Looking to upgrade HD555's
Jan 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

eXecute

New Head-Fier
So I stumbled upon this forum after spending years using avsforum as my "go to" source for audio and video products.  I am not sure if the members here know, but some members actually point people over here when they want to know a lot about headphones... so here I am!

I am on the quest for the next level headphones.  Currently I have HD555's with the foam mod, I use them for mostly gaming, but I am starting to listen to a lot more music lately.  I was listening to Grimes (if anyone is familiar) and the soundstage impressed me...now I am once again obsessed.  It's all digitally created from what I know, but my headphones actually dealt with it pretty well!  

On a similar note I have 3.1 (strange I know) klipsch synergy speakers (F2's and a C3) that I am looking to upgrade to at least the reference series and I pair that with an Onkyo 609.  I am growing out of that equipment as well, but I note this because I appreciate the brightness of those speakers.

From what I see it is not really worth amping my 555's if that is correct?

I guess what I am mostly looking for is a pair that is a little more bright and has even better soundstage (in all aspects).  It would be nice if my next pair was also a little more durable as mine (like many others) are starting to crack a bit in less than a year.  The last question people will likely ask is my price range.  I'm not too too sure about that yet, but I am thinking around $300 for my new setup.

What do you guys think?  And thank you in advance!

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 14
Welcome to headfi!! I am not the expert here, as I've only owned two Senn's recently. The hd598 and the hd650. I would say that you are not looking for the hd650...it is not considered bright at all and takes a good amp to shine. You could be after the hd598 though. It amps easy has a great sound stage and is in your budget.

The hd600 is also one to take a look at. 

Wish that I could help more. Someone else will chime in. 

gL!!

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 14
Hmph... The Mdr MA900s (Sony) have a wonderfully soundstage! However---
The HD598 are my overall more preferred headphone as they sound beautiful! They're also brighter than the Hd555. Mainly, they have a much much more improved soundstage, sound overall more pleasing, and have a higher level of excitement than most sennheisers.
Also, you should check out the Philips Fidelio L1. I have yet to see a bad or average review for these cans. I don't actually have them, just a recommendation.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 14
Thank you guys!  I am starting to love the idea of some HD598s after I have read what you have to say and doing some more homework.  

The next question would be amps...  I have a Xonar D2 right now and I am thinking of a magni/modi combo, it looks like that would be better than upgrading my sound card?

Thanks again everyone!!!

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 14
I don't think it's going to crack. Sennheiser improved the material where the cracking took place and as of late,I haven't heard of any HD518 cracking, HD558 cracking, or HD598 cracking (a newer line of Sennheisers).

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
So I stumbled upon this forum after spending years using avsforum as my "go to" source for audio and video products.  I am not sure if the members here know, but some members actually point people over here when they want to know a lot about headphones... so here I am!

I am on the quest for the next level headphones.  Currently I have HD555's with the foam mod, I use them for mostly gaming, but I am starting to listen to a lot more music lately.  I was listening to Grimes (if anyone is familiar) and the soundstage impressed me...now I am once again obsessed.  It's all digitally created from what I know, but my headphones actually dealt with it pretty well!  

On a similar note I have 3.1 (strange I know) klipsch synergy speakers (F2's and a C3) that I am looking to upgrade to at least the reference series and I pair that with an Onkyo 609.  I am growing out of that equipment as well, but I note this because I appreciate the brightness of those speakers.

From what I see it is not really worth amping my 555's if that is correct?

I guess what I am mostly looking for is a pair that is a little more bright and has even better soundstage (in all aspects).  It would be nice if my next pair was also a little more durable as mine (like many others) are starting to crack a bit in less than a year.  The last question people will likely ask is my price range.  I'm not too too sure about that yet, but I am thinking around $300 for my new setup.

What do you guys think?  And thank you in advance!

Heya,

You sound like someone who would really enjoy the Beyer DT880. I would probably suggest the 250ohm version since it's still very efficient and will run from virtually any source, but also has enough resistance to be usable on higher output amplifiers should you want to play around with OTL tubes or things in the future. Great durability. Bright side of things like most Beyers. Beyer comfort. Would run fine from a simple Fiio E10, or your Onkyo actually too.

By the way, if you go HD598, getting the Magni/Modi combination seems like huge overkill over your current sound card. The HD598 is very efficient and isn't going to benefit from having the Magni. I would suggest you listen to the headphone before you start thinking of dropping $200 more into source equipment that won't change much the sound of what the headphone is. Focus that budget on a better headphone. For your current price push, you could put all of this into the Hifiman HE-400 which is much superior and easily an end game headphone in all regards.

Very best,

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 14
I have decided to order the HD 598's!  I should have them by the end of the week or so and I think I am going to love them!

Thank you again everyone, you have helped me out quiet a bit!

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 14
My 598's came in yesterday.  Right off the bat, the most noticeable differences are that the HD598's are brighter and much more clear.  I felt with the 555's, the sound was too dark and and almost muddy, loving them so far.  These also seem very neutral to me, but I still want to compare the sound stage and other things; I will add more when I have a better impression.

Oh yeah and I've also noticed they also shine with certain types of music.  For more electronic music they are okay, something like Radiohead (new or old)... they are amazing.  I can't wait to try out some Tool.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Well...  I've had some time with them and I switched from Zune to MOG in the process.  

I have to take back my statement about electronic music.  I believe my judgement had to do with the production quality.

To sum up my thoughts:  They are brilliant!  A HUGE improvement over my HD555's.  They are very accurate and can be a bit unforgiving: some sounds from UT99 make me want to throw up.

The last thing I wanted to comment on was gaming.  They are definitely better for gaming.  I play CS:GO for 20+ hours a week and I hear people through walls now and the accuracy of where I hear another player has increased.

Now I want an even better setup, these guys are impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back