Lossless Streaming Service you use (Poll)

Which Lossless Streaming Service (services) do you use?

• Qobuz

Votes: 102 41.0%
  • TIDAL HiFi

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Amazon Music HD

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Deezer HiFi

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Apple Music

Votes: 79 31.7%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #46 of 123
I have a Naim HE with built in streamer. I also use it wirelessly. Hooking up wired would be a real setback. Think I would lose album art and the remote’s ability to control the stream. I’d rather just wait it out while Apple works out the technical issues or Spotify delivers lossless.
I see. Ok, in this case it would be indeed pretty cumbersome… I was tired of waiting for Spotify lossless and now switched to Apple that is good enough for us. Atmos is a nice bonus (ok, my previously used Amazon Music also offers Atmos now)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #47 of 123
You can sort by either "relevance" or "release date"

I also love that they have full artist bio, comprehensive album description, and even digital booklet (not available on all albums though).

Looks like that sort by date might only be on desktop app. I only use on phone or iPad.

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #48 of 123
Update after using Qobuz for almost a month.
Can't believe that small French company can create better streaming experience than cloud/software behemoth like Amazon.
Streaming is more stable with no drop offs, desktop (PC) or mobile (Android), offline downloads work perfect, with amazon to make something start downloading on Android required few app restarts.
And attention to the quality of the output is not even comparable, you can choose between WASAPI shared/exclusive, ASIO, choose buffer size, prebuffer delay, anything to deliver hiccup free bit-perfect audio stream to DAC. Android app also supports control via BT, thing that was hit and miss with Amazon.

And sound quality is just head and shoulder above Amazon HD.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #49 of 123
I'm considering switching from Deezer back to Qobuz, but I'm not sure. Been a while since I used it tbh. Would you say it's worth it?

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #50 of 123
From what I remember Deezer had better discovery, but as for the sound quality, it's mostly MP3 with some occasional RedBook FLACs, and not sure if it was changed, but there wasn't any indication what quality you are getting, lossy or lossless. Qobuz has 30 days trial, just need fresh email if you used it before.

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #51 of 123
From what I remember Deezer had better discovery, but as for the sound quality, it's mostly MP3 with some occasional RedBook FLACs, and not sure if it was changed, but there wasn't any indication what quality you are getting, lossy or lossless. Qobuz has 30 days trial, just need fresh email if you used it before.
Most of it seems to be flac on Deezer. You can actually use a tool to download the files. Only a few albums weren't. But ya I'll give qobuz another try

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #52 of 123
Does anyone else experience issues with Qobuz when using a VPN? I live in the US, and am using a US-based IP. I use a VPN for security/privacy reasons. I don't like having to disconnect the VPN just to log in to Qobuz. Tidal works fine. I just started my 30 day free trial on Qobuz and am seriously considering dropping it for this specific reason. Anyone have any insight? And yes, I've emailed their customer service department - no help there.

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #53 of 123
Seems like VPN can be an issue, I don't use one so can't suggest anything constructive.

I did have problem accessing Tidal from corporate network, seems like they use some nonconventional ports usually blocked by IT security, Qobuz, Deezer, Amazon, all worked fine though.

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #54 of 123
Yeah, I read that thread (and others) before posting. Was just hoping someone might have had some helpful tidbit of info I couldn't find using Google-fu. Thanks for the tip though!

Feb 1, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #55 of 123
Yeah, I read that thread (and others) before posting. Was just hoping someone might have had some helpful tidbit of info I couldn't find using Google-fu. Thanks for the tip though!
Usually the problem starts when IP does not match the registration country, but you are saying you have US one, may be it's some yellow range of SUS IPs that are blacklisted.

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #56 of 123
I switched over from Tidal to Qobuz but seems like Qobuz is missing a ton of tracks that are available on Spotify and Tidal.

Is there a way to sort tracks by date added in custom playlists? I tweeted Qobuz asking them this question.

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #57 of 123
I used Amazon HD in my vehicle. It definitely sounded better but I did not realize blue tooth has limited res. I got Tidal to try... but mostly in Roon which has it's own issues. I don't have any issues with Tidal. I just started a trial with Qobuz... but honestly, I can not really tell a difference on my stuff between Tidal and Qobuz. Qobuz inventory seems a little light on most of what I listen too. I don't have a problem with Qobuz either. The "debate" on Tidal has turned me off a bit and I will most likely can it.

I have never had spotify... if they ever get hi-res I will give it a try. All my devices support it native, so...

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #58 of 123
The problem with Tidal is that they shove down your throat that MQA encoding that requires licensing fee and special hardware, but in the end is just glorified LOSSY compression. When you can get original studio high res masters in their as indented by creators bit-perfect LOSSLESS condition from other services.
What is the point of MQA existence may I ask, except royalty fee everyone using it needs to pay?
Saving network bandwidth argument quickly becomes silly nowadays.

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #59 of 123
The problem with Tidal is that they shove down your throat that MQA encoding that requires licensing fee and special hardware, but in the end is just glorified LOSSY compression. When you can get original studio high res masters in their as indented by creators bit-perfect LOSSLESS condition from other services.
What is the point of MQA existence may I ask, except royalty fee everyone using it needs to pay?
As I said... the debate has turned me off. I am well aware...

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #60 of 123
The discoveries you make in this hobby always keep it interesting.

We (me, included) spend countless hours and dollars pad-swapping, buying aftermarket cables, updating DACs and amps, tweaking EQ in search of better sound, yet the biggest improvement I have noticed in my audiophile journey the last five years was the switch from Spotify 320kbps streams to Qobuz hi-res.

Better than balanced power. Better than any aftermarket cable. Better than any DAC or amp upgrade.

Source quality REALLY matters with good gear. If you have audiophile cans and source gear and are still streaming Spotify at 320 kbps (or lower, God forbid), you're listening with one ear closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back