Losing significant SQ on KSC 35's because of design ?
Nov 30, 2003 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sweet Spot

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering if anyone here has tried to mod their KSC 35's so that theyd get a tighter fit ? I really love them, and am pretty happy with their SQ, but I feel that because of how they hang so loosely on my ears, I"m losing a good deal of bass and overall depth. I notice this problem when I press them lightly on my ears w/my fingers. The difference in sound is very evident. What's the difference between the 35's and the Porta Pros or Sporta Pros ? Are the drivers really different ? Because what Im thinking is , I could design a head or neck type of thing, that would contract/extract allowing for more pressure to be put on the KSC's...

Nov 30, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 19
Sorry...Sound Quality.

Nov 30, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

What's the difference between the 35's and the Porta Pros or Sporta Pros ?

The internal drivers on all three (as well as the KSC50's, and KSC55's) are all the same. The difference is in the headband, or ear clips, and driver cases. I like the folding headband design on my Sportapros.

Nov 30, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 19
I have actually come up with a method to fix this problem. It involves a soldering iron. I'll post pics later, but i'll describe the technique now.
First heat up the soldering iron. I used a 20w. Hold the clip over the iron. You'll feel the clip weaken and at this point, bend it however you like.

Nov 30, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 19
My old KSC-50's were well-broken in and sounded great except for the grattle. The new ones I got were horribl due to the fact that their pads were new, and at least 3 mm thick!!! Removing them really helped the sound. The sound as a whole relaxed and smoothed out. The details were more present also. Highly reccommended.

Nov 30, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

The internal drivers on all three (as well as the KSC50's, and KSC55's) are all the same. The difference is in the headband, or ear clips, and driver cases.

Wholy crap man. So you're telling me that the over bloated bass on the PP's is nullified by changing the housing ? That's pretty amazing considering that I don't see much of a difference housing wise aside from the head band or lack thereof with the 35's. I should get my PP's fixed so I can compare the 2.

Quote:

First heat up the soldering iron. I used a 20w. Hold the clip over the iron. You'll feel the clip weaken and at this point, bend it however you like..

This may just work. Were you really able to get a much tighter fit this way ? Thanks for the idea..I just hope I don't break them. Also, do the drivers seperate from the clips ? I'm worried about melting the outer membrane.

EDIT: MD1032, what did you replace the original pads with...or are you just going bare ? If so...isn't that painful ?

Nov 30, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 19
I don't think that touching it is even necessary. You can probably just hold the iron over the clip(s) & using the generated heat one should be able to manipulate the plastic. ............ .......... I think.

Nov 30, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 19
I was able to improve the fit of my KSC-55s by dipping the headband into boiling water and bending slightly. The driver was originally sitting at an angle to the plane of my outer ear, I was able to get it more nearly flat on my ear.

Nov 30, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
EDIT: MD1032, what did you replace the original pads with...or are you just going bare ? If so...isn't that painful ?

I'm going bare, and believe it or not, it's MUCH more comfortable. No heat buildup whatsoever, no sandpaper pads scraping against my ears (the KSC-50's are pretty darn loose), no stress against the clips. Excellent. The whole thing is improved a lot.

Nov 30, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
Wholy crap man. So you're telling me that the over bloated bass on the PP's is nullified by changing the housing ?

There was a whole thread about this. The consensus was that the KSC-35, PortaPro, and SportaPro use the same cellulose drivers, but that the KSC-50 use a different and inferior titanium driver.

It also turns out that the sound quality difference between the KSC-35 and PortaPro was not caused by the different fit. Someone mounted their KSC-35 drivers in their PortaPros to prove this. Apparently the cable is what makes the difference between the two phones.

Here's the thread:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=42184

Dec 1, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 19
We've already discussed this. The KSC-50's drivers are the SAME as the rest of the family. The part number is the same, they're just colored differently.

Dec 2, 2003 at 7:46 AM Post #15 of 19
As promised, it's time for pics. First, it's where to put the iron, but i advise taking off the clip first. I did it because i was too lazy to take off the clip.
tongue.gif
The second pic is just a pic of what my KSC-35s look like.
KSC-35%20soldering.JPG

KSC-35.JPG

*EDIT* I don't know why the first pic doesn't work! Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back