Lost my Yuin PK2s, want to try sub 100€ IEMs this time
Mar 23, 2008 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Piffles

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone and happy Easter,

To my great dispair, I seem to have lost my Yuin PK2s while I was travelling last week. Probably left them in the hotel room or something. Grrrrrrr!

Anyway, it's a good excuse to try something else. I'm very happy with my home rig but not too satisfied with my mini travel rig:
- iAudio U3
- Yuin PK2
I thought it sounded a bit muffled, lacked in clarity all over the frequency range.

When choosing the PK2s, I went for earbuds because I was afraid of the IEM design. This time, I'll take the jump. That way I might be able to use them in the plane instead of those god-awful things they give you on board.

I've done my reading and selected the following sub 100€ IEMs:
- Ultimate Ears SuperFi 3 Studio
- Etymotic E6i
- Audio Technica ATH-CK7

I also saw the following but have crossed them off the list
- Westone UM1 (bit pricey and apparently "veiled")
- Sennheiser CX300 (said to be boring, flat)
- Jays d-Jays (just so so, nothing special according to several reviews)
- v-Moda Vibe (for bass heads they say)
- Shure e2c (described as crap by several people)
- Shure SE110 (worse than the e2c)

To get back to the first list, the Etymotic E6i seems to be the reference in terms of entry IEMs. They are consistently mentionned everywhere as a great product. But it's often said to be analytical and cold. Something which is not said of the Ultimate Ears SuperFi 3 Studio. The third one, the Audio Technica ATH-CK7 intrigues me because of the IEM/bud hybrid design which would make it more comfortable and more convenient for on the go use. Found several "professional" reviewers saying it rivaled the E6i in sound quality.

My musical tastes... well, jazz, classical, flamenco, blues. Lots and lots of guitar, electric or accoustic. In terms of sound, the best for me I've heard in headphones are the AKG K601.

Does anyone have any experience with those 3 IEMs? How would they compare on the aforementionned music?

Thanks,
Piffles.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 3
Check out iM716. A bit more difficult to drive but it sounds better (and more fun) than ER6i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back