Looking to upgrade my computer setup...
Aug 6, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's quite a generalization there, I'll just have to say it's not really true. Not all sound cards are meant for gaming and most DACs in the same price-range will not match a good sound card for performance.

Take the Asus Xonar DX. At $90, it's a pretty damn good soundcard and will easily take on any $100 DAC, not that there are many at that price. Looking at the $150 market, the Auzentech Prelude offers great value and performance while still being likely the best choice for PC transport for the price.

When going to the somewhat expensive section of $250+, there are dedicated DACs that will surpass PC soundcards, but mostly because of the size, voltage (PSU) and interface constraints.

Newegg.com - Silverstone EB01-B Premiun USB digital to analog converter,Black - Adapters & Gender Changers

Looks like a few people who own this product disagree with you. It also seems that your statement is just as broad and encompassing as mine. How many of those sound cards so you own and do you own Dac I recommended? You may want to read what people are saying about the 180 dollar version of the Xonar.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132001

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TehNomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, I have some old Altec Lansing speakers from onboard sound.

I'm thinking of buying speakers, a sound card, and a DAC, but I don't want to spend more than $100 on each.

I listen to a mix of classical/metal mostly, with some jazz, electronic, and hip-hop thrown in, but I'm really looking for speakers geared to a classical sound, since the SR60s I have don't really play classical that well. I'm a cellist, so I listen to a lot of cello music.

Looking around these forums, I saw the Swan M10s got glowing reviews. Would they be suitable?

What part of this indicates he needs a gaming card?

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #18 of 27
aye, please don't be reading newegg reviews, they're usually complete crap

as far as "what indicates a gaming card", nothing counter-indiciated it either, so it was worth asking

I would also love to point out that in most reviews (digit-life, guru3d, etc) the PCIe (D2X) Xonar solidly trashes on the PCI (D2) Xonar, no idea why, since they both have the same hardware, but the PCIe one tends to be regarded as much higher quality

Grado's don't need an amp, generally speaking (you can, but it isn't required just to drive them), meaning you can drive them from your soundcard, one advantage with the Auzen boards is opamp rolling, and if you're driving the headphones directly from the card, why not have that degree of customization?

another option is the reciever that fallenangel suggested, or something similar to that, it'll act as a decent headamp for your SR-60's, and provide a decent starting point for your desktop sound system

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #19 of 27
I might want to go with FallenAngel's suggestion then, because I don't have a desktop sound system at all (actually, my family has some nice Paradigm speakers for our home theater, but I don't use it for music because all my music is on my computer).

EDIT: The Marantz that's for sale is local pickup, and I don't live near California.

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 27
You can definitely get a good deal on older receivers but yeah, they're mostly either going to be local pickup or the shipping is going to make it overpriced. Just look through your local Buy/Sells or search online for sales within driving distance.

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 27
On the speaker side, are the Infinity Primus 152s good? They're pretty cheap on Amazon ($50), and reading around, people seem to be satisfied with them. But I'll need a subwoofer with them right?

EDIT: I was just thinking about my desk layout, and I might not have enough space for a receiver. I'll take a picture when I get home and then get some opinions.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TehNomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the speaker side, are the Infinity Primus 152s good? They're pretty cheap on Amazon ($50), and reading around, people seem to be satisfied with them. But I'll need a subwoofer with them right?

EDIT: I was just thinking about my desk layout, and I might not have enough space for a receiver. I'll take a picture when I get home and then get some opinions.

Under the monitor

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #23 of 27
Here's an extremely painful cellphone image of my desk:

The central partition is about 24" wide, and there isn't much space behind my monitor. The right side of the desk sits against a wall.

Thoughts?

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #25 of 27
the closet isn't horrible for the computer, depending on the hardware its running and how thick the wood is, I've run low powered servers and whatnot in those little closets with no issue (and if you've seen what commerical implemntations do...yikes)

but yeah, if its a performance gaming rig, let it breathe the fresh air of freedom (or at least taste the stale inside house-air outside of the little closet)

depending on what you do, receiver wise, it might be able to go up on top of the hutch thing, or similar

under the monitor is a heat issue for both, receivers cool via passive radiation, monitors are very sensitive to heat (and EMI)

you might also consider just getting a little nightstand/table thing at a local thrift shop or "home goods" place (i have no idea what genre its called, places where you can buy weird accent furniture, yarn, plants, etc (or is it unique that I have such a store where I live?))

Aug 7, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 27
I'll try removing the shelves on the side partition for the bookshelves, the sub can go on the floor where my feet are, and the receiver can probably go on top.

I'm also going to move the computer, I just haven't had the time. Remarkably, it idles only at 50C.

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #27 of 27
is that ambient case temperature, or CPU temperature?

either way, thats too high for idle temperature, and I'm doubting the move out to your room will help it enough (if thats case ambient, it needs to drop around 25* C, if thats CPU ambient, it needs to drop around 20* C) you might want to look at upgrading cooling, or at least cleaning that thing out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back