Lord of the Rings - Two Towers
Dec 12, 2002 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

neil

500+ Head-Fier
Well, there's a goofy thread started re: some other link; however, I thought I'd talk about the real deal holyfield. Just FYI, I saw LOTR Fellowship for the first time last weekend. My wife and I haven't watched it yet, and we wanted to be ready for the second one that comes out on December 18th.

Thanks to some corporate event that us whatUseek guys got invited to, the whole work crew is heading over to the local super-duper theater at 8:30AM on Wednesday morning (opening day) to watch it, for free! I hope they have food. Nothing like freshly popped popcorn and a diet coke for breakfast.

I can't wait. Loved the first movie, and that was on my wee-little television. Now, we get to watch it on a big ass (most likely full digital) theater.

Any other LOTR fans here? Anyone so pumped they'll be seeing it on opening day? Or better yet, any of you Michigan/Detroit geeks going on Wednesday morning to the Network Appliance sponsored event?

Dec 12, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 41
I'm seeing it TWICE on opening day!

Once at 12:30 pm with a couple of co-workers (we're taking the day off.)

Once at 8:30 pm with a gaggle of friends.

Sad but true... I am the king of all fanboys.

I grew up on the books (I've read the Hobbit, the trilogy, and the Silmarillion at least a half dozen times each.) I'm glad I feel the first movie (and by all indications the next two) captured the spirit, if not every niggling detail, of Tolkien's universe. It could've all gone so badly... but instead, improbably, Peter Jackson gave me my favorite (thus far) movie.

Dec 12, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 41
Dec 12, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 41
I'm looking forward to it. I'm not as excited about seeing TTT though as I am about getting my new headphones
very_evil_smiley.gif

My brother has to be one of the biggest Tolkien fans/geeks on the planet, so he has enough enthusiasm for the both of us
biggrin.gif
;;

I'm going to see it sometime after classes on the opening day. Watching the preview again this looks like it will be a very, very awesome movie...

My theater doesn't generally do midnight showings. The only time I think they did one was for Star Wars Episode I. I had camped out and everything...the movie was sort of a mondo disappointment, though =^/

Dec 12, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 41
I am going to see it and hopefully I am going to like it. The first one was pretty cool, and I have it on DVD. Do I really love the whole thing? No. I love that 5 seconds or so where the cave troll is smashing stuff and trying to wack the dwarf yet he keeps missing and wacking little goblins. The dynamics of that scene are just unreal. For those who don't have the 50$ special edition DVD (I don't my friend does) they had Peter Jackson put on some VR goggles and carry a motion capture fake 'camera' that essentially allowed him to be able to film that scene in the digital world as if he were there. Pretty damn cool, and thats what really makes that scene work is that 'you are there' handheld style. Poor George Lucas upstaged by teensy weensy WETA digital.

Anyhow I hear there is some kind of 45 minute battle on an epic scale so grand that it transcends even the idea of biblical proportions. Sounds like fun, sounds like there won't be another movie to surpass this one for years to come. Sounds like... Sounds like entertainment.

Dec 12, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 41
I didn't even see the first one in the theater (!), but I'm going with some friends to the 12:01 showing of TTT on opening night (morning, whatever). Should be fun.

Dec 12, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 41
the whole family is going.we all enjoyed #1 and have the DVD which we will watch as a refresher the previous day.

MINI RANT - why do theater surround sound systems sound like such carap ?

TURN THE FRIGGIN' THING DOWN MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif

When the volume is too high or the system mis-adjusted the effects are more anoying than they are in synergy with the view on the screen.

Dec 12, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Poor George Lucas upstaged by teensy weensy WETA digital.

not only that, but compare the digital backgrounds in ep1 & 2 to the miniatures they used in fotr. the interiors look so damn fake and painted on in ep1 & 2, and rivendale etc. look so much more solid and real. plus with gollum being played by a real actor (whose performance was digitally "sampled") allows the flesh actors to respond naturally. lucas i think uses a carboard cutout on a stick for his cgi character stand-ins, and the actors really look uninspired, standing in a blue-screened stage acting against a place marker.

Dec 12, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
the whole family is going.we all enjoyed #1 and have the DVD which we will watch as a refresher the previous day.

MINI RANT - why do theater surround sound systems sound like such carap ?

TURN THE FRIGGIN' THING DOWN MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif

When the volume is too high or the system mis-adjusted the effects are more anoying than they are in synergy with the view on the screen.

rick,
get some ety er20 plugs. i use mine in the theater and it:
1) turns the volume down
2) turns the volume of the people around me down
3) softened the knife-edge treble many theater sound systems have

there is a little loss of detail, but i can still hear surround cues and i don't leave with a headache.

Dec 12, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 41
I'll wait for theDVD release next year!! That way the price of admission and food will allow me to watch the movie many, many times any time I want!!!

Dec 12, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 41
Makes damn good sense.I wonder what the actual SPL levels are in a theater ?
I'd be willing to bet if it was a work site OSHA would shut them down quick !

Should take my radio shack spl meter and check it out , then sue the bast*rds for hearing loss.
No real reason not to set upa multi-$K system correctly other than being inept.

If i had the funds I would open up a theater and show them how it is done ! Directionals without ear bleed,good LF channel withoput being the dominant factor-only feel it when the scene called for it.

Better yet , a "lounge theater" with headphone jacks at each chair and individual volume controls.Dolby Headphone feed of course and some mid-price cans plus the option to bring your own !
I would go there .

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back