Lossless vs 128kbps mp3 vs 320kbps mp3 blind test
Jan 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #16 of 169
Quote:
No problem, glad you guys liked the files. Hopefully enough people take this so that I don't have to wait too long to put the results up.

Sorry I wasn't able to put any metal or the likes in there for you KamijolsMyHero, the closest stuff I had was either not lossless or of not that great recording quality. I mentioned in another thread that I wanted to avoid stuff with any hiss in the background and that's hard to avoid when distorted guitars come into play.

The remaining member of Telefon Tel Aviv hasn't exactly been trying to get their stuff out there since the other guy died, so you'll probably have trouble finding it on any of those streaming services(some of their stuff is on lastfm but not of that album, which is completely different than all their others). Good luck finding it lossless legally too, I ended up buying the CD for about $30 used off discogs. I think most is on YouTube though if you want to listen to it.

can you provide an example(e.g. link on youtube) of hiss that you hear or describe it further, I don't hear a hiss at all, BTW the distortion is a characteristic of metal anyway, same way the acoustic guitar is for that genre you gave out

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #17 of 169
Quote:

can you provide an example(e.g. link on youtube) of hiss that you hear or describe it further, I don't hear a hiss at all, BTW the distortion is a characteristic of metal anyway, same way the acoustic guitar is for that genre you gave out

I'll post a link on lunch break, but a lot of times you have to have good gear to hear it. Mine is particularly unforgiving of it. It's also generally inaudible unless there is close to silence so it's mostly a nonissue if I chose the right parts but I just played it safe and chose tracks that I couldn't hear any of it in.

I might have been wrong in saying that it is hard to avoid when distorted guitar comes into play, that might just be my particular collection. The stuff I have with the loudest hiss is actually acoustic.

EDIT: Here's an example of something with very noticable hiss(warning: album cover contains nudity but it's art so it's cool): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCxNVYF_7hA

Generally a lot quieter than that, but I was really picky in my selections.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #18 of 169
When there will be results ?
popcorn.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #23 of 169
A: 128
B: 320, guessed
C: lossless, guessed

could not tell a thing between B and C honestly. Just "feels" B is a bit less precise than C but have no idea in all honesty. A felt with less crispy highs than the source.

A: Lossless guessed
B: 128
C: 320 guessed
after the 16th second A felt more confused, with the highest frequencies less sharp and "nippy". Again, lossless and 320, I have no real idea.

A: 320, guessed
B: lossless, guessed
C: 128

C felt less dynamic after the 18th second, more confused and the guitars less vibrant. for 320 and Lossless, no my friend, I have no idea at all.

here are mine. Was not easy at all, honestly, to distinguish them. Actually, I mostly have no clue to distinguish 320 from Lossless, and actually 128 is not obvious to me also. I also suspect than when confronting the "alleged" 128 with the source, my mind was tricking me.

Overall, I think that, had I bought a CD, or downloaded a bad rip, I would have hardly known.

Also I do not really agree with the chosen music. Some more complex, dynamic piece (e.g. classical, Dvorjak's 9th maybe) would have probably been better.

Great initiative, thought. Thanks for that. Will be very interested in the results.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #24 of 169
just had a go, but how do you hide your answers, also agree with the last post, with that kind of music is it not going to be more difficult, and should it not be the same track for each?

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #25 of 169
in order a, b then c from 128 to lossless, think c was lossless because it sounded the quietest
very difficult, listened to the first bit of 2 and could not differenciate

sorry, found answer to spoiler box when i started to read ealier posts

i have had a go at 3 as i seem to agree on the first, i didnt look at the answers to 3
A was 320
b was lossless, hated the second bit
c was 128

if im correct with both of mine which i doudt. lossless is the easiest to pick as its the dullest

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #26 of 169
Quote:
in order a, b then c from 128 to lossless, think c was lossless because it sounded the quietest
very difficult, listened to the first bit of 2 and could not differenciate

sorry, found answer to spoiler box when i started to read ealier posts

i have had a go at 3 as i seem to agree on the first, i didnt look at the answers to 3
A was 320
b was lossless, hated the second bit
c was 128

if im correct with both of mine which i doudt. lossless is the easiest to pick as its the dullest

I checked and you are as wrong as I was.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 169
I would have probably thrown in a classical track if I had any lossless one's, but I don't. So I just tried to keep it diverse and use well mastered stuff, hopefully showing a varying degree of difficulty between the three groups. There's no way I could have what everyone wants to see with only three tracks, and I felt like any more than that would be too much. 

Have you got the answers? Have we mistaken 128 with lossless? I do hope so

Nobody should have the answers yet but some people have given opposite answers so far.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #29 of 169
Group 1:

To me, A sounded the best, with B and C being fairly similar. If I had to choose between B and C, I would say B was the 320 and C was the 128.

Group 2: I invalidated the test by accidentally seeing someone's answers for group 2 when looking at Group 1 answers (after completing the group 1 test).

Group 3:

I would say C was Lossless, B and A were lossy. If I had to choose between them, I'd say A was 128.

The conversions for this are pretty well done. I'd be interested in a test that compared a series of converters. All 3 tracks are 128, one done by LAME, one by iTunes, and one by some other converter. See if people can ABX between that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back