Looking to upgrade my Sennheiser HD-280s..
Dec 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Uncontrol

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I've had my HD-280s for years and now I'm looking to upgrade them as a Christmas present to myself.

I mainly listen to music through my iPod without an amp. I've heard it's not best to use higher end headphones with an iPod, but I listen to most of my music away from a computer. 

So, my questions are..

1) What do you recommend I upgrade to? I'm looking for something in the $200, maybe $300 range. Also, I mainly listen to rock music.

2) Could someone explain the aforementioned iPod issue to me? Would an amp fix it?

Thanks!

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 11
How important is isolation? do they need to be portable? 

and..headphones sometimes need amps to sounds at their best, not always. It depends on the headphone impedance. 

Welcome to headfi btw. 
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 11
I would prefer closed headphones. And define portable? I thought all headphones were portable? Sorry, I'm just not completely savvy when it comes to audio.

And thanks. This topic was the reason I registered an account lol

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I would prefer closed headphones. And define portable? I thought all headphones were portable? Sorry, I'm just not completely savvy when it comes to audio.

And thanks. This topic was the reason I registered an account lol

Not all headphones are portable...you know some of them are bulky, for home listening mainly. 

Im using the HD-25 I II, they have a great isolation. They do well with rock music and such genres.  

If you want an open back headphone, consider grado models. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 11
Portable in the sense that I'd look dorky wearing them out in public? Lol that's fine. I usually use them in my room and on car trips.

One thing I disliked about the HD-280s were the cuffs, there were kind of small around my ears and they would hurt after prolonged periods of use.

The HD-25 I-IIs look like they'd be murder on. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Portable in the sense that I'd look dorky wearing them out in public? Lol that's fine. I usually use them in my room and on car trips.

Right. 
biggrin.gif

Some people complain about the clamp force on the HD-25's. They get better on time..

The grados are good, but they leak sound like crazy. (you ok with this?)

Another option, the Aiaiai TMA-1's. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Hmm..

The Amazon reviews on the Aiaiai (how you pronounce that? aye aye aye?) say that these require EQ and the iPod doesn't have an equalizer. 
frown.gif
 I think I might need bigger cups than the ones your recommended. They ARE supposed to go over the ear, right?

People talk a lot of about the ATH-M50s...will these have a much higher sound quality than my HD-280s? Would you recommend those or is something better? 

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 11
After doing some research I was thinking about getting the Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO 250 ohms with the FiiO E11 amp. Would the E11 have enough power for the 250 ohms?

Any reason that would not be a good upgrade for me?

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
After doing some research I was thinking about getting the Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO 250 ohms with the FiiO E11 amp. Would the E11 have enough power for the 250 ohms?
Any reason that would not be a good upgrade for me?

I really do like the sound of My Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.
I would "guess" the Fiio E11 would do the job.
Get the Fiio L cable (plugs into the LOD) for use with the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back