Lost Twin Brother of the AKG K1000
Jun 20, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #16 of 49
Thanks for the kind words, all... but honestly, regardless what more conventional audiophiles might think big systems don't necessarily better headfi setups.

I remember during the 1st National headfi meet hearing Mikhail's Maestros driving Sony MDR-R10s and thinking here was a rig that was begging to be compared to a cost-no-object big system and should more than hold it's own. Then I heard the Sonys again when Immtbiker (Aaron) brought them to one of our local NY audio parties, this time with the Raptor. Infuggincredible!

Among the best I've ever heard, pardon if I don't remember the headfier, this rig, Audiovalve & Rudistor had me thinking how much one had to spend if this were done in the large. And so on and so on.

Me, I need to get enough post-points, without cheating, so I can post a WTB for a Raptor, ideally also land a PS-1 but then I haven't heard enough to see whether that'll fix the fix
k1000smile.gif
BUT I'm an easy sell when it comes to headphones and enjoy my Vmoda/Total Bithead at the office as well.

Hope to learn more here.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #17 of 49
How do you like those omnis with the hardwood floor and brick walls? Looks like you have the rug and first reflection absorber (and eighth nerve type stuff) but it looks like a bandaid on an elephant for ringing, slap, and other issues.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like those omnis with the hardwood floor and brick walls? Looks like you have the rug and first reflection absorber (and eighth nerve type stuff) but it looks like a bandaid on an elephant for ringing, slap, and other issues.

Very good question, first the room is asymmetric, longer on one side around 18x11.x-13.x, speakers positioned along the short wall. But since this is an old building, the wall facing the East River had to parallel the water line, so it's tapering out towards the right speaker.

Then, as far as acoustical issues are concerned, it gets a bit "shifty," especially with omnis whose intent is to use the room, i.e. load that reverberant field as if "live". The ASC bass traps trimmed a lot of the fat down low and the 8th nerve seams and corners helped as well. Even then, it's difficult to describe the room's coloration in words short of showing an RTA, comb-filtering notwithstanding, but that's why this thread-- I didn't plan for the system to "sound like the K1000s w/o the K1000s," that's just how it turned out. I'm not saying it's the shiznit-to-end-all-shiznit's either, s'why I wanna have dem PS-1s to keep me company while I wipe the slate clean
rs1smile.gif
(Btw, forgot the direct answer: nearfield is how I listen whether it's the Duevels or the Lipinski's.)

Btw, here's listener feedback of the rig: the good and the so-so, lol. Eh, either doesn't faze me a bit. Nobody knows a system's weakness like its owner, right?
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #19 of 49
Haha! Incredible setup. I had a browsy through the picture link you posted. Looks like you have some sort of tube fetish
wink.gif
Those Kronzillas 1610s look amazing and very, very expensive too!

This photo of yours drove me over the edge
tongue.gif
, not to mention the beautiful rack/feet of silence you use to house the source components.
nyar0624b.jpg

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #20 of 49
Great pics - I had no idea the back of the room was so close.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #21 of 49
I must apologize, milkpowder, the system's always in flux and I'd been shedding amps lately. So, the Kronzillas and Bel Cantos are gone, ditto with the Kharma MK150s this week. Plus, if audio were a college degree, tubes are compulsory/mandatory courses, lol. When it comes to amps I've always had a "floating" ideal. These past couple years it's a SET sound with better-than-average damping. And while I've to try a NATaudio SE3 there's lots of other stuff that can keep me "entertained." (Lol, hope that doesn't sound too blase.)

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Great pics - I had no idea the back of the room was so close.

Oh yeah, there's a couch some 15 ft from the speakers and that's where guests sit. But since the Duevels don't image like direct radiators, I prefer sitting nearfield, say, 5-6ft away on that massage chair.

(Yipee 20 posts, 30 more to go!)

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #25 of 49
What headphones are you using now?

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just the Vmoda + Total Bithead at work.

So where's the Raptor/PS1 going to take you? If the AKG/BAT setup approximated the Duevels.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Secret
tongue.gif

[size=xx-small]Just kidding, I prefer not to dwell on what's not there yet. Must clean house first.[/size]

Dude, I noticed your analog set up. Wicked! How good is the Dynavector XV 1S?

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #30 of 49
Gorgeous listening room!

But have you noticed your acoustic guitars having sympathetic resonance to your speakers? Mine did, so I had to take them off the racks and back in their cases. I keep the Les Paul up tho - solidbodies don't ring loud enough acoustically for me to pick up of course, hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back