1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to upgrade,need some advice

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by spiral out, Dec 31, 2013.
  1. Spiral Out
    My current system consists of:

Music Streamer II
    Straight Wire Encore II interconnect
    Headroom Little base amp
    Grado SR225

I purchased the Music Streamer II a few months ago. I'm very happy with the improvements it brought to my system. It really took a lot of metallic edge off of digital recordings. The amp and headphones I have had for close to 12 years. Recently I have been itching to upgrade either the amp or headphones. I have driven myself crazy searching the interweb for various options. Currently, there are a few headphones that have massive price cuts and seem like fantastic deal. The models I'm considering are:

Beyerdynamic  DT-880 ($196)
    AKG Q701 ($199)
    Sennheiser HD 598 ($187)

I listen to mostly rock and progressive rock/metal. For example Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin,Tool, Porcupine Tree,Yes, and Rush.

I enjoy my 225's and do not find them overly bright or fatiguing as many people do. The only problems I have with them are that I cant wear them for more than a couple of hours without burning my ears and with some recordings they are a little too sibilant . I also find the soundstage a bit narrow. Right now I'm leaning towards the DT-880. From what I have read they have a livelier sound somewhat like the Grado and are extremely comfortable. Before I bought the 225's I had a set of Sennheiser 580's. I found them to be too dark and lifeless. It makes me leary of the Sennheiser's. I have read great things about the 598's though. The Q701's are supposed to be smoother than the BT-880 but I'm afraid they will be too smooth for the music I listen to.

I would like to avoid making a lateral move and have been going back and forth whether I should purchase new headphones at all. Another option I have been considering is holding onto the 225's and getting a Little Dot 1+. I have read fantastic thing about the synergy between the two.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!