Loss-less is it worth it?
Mar 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Thatotherguy

New Head-Fier
Hello I have the V-moda crossfade lp's and I am wondering about lossless format. Is it worth it for me? Will I be able to hear any difference in the headphones? How do I obtain Lossless? I listen to punk rock and I youtube rip it at 156 kbps. Is apple/google/spotify going to have a higher quality than the youtube rips?
gs1000.gif
thanks 

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 16
lossless is worth it,but not on your v-modas. You need reference class headphones to hear the difference. Also,156 kbps is total ****. You should rip them at 320kbps and not on youtube. Youtube has pretty ****ty rips that are at max only 160kbps. So yea, just download torrents or buy them legit. I recomend 320kbps until you get a better headphone.

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 16
lets think,amazon sells 320kbps (VBR best kind) music,but i recomend getting flac since flac does not get crappier everytime you re rip it into different formats. There is a catch to flac though. Flac is about 10x larger than mp3 because it is not sized down. (thats how it keeps it quality) Overall,flac is better. Like i said,when you convert flac into other formats and bitrates,it doesnt loose quality.  So,if you can,download flac. Here are some good sites:http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57532487-221/top-5-sites-for-buying-flac-music/

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
lets think,amazon sells 320kbps (VBR best kind) music,but i recomend getting flac since flac does not get crappier everytime you re rip it into different formats. There is a catch to flac though. Flac is about 10x larger than mp3 because it is not sized down. (thats how it keeps it quality) Overall,flac is better. Like i said,when you convert flac into other formats and bitrates,it doesnt loose quality.  So,if you can,download flac. Here are some good sites:http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57532487-221/top-5-sites-for-buying-flac-music/

Amazon sells 256 kbps VBR MP3, not 320...

As posted by Headphile32, Google play sells 320 kbps CBR MP3.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 16
You don't even know what the bitrate is going to be on a Youtube video. The maximum bitrate is 192kbps for 720p+ afaik, but they could have uploaded it at something lower. And also when you're ripping them from youtube as compressed files, you are adding an additional level of compression. You are getting the output of a compressed file as PCM data, and then compressing that again to make your mp3 file. I did some testing on this kind of transcoding in extreme amounts(see sig) and it does have a definite effect at lower bitrates, takes a while to be noticable with higher bitrates though(320kbps).

As far as whether lossless is worth it compared to high bitrate compressed files, not really. Unless you just want peace of mind. You can always compare between them yourself to be safe.

Bandcamp is another good place to get music in a lot of different formats though.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 16
Are you in Pc or Mac?

Also Boomkat is another good place for FLAC average price is the same as iTunes.

If your in a mac A good converter from FLAC - ALAC (to be able to play in iTunes) is Music Converter Pro - allows you to choose the bitrate, format, KHz, mono or stereo

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 16
I think you can hear a difference between mp3 and a good flac on V-moda. I can recommend hdtracks.com as a good source of good quality music files. However there are a few other places. Just use google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back