Lord of the Rings - Two Towers
Dec 12, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #16 of 41
rick,
i think they are building lounge type theaters in california. tix are expensive, but you can drink, you sit in an easy chair with your own headphone jack. it would be worth the extra money to me.

sie,
i'm a huge dvd fan, but "helms deep" just will not be the same on tv as in the theater.

Dec 12, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #17 of 41
smoking or non-smoking
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 13, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
sie,
i'm a huge dvd fan, but "helms deep" just will not be the same on tv as in the theater.

TV?? I own an Epson LCD Projector!! TV, we don't need no stinking TV!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #19 of 41
Hmm, ya, I got advance tickets too, I'm going to see it with my friends at 10:30pm the first day. I need to finish the second book by then! The sad truth however, is that I can't decide if I'm more exited about Two Towers or Nemesis.. I am a Trek fan after all, and it looks like they might finaly have a good Next Generation movie. It will have taken them long enough. However, The Two Towers should be incredible. I can't wait to see how they pack it all in to the movie. I'm not sure how far I am into the book, but if it were all there, it would already be several hours of screen time.. They did a pretty good job with the first one though, they didn't leave too much out.

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #20 of 41
DW,

Make sure to let us know whether or not Nemesis is any good!!! I would hate to actually fork out the money to go and see a movie in the theater and have it really bomb!!

Dec 13, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #21 of 41
Ok. I'll give it a fair shake down if I actualy manage to get into the theater after work. This might mean I don't get dinner, which is bad news, so a few people in line might get eaten, thus getting me closer to my seat..

I love Star Trek, but the movies have kind of bothered me some, I can't really put my finger on it.. Maybe it's the new Enterprise, or the new purple and black uniforms, or they way it's always really dark. It seems like they are trying WAY too hard to modernize it and make it seem more bad ass, it doesn't feel like Next Generation any more. Seems like they are going to try the same thing with Nemesis, but it also looks like they might make it bad ass enough to be worth it. We will have to wait and see. I seem to remember that I liked the first of the next generation movies ok though, it wasn't so far gone from the series yet.

Dec 13, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
TV?? I own an Epson LCD Projector!! TV, we don't need no stinking TV!!!
biggrin.gif

well, ok, but i'll take my two story high cinerama screen that fills up my entire vision, along with the best sound system and dlp system. yes, the sound will probably liquify my organs, and the sight will melt my eyeballs, but that's the point, right?
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #23 of 41
Of course!!
biggrin.gif
But since the projector was free and a TV in Latin America costs several times what they do in the states, I'll stick with what I have!!!
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
get some ety er20 plugs.

Swingin' idea! I almost forgot about mine. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow morning @ LOTR II.

Dec 18, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #25 of 41
This morning the office crew set out for the Emagine Entertainment theatre in Novi, Michigan. It was sponsored by Network Appliance for their business partners and customers. They also had door prizes and t-shirts, the latter one of my weaknesses -- well, any good ole' freebie is a bonus.

We arrived at 8:00 AM, and they opened the doors at around five after 8:00. We waited patiently in the lobby, signed some little form, got a ticket for free medium drink + popcorn, and snagged our perfect seats (half way up, and half way
). Cashed in our little vouchers, and listened to a regional manager give a NetApp schpeal, and they started with the freebies. My wife was swift enough to snag a t-shirt out of the air (the Network Appliance reps were tossing around the theatre).

Then we sat through about 20 minutes of previews. It was horrid. It was so long that we joked about them having a preview for the third LOTR movie.
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, the movie was great. It picked up from the first movie perfectly and phew, it was action packed from the start. It has been said to me that they filmed all three movies at one time, and if that's true, I can see it clearly -- because I just watched the LOTR::Fellowship (looks like a Perl CPAN module name) for the first time just last week and this second movie had great continuity.

I won't say anything about the movie until some time has passed, but I will say this -- you will enjoy it very much. Some of our group said that they liked this one even more than the first. I'm still on the fence.​

Dec 19, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #26 of 41
yes all three were filmed at the same time which is so cool when you think about sequels. Sometimes the original cast can not be retained and if they are they are older and look different.

Then it is a "new" project , no continuity.

Well this is continuity at its best ,all film done , just a matter of release dates .

Dec 19, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #27 of 41
I was extremely pleased with how this one turned out. Instead of babbling elves that made me sleepy in the first film, this one had mostly orcs being crushed, sliced, beheaded, squished and burned, along with an expensive insane cgi muppet. How can you knock that? The sets, special effects and pacing of this film blow the first one away.

I saw it at midnight last night at a "normal" theater. It's also running on an IMAX screen here in Dallas, so I'll be seeing it again soon.

Dec 19, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
Sometimes the original cast can not be retained and if they are they are older and look different.

Like Mark Hammil in the original Star Wars. Between Star Wars and Return of the Jedi he had an accident and his face went thru a windshield or something. That's why his face is covered thru the beginning of the movie, and then his face gets hit by the yeti before you really have a chance to see his face. All that is avoidable when you film so much all at once, but no one does that. I wonder why???

Dec 19, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

All that is avoidable when you film so much all at once, but no one does that. I wonder why???

Because it costs money. And usually it is not 100% certain that a film is popular enough to do a sequel.

I saw The two towers today. It's amazing. I read the books as a teenager and parts of the movie was like a mirror of my mind pictures when reading the book.

Dec 19, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #30 of 41
I just saw it a few hours ago...didn't like it as much as the first one. I felt that they were trying to add a bit too much humor into it...kinda dummied the dialogue down. The special effects were hit or miss, seemed cheapened down in some parts, while in others they were great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back