Lordy!! Why did I waste my money!!
Mar 11, 2004 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Eurastus

New Head-Fier
I posted this last night in the HeadRoom Forum, but thought it might well be appropriate for all...

I had a revelation yesterday afternoon.
600smile.gif
You see, I ordered a pair of HD650's from Jamey at HeadRoom a couple of weeks ago and they showed up rather unexpectedly. I've been using a pair of HD580's for the last few months (after falling into the head-fi trap). I had read several posts here that they would make a fine match for my needs; I listen to CDs and XM Radio through an Audigy 2 XS Platinum Pro at work.
blink.gif
I know it's not an audiophile card, but it's killer at games...more on that later...

Well, the 580's were certainly a step up from the HD475's I've been running for several years (like 5-7 years, I think). However, the 580's weren't what I had hoped.
confused.gif
So I picked up one of the Meier Corda HA1 (the original) from one of the e-bay auctions Jude's been running here on head-fi and that sure made a difference. I was still not satisfied, though.
frown.gif
I began to wonder if I had some hearing loss, or something. Maybe you guys hear something I don't, huh? Even when I took my HA1 home and hooked it straight into my Sony DVP-NS999ES's output jacks and listened to several nice SACD's that sound great through my B&W speakers, I wasn't that impressed with the headphone rig. I started regretting the money I'd spent (around $400 by this time).
mad.gif

So...I ran across an offer I couldn't refuse on a pair of HD650's from the good boys at HeadRoom. I figured I could sell the lot (HA1, 580's, and 650's) here if I couldn't hear much difference.
plainface.gif

Well, I'm here to tell you, straight out of the box with the 650's and I've never heard music that good in my life.
icon10.gif

I slipped in an Enya CD that I know well and heard amazing detail that I've never heard before. Bass was great,
basshead.gif
and the squeeling sax and ride cymbals on a David Sanborn cut brought me to tears.
eek.gif

Yea, I'm keepin' 'em. I've even got a guy in the office down the hall that's making sounds like he wants the 580's.

Wow...I think a better sound card is next. We'll see what the finances bring now that I've already spent so much. Maybe if I sell the 580's, huh?

Don't let anyone tell you the 580's are almost as good as the 650's. Not even close. I just wish I'd gotten the 650's to begin with.

Mar 11, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Cool, glad you found head-fi happiness. I agree, compared to the the 650s the 580's are harsher (especially upper mids/highs), less coherent, thin, and unrefined. And the 580s by themselves are by no means bad cans. I also find that the 600s are a very big improvement over the 580s, though the sonic balance is much more similar. There was a time when the 600s and 580s sounded very close to me, but my ears were untrained back then, and my equipment sucked. Now I'm amazed that such seemingly minor modifications between these models makes such a difference in the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back