Loreena McKennitt--An Ancient Muse Tour --> Scottsdale, AZ
Apr 13, 2007 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zle83

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone planning on going to this concert on May 9th?

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 12
i'll be seeing the april 20th show @ radio city - it's a great hall and i haven't been there in ages. i'm really looking fwd to it.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 12
There are no Head-Fiers here that I am aware of. I know there are some in El Paso which is an hours away. I am trying to meet up with some people and head over to AZ.

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 12
Moved.
wink.gif

Wrt RCMH, I was there a few weeks ago to see the Gypsy Kings. The venue is beautiful, and the acoustics were pretty good. But I am "over" large venue concerts, and Radio City is on the too-large side for me. I'd prefer to see her at the Beacon.

Wrt Loreena, can anyone atest to or critique her new CD, or the recent remasters of her old stuff?

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moved.
wink.gif

Wrt RCMH, I was there a few weeks ago to see the Gypsy Kings. The venue is beautiful, and the acoustics were pretty good. But I am "over" large venue concerts, and Radio City is on the too-large side for me. I'd prefer to see her at the Beacon.

Wrt Loreena, can anyone atest to or critique her new CD, or the recent remasters of her old stuff?

Her new CD (An Ancient Muse) took a while to grow on me. Overall, it does not compare with her older albums; however, there are 3 really good songs which I highly recommend. Caravanserai, Penelope's Song, and Beneath a Phrygian Sky. These are in no particular order; they are all great.

I have not heard anything about any recent remasters of her old stuff.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i prefer smaller venues too. is she playing elsehwere, such as the beacon? when the tour was announced the only ny area gig i saw listed was @ radio city. this is her first tour in 9 yrs so i figured it's now and there, or i may not see her play at all.
it's funny that you mention the gks, 'cause they mighta been the last act that i saw there, and that was quite a while ago. perhaps my favorite concert that i saw performed there was the dead back in 1980 when they did 2 electric and 1 acoustic set each night. yes played there a few yrs back, and i love seeing them play, but i found out about it after the fact. i don't seem to be in that loop so much anymore. mainly i see live bands at music festivals.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 12
I'll be going on the 21st in Boston.

I have the remastered "the mask and mirror" CD. It does seem marginally better than the original, in detail and focus. I haven't compared closely enough, though, so it may even be in my mind....

I like the new CD, it seems a continuation of sorts from The Book Of Secrets and tmam; there are aspects of each that are on An Ancient Muse. I agree with zle83 regarding the 3 standout songs, but did find myself "into it" perhas a little easier.

My favorite show of hers was actually an in-store appearance in Cambridge, MA, supporting tmam tour. She was standing perhaps 10-12 feet away from me, and the power and beauty of her voice, coming form that diminuative frame, was just breath-taking. The whole band stayed afterwards to chat and sign autographs, it was very nice.

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 12
so we saw her last night at Radio City Music Hall - what a lovely place for such lovely music. a good time was had by all. it raised some interesting questions in my mind at the time about the nature of the visual element in listening to music and how different equipment may try to 'supply' that. in high end audio there's been an aspect that grew over the years to give a highly focused optical quality to the image. there was also a backlash against it in some quarters as being unnatural. i kind of like it as it helps your minds eye by giving you a sense of something that is removed by the nature of listening to a reproduction on a stereo. phones do it differently with their image much more inside your head. enough rambling for now. mebbe i'll expand this notion in it's own thread. Todd, have a good time at tonight's show (and sorry about your bo sox). hope to hear all about it.

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks, Dave, just got back from the concert, truly amazing! It eclipsed her concert I saw back in '95.....

The hall in Boston was the Wang Center, also a fine place visually and pretty much aurally.

The one bad part was a gent who yelled something out. Once was OK, but Loreena made the mistake of answering him. Then, after the intermission, he yelled out about 4 or 5 things. Nice way to make a horse's behind of yourself....

Another person yelled out "I love you, Loreena" at one point. It was all I could do to steal the audience response from Alison Kraus & Union Station Live; somone yelled that line in her show, and then someone ELSE yelled, "I love you more...."

But still, it was beautiful. The band was so in synch, and they clearly had a fun time, lots of smiles back and forth (though the drummer looked like he needed to go back to the Megadeath tour after Loreena's
icon10.gif
). Brian Hughes, Hugh Marsh, and Caroline Lavelle were just amazing, feeding a ton of energy and emotion off each other.

Three encores.....

Quite the experience.

I picked up the Video/CD package (2 of them; one will come your way, Michael!). This will surely get a lot of playing time.

Dave, you bring up the visual concept, perhaps it was something Loreena or the concert reminded you of.

I bring up passion. Many of my top/favorite makers of music - the Chameleons UK, Loreena McKennitt, Heather Nova, and others - are very different in style. Yet all have this passion in their music that carries through to the listener IMO. This sets them apart from others I hear, even in the same genres, and makes their music enduring. Seeing the concert tonight brought that out in spades; the entire band had an incredible passion.

OK, enough rambling.....

Good night

May 11, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 12
This was, by far, the most amazing concert that I have EVER been too. The acoustics were great for being outdoors. HEAVENLY! I was 10 yards from her. Wow, that was an experience of a lifetime. I hope she tours once or twice more in this region before she retires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back