Lost Westone 4r Right Driver!
Jun 22, 2014 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mrmortgage

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Great community here, before making any purchase for audio equipment this is the first place I come to for advice. Last night I lost the right driver for my Westone 4r's. I wasn't as freaked out about losing the driver as I thought I would be but I'm still bummed that a replacement might really hit the wallet. Is anyone familiar with Westone's pricing for replacement of lost/stolen drivers? I've sent them an email but was I'm anxious to get a response so I came here to see if I can get some information. Any war stories or related experiences are welcomed responses. Thank you! :)

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 20
Do you mean the earpiece, as in the whole housing and everything in it, as in the bit that attaches to the cable? Or do you actually mean the actual tiny little BA driver (or one of them)? Because I'd like to know how you managed to get a driver out in the first place, let alone lose it, without having made the whole headphone unusable!

A little more info might be helpful, i.e were you modding the earphone, and so you just need a component, or were you trying to repair it, and as such might need multiple parts, etc...

One more thing: have you tried looking really hard for it? Like REALLY hard? If you can, try shaking out the floor rug from the room you lost it in, or checking folds in clothing and so on (before the lost bit goes in the washing machine! :p), because finding it will save you a lot of waiting and money :) (and if time is money, then it's a double saving!)  

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 20
Thanks for responding, I lost the complete right monitor that connects to the cable. Sorry for saying driver, bit confusing. I lost it in the star tours ride at Disneyland in Anaheim. Right when I got off the ride I took both monitors out of my ears and let them hang from my back pack over my chest. These monitors are usually snug tight into the cables, I'm surprised it was dislodged. About halfway exiting the ride down the ramp back to the outside I noticed I was missing the right monitor, I quickly backtracked to the ride, the ride operator was nice enough to ask passengers if they seen the monitor near their seat, I didn't even ask her to do it. Alas no dice and now I'm down a right side.

My 4r's were my run and gun monitors, I travel with a fiio Mont Blanc. I use some old Shure SE530's when I exercise minus the amplifier, and lastly I use Sennheiser 650's with the Mont Blanc while at home. I don't know why I just shared my inventory with everyone, maybe subconsciously I'm trying to get accepted by the fraternity here. :p

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 20
I've seen someone request for one before, it's isn't exactly cheap as compared to the overall cost of it brand new.

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks for responding, I lost the complete right monitor that connects to the cable. Sorry for saying driver, bit confusing. I lost it in the star tours ride at Disneyland in Anaheim. Right when I got off the ride I took both monitors out of my ears and let them hang from my back pack over my chest. These monitors are usually snug tight into the cables, I'm surprised it was dislodged. About halfway exiting the ride down the ramp back to the outside I noticed I was missing the right monitor, I quickly backtracked to the ride, the ride operator was nice enough to ask passengers if they seen the monitor near their seat, I didn't even ask her to do it. Alas no dice and now I'm down a right side.

My 4r's were my run and gun monitors, I travel with a fiio Mont Blanc. I use some old Shure SE530's when I exercise minus the amplifier, and lastly I use Sennheiser 650's with the Mont Blanc while at home. I don't know why I just shared my inventory with everyone, maybe subconsciously I'm trying to get accepted by the fraternity here.
tongue.gif

Well, if you lost it on a ride, I guess my 'look for it' point is completely moot :p

Any luck with the 'official response?'

Otherwise you might like to try and see if anyone has lost the left monitor on a pair (but of a long shot, I know, but worth a try).

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 20
I would suggest dropping the good folk at e-earphone in Japan an email.. they have a lot of these spare pieces and i got a spare right shell for my tf10 from there.. They have a spare w4r shell on their website,but doesnt mention if its right or left,well google translate doesn't should i say..
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 20
I would suggest dropping the good folk at e-earphone in Japan an email.. they have a lot of these spare pieces and i got a spare right shell for my tf10 from there.. They have a spare w4r shell on their website,but doesnt mention if its right or left,well google translate doesn't should i say.. :D

Thanks Rookie2009, when you say shell are you referring to the piece that encloses the drivers? I lost the complete right monitor, it detached right from the cable. I'm thinking its going to be $200 to replace one side.

I got a question response from Westone because I used the wrong terminology calling the monitor a driver confused everyone including Westone. I clarified myself and am waiting response.

Jun 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 20
Thanks Rookie2009, when you say shell are you referring to the piece that encloses the drivers? I lost the complete right monitor, it detached right from the cable. I'm thinking its going to be $200 to replace one side.

I got a question response from Westone because I used the wrong terminology calling the monitor a driver confused everyone including Westone. I clarified myself and am waiting response.

sorry for the confusion,its the complete monitor.. plug it into a cable and will play music.. the one on sale from japan is 125usd excluding delivery cost

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 20
Yes,they are one of the biggest retailers in Japan.. e-earphone.jp is the site, I use them a lot.. Great service

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 20
Got a reply from Westone, turns out they don't sell replacement monitors because left and right monitors are acoustically balanced at the factory. I wonder how much of a difference this makes considering e-earphone. jp sells monitor replacements. Below is the response:

Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your earphones. We do not sell single side units of the Westone 4R as they are acoustically matched during production. We do have an out of warranty replacement program in place, to where once we receive your product we are able to extend to you a one time out of warranty replacement offer. This is an opportunity for you to purchase a brand new, unpackaged universal fit product at a discounted price. The replacement will come with a full two year warranty. Please go to our website and fill out the requested returns form. We will then send you a return number and additional instructions on how to get everything in for replacement. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Have a great day.

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 20
Got a reply from Westone, turns out they don't sell replacement monitors because left and right monitors are acoustically balanced at the factory. I wonder how much of a difference this makes considering e-earphone. jp sells monitor replacements. Below is the response:

Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your earphones. We do not sell single side units of the Westone 4R as they are acoustically matched during production. We do have an out of warranty replacement program in place, to where once we receive your product we are able to extend to you a one time out of warranty replacement offer. This is an opportunity for you to purchase a brand new, unpackaged universal fit product at a discounted price. The replacement will come with a full two year warranty. Please go to our website and fill out the requested returns form. We will then send you a return number and additional instructions on how to get everything in for replacement. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Have a great day.

I've heard they sell those replacement at a steal.

It's a really huge discount, maybe you can go for it instead.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 20
I've sent the remaining left 4r monitor to Westone and tracking has confirmed they have received it today. I was told on the phone that Westone will offer me the W40 as replacement for $250.00 with a full 2 year warranty. I guess I'm going to take the offer, Westone doesn't have to do this so I'm thankful I even have options. Wish I wouldn't have lost the right monitor in the first place.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #14 of 20
I've sent the remaining left 4r monitor to Westone and tracking has confirmed they have received it today. I was told on the phone that Westone will offer me the W40 as replacement for $250.00 with a full 2 year warranty. I guess I'm going to take the offer, Westone doesn't have to do this so I'm thankful I even have options. Wish I wouldn't have lost the right monitor in the first place.

Nice!

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 20
Just received this message today from Westone:

Hello,

We have received your W4R for RTS30804. This unit has been submitted for testing and diagnosis. We expect to have the diagnosis and repair/replacement quote available for you within 3-5 business days. If you have any questions in the meantime please contact us at (800) 525-5071 or musicreturns@westone.com . Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back