Lossless to DAC without computer?
Jul 31, 2008 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ascherjim

100+ Head-Fier
Let me partially rephrase the question. Is it currently possible to transmit lossless digital music files (i.e., flac) directly to a DAC (then to an amplifier) without using a computer -- by some means other than having to use an iPod with a Wadia 170 iTransport?

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me partially rephrase the question. Is it currently possible to transmit lossless digital music files (i.e., flac) directly to a DAC (then to an amplifier) without using a computer -- by some means other than having to use an iPod with a Wadia 170 iTransport?

Maybe I don't understand the question but iPod>>>portable dac/amp (pico, predator)>>>headphones. ???

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I don't understand the question but iPod>>>portable dac/amp (pico, predator)>>>headphones. ???

Unfortunately that will use iPod internal DAC.

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately that will use iPod internal DAC.

Even when using Line Out and not headphone jack

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Even when using Line Out and not headphone jack

Line Out is still analog, so yes it goes thru the DAC (but not the amp). Even iMods use the DAC (that's their whole reason for being, the Wolfson DAC in the iPod is great, the amp is the problem).

As tpc41 says, you need digital output.

If you make a DATA (not a music) CD-R with .wav files, I think many new CD players will send the files one-at-a-time to their S/PDIF digital outs, either coax or optical (toslink). They certainly do this with MP3's, so I would think they would do it with .wav's. I am going to test this with an Oppo. This then would go right into the DAC.

Of course you needed the computer to make the CD-R! But then again you needed it to rip or download the files in the first place!

Someone should make a USB key (aka flash drive) that has a mechanical switch -- when the switch is thrown and the USB key connected to a USB port, it just transmits all files one at a time. You know, I think they do: I will look up "autoplay" and re-post.

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Line Out is still analog, so yes it goes thru the DAC (but not the amp). Even iMods use the DAC (that's their whole reason for being, the Wolfson DAC in the iPod is great, the amp is the problem).

As tpc41 says, you need digital output.

If you make a DATA (not a music) CD-R with .wav files, I think many new CD players will send the files one-at-a-time to their S/PDIF digital outs, either coax or optical (toslink). They certainly do this with MP3's, so I would think they would do it with .wav's. I am going to test this with an Oppo. This then would go right into the DAC.

Of course you needed the computer to make the CD-R! But then again you needed it to rip or download the files in the first place!

Someone should make a USB key (aka flash drive) that has a mechanical switch -- when the switch is thrown and the USB key connected to a USB port, it just transmits all files one at a time. You know, I think they do: I will look up "autoplay" and re-post.

I understand now, but why are so many of the portables dac/amp combo's (if the dac is not needed). Is the only reason for use with a laptop.

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 37
Well the usual autoplay is just a program that the host computer will run when the USB flash drive is inserted, so that's useless.

But this IS possible. You need to plug the USB flash drive into a device that acts as a host controller, and that pulls of the files one by one, and sends them to the DAC. Someone actually made one for MP3 files!

It read the files off a USP key, then it had its own DAC and an FM transmitter, but the thing was tiny, plugged in to a car 12V lighter socket, and indeed was a host controller!

Here's a snip from their ad:

The host controller conforms to Full-speed (12Mb/s) USB Specification, Version 1.1
• Supports the USB flash disk device (Version 1.1 or 2.0) with Mass storage class
• Supports File System including FAT12/ FAT16/ FAT32
• Search for whole disk (MP3 File)
• Input button for Play (Pause), Previous, Next, Channel Select

Here's the url:

USB Pen Drive Car MP3 Player FM Transmitter for iPod, PDA, MP3 Player, USB Flash Drive: DJ-880 (Retail, White) (Discontinued)

I am now going to see if anyone else makes a standalone USB host controller ... certainly this is an easy DIY project.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

why are so many of the portables dac/amp combo's (if the dac is not needed). Is the only reason for use with a laptop.

Yes, precisely. Like the predator and the pico. You plug in LO or HO from your PMP (and just use the amp), or USB from your laptop (and use both the DAC and the amp). One little box does both.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, precisely. Like the predator and the pico. You plug in LO or HO from your PMP (and just use the amp), or USB from your laptop (and use both the DAC and the amp). One little box does both.

Thanks for your help, just an old guy here.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 37
OK Denon actually makes one: reads wav files from a USB flash drive and sends them to a digital out (coax or USB) to route to your favorite DAC.

But it does so much more (it has its own DAC, it is a complete DJ console, etc.) that it costs more than a cheap laptop, so what's the point?

Anyway in concept this is easy and someone should/could manufacture or DIY one. USB Host Controller cards are small and cheap.

DN-HD2500

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Access /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at Logitech Squeezebox. I found the Duet to especially nice. It can transmit lossless files from a network storage or from a computer, wirelessly... to a DAC (coax or toslink).

I've further researched both the Squeezebox Duet and Classic. In practice, from what I've read, I can hook either of them up directly to my pc containing my flac files by ethernet to the network my pc is on, then take a digital coax out to my dac/amplifier.headphones. But with the signal quality be as good as fed from my cdp or directly from my computer?

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 37
all the file transfers are done in the digital domain, unless there is a connection problem or something along the way, it should be a flawless transfer, no quality will be sacrificed.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all the file transfers are done in the digital domain, unless there is a connection problem or something along the way, it should be a flawless transfer, no quality will be sacrificed.

Even if transmitted to the Squeexebox from the pc instead by wifi rather than an ethernet connection? I know that in principle it shouldn't matter, but has anyone experienced equal quality between the two for certain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back