Loose tube socket, does this affect the sound?
Oct 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lumify

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a new La Figaro 339, and I found that the left tube has some wiggle room, while the right tube is pretty snug. It seems like it's still connected reasonably well to some of the sockets though. I've tried this with 4 different tubes, so I know it's the socket, not the tube. The left channel is a little quieter than the right channel, but I don't know if this is because of the connection or because of some random irrelevant part. Would this looseness affect the sound at all?

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 6
One channel isn't more noisy, per se. I just have to turn the left channel up more than the right to get the same volume. If I return this, it will be my second consecutive return due to (partially) channel imbalances. I had the same problem with my old Practical Devices XM6. It's not really an issue on the 339 because I can adjust the volume for each channel separately.

Would a loose socket affect the sound quality? I can't really tell right now because I'm having hearing problems (see my thread in sound science). It seems like it is making contact partially at least.

In addition to the loose socket, the channels are reversed. The left input leads to the right channel and vice versa.

I don't really have much to compare to other than my XM6 with imbalanced channels, but are these problems common? It seems like I'm somehow doing something wrong and I don't want to abuse the sellers for it.

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
 . . . but are these problems common? It seems like I'm somehow doing something wrong and I don't want to abuse the sellers for it.

No, not common.

It isn't you.  I also always want to be respectful of the other side in a transaction but you are entitled to a properly functioning piece of kit, especially buying new.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm returning it; thanks for the advice guys! I'm looking for a new amp now. 
smile.gif
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/574621/help-me-find-a-realistic-amp-for-800-or-less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back