 of 2,329
I attached S1 to Cayin N3Pro via USB Audio Out and it sounded much much better than with the iPhone. No interference, just pure great sound :ksc75smile:

The 3.5 output is very clean and good but 4.4 output has an even better soundstage. S1 is an awesome little device.

EDF0992F-DE2E-4D5E-AE12-A4778766A937.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back