Losing our dog
Nov 3, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #46 of 65
My deepest sympathy.

It is a terrible decision to make but our vet told us that your dog will let you know when it is time and he was right. It is hard to let go but it is the compassionate thing to do. We grieved for several months then got a new dog, you never forget your lost friends but getting a new dog (when you are ready) really does help.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #48 of 65
GAD, condolences. I am sorry for your loss.
We went through that with two of our beloved dogs, year before last, and we still miss them, but the passing of time does help, as does, like Ken36 said, getting another puppy to love when you're ready.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #50 of 65
Sorry to hear that. I lost my dog to cancer last year, we put him down because although we had operated him 2 years prior for 2 cancers he had and it found a way to spread even more than prior while making my dog deaf and partly blind, we chose to do so when he seemed to have lost all his happiness in living.

Best thought to you GAD, I can only sympathize.

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #51 of 65
My condolences, GAD.

I've been thru that several times with my own dogs, and it seems to get more difficult each time. I guess each successive dog became even more a part of the family. The toughest part for me the last time was reconciling my own selfishness with doing what's best for the dog. You are a good owner & friend, and are doing the right thing for her.

Time will heal, if not make you forget (not that you'd want to, really). Perhaps, eventually you will be ready for another.

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #53 of 65
Sorry to hear that GAD. Our red persian pumpkin died 10 weeks ago. She bounced back for 12 weeks and fooled me. When she went, I wanted to believe she could bounce back again. 16 years was a long time for us to get used to having her with us.

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #54 of 65
I practised as a vet for 10 years and euthanased more pets than I'd care to remember in that time. Whilst it is terribly difficult for an owner to bring the life of a beloved family pet to an end, it is, ultimately, a selfless act motivated by tremendous humanity, love and respect.

My best wishes to you GAD,

James

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #55 of 65
I'm so sorry for your loss GAD; it must be terribly hard. My girlfriend and I have a 14 year-old toy poodle who has been her companion since she was little, and I'm dreading the day we (and our much younger dog) have to go through what you are right now... Best wishes, Andy.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #56 of 65
I'm very sorry that you are going thru this. We have three dogs and I raised and trained them all. They still should all have many years left but when that time comes I'm going to be a wreck. I've had dogs all my life so I know what it's like.

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #57 of 65
GAD, tough one. Hang in there.

Simon

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #60 of 65
I hope you were able to get through this ok. It is a very difficult thing to lose a family member under any circumstances, but what you've done is incredibly hard. Take comfort in the fact that you've done the right thing and there will be better times ahead.

Regards,
Orcin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back