Lossless files and stuff
Jul 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #31 of 37

Quote:
Would .WMA Lossless be considered as good as FLAC?

Doubtful! As it is a lot more restricted in software and hardware support than most other lossless audio codecs.
Sound quality wise it is fine though - lossless.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:
I used to struggle mightily with this same issue. A few months back, I found Doug Adams' Lossless to AAC Workflow script for iTunes. Works like a charm and completely eliminates the need for a separate iPod lossy library. The big dump of about 150GB worth of AACs took three nights to finish. Every so often, I compare the Date Added column on my iPod to that of my home iTunes library. Highlight the new tunes not yet on my iPod, start the script, and come back a while later. A great utility.

Interesting.  If I did not have the iPhone, which I did not have when I bought the Classic, I would consider going this route.  With the iPhone, I have my entire library in lossy (via Jukfely) and 160GB of my library in lossless.  I am happy with the flexibility.  

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #33 of 37
I'm using Tomahawk Portaphile and d10 iBasso with UM3X and Ety 4p IEMs, plus larger Beyer headphones.  DO nothing my Apple Lossless files.  OK all that said, my 8 gb Nano has 426 songs, 1.4 days of music and I've used a little under 6gb of space.  Have a larger iPod classic but the Nano houses just music I take with me on a daily basis.

I'd think 1.4 days of music would be enough to hold you for a daily basis, particularly if you use iTunes and you can swap your music as needed.  Delete some, add others as you tire of the originals or juwst want to change your music moods

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #34 of 37

Quote:
If you're going to obsess over quality THAT much, it's time you made a promise with yourself to stop buying anything made by Apple.
All gimmick, fads, and advertising, no build quality. That and you need to void your warranty to get an acceptable firmware...

That's a little harsh...
Jailbreaking is a threat to the security of your iDevice, and it can actually make your experience worse (lags, battery draining, crashes, etc)
and Apple's build quality seems a whole lot better than most companies.

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #35 of 37

Quote:
I found an interesting link for you guys to look at.
It compares mp3 @128 and mp3 @ 320.
Of course it has some important limitations:
- extract quite short
- only one type of music
- goes through your PC sound card

Nevertheless it's an interesting experience. So can you find which one is @128 and which one is @320?
I sure couldn't.

here it is:

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/mp3-sound-quality-test-128-320/

Yay I got it correct!

I usually go with V0, not lossless,
mostly because I have too many songs and it gets a little too hard to manage when I make them all lossless :S

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #36 of 37

Quote:
That's a little harsh...
Jailbreaking is a threat to the security of your iDevice, and it can actually make your experience worse (lags, battery draining, crashes, etc)
and Apple's build quality seems a whole lot better than most companies.

I didn't experience any of those problems back when I jailbroke my 1G Touch... and I ran a lot of apps. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #37 of 37
I'm one of the few that can ABX high bite rate mp3s from lossless (in some cases, at home). . . . and I'm really OCD when it comes to lossy - I use 320 which wastes a bit of memory - but I doubt there is much of a difference if any at all between high bit rate lossy and lossless on a DAP. . . . DAPs just don't sound detailed enough to take advantage of lossless IMO its a big waste of memory. Then again I don't have an amazing pair of IEMs or anything so do whatever you feel is best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back