Looking to upgrade from XCan v3
Sep 17, 2004 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

psychogentoo

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have the XCan v3 and am looking to upgrade. Based on the reviews that I've read so far, the MPX3 sounds like the amp to get for the $800-$1000 price range. I'm wondering what kind of benefits that the MPX3 will have over the XCan. From just reading the reviews alone its difficult for me to determine how much of an improvement it will have over the XCan.

My current set up is as follows:

SCD-333ES->Kimber Hero->Xcan->Equinox->HD650

Also is there anyone in the Seattle area that have the MPX3 that I can take a listen to?

Thanks

Sep 17, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 9
what is it that you do like and don't like about your amp in your setup? identifying the faults to your ears can help folks choose an amp that retain the strengths of your xcan, but also mitigate the areas you don't like when listening with your 650s and your source, etc.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
what is it that you do like and don't like about your amp in your setup? identifying the faults to your ears can help folks choose an amp that retain the strengths of your xcan, but also mitigate the areas you don't like when listening with your 650s and your source, etc.

The Xcan has very smooth mids/highs and the bass is tight, very musical overall. The amp I was using previous to this was the Total Airhead so my impressions are based on the comparison of the two.

I still feel that the bass could go deeper. Also I'm wondering if the MPX3 will add more of the nice "tube presence" that I noticed with the Xcan when I first upgraded.

Still I can't be sure that my perception of bass is a result of the amp or the source. Maybe I need to upgrade my source as well.
600smile.gif

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 9
On the subject....... http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/preamps/headphone.htm This may be what you are looking for. I am a great lover of the X-Can series but have to be the first to admit that the Graham Slee Solo surpasses them by quite a considerable margin.

If you are looking for musical bass, informative mids and sweet highs then the Solo will satisfy your ears. If you want to feel emotion and feel part of the event then the Solo is also the way to go.

You're in the States so there are a lot more amp options available to you but from the UK bunch I'd go Solo
wink.gif

Pinkie.

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
Hey Pinkie, it's good to see that your still aboard.
wink.gif

I'm kinda floating on the driftwood ATM but will be firmly back on board once I reach dry land Gworm
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the suggestion Pinkie.

Anyone else have any suggestions or impressions between the Xcan v3 and the MPX3?

thanks

Sep 20, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychogentoo
Anyone else have any suggestions or impressions between the Xcan v3 and the MPX3?

I haven't heard the v3, but I used to own the v2 and did some upgrades on it to improve performance (X-PSU, upgraded op amps). The X-Can would be a "punchier" amp, but the MPX-3 captures detail far better than the X-Can v2 used to. Tonal balance is also far superior on the MPX-3, as well as depth and instrument separation. Despite the upgrades I had done, the MPX-3 is a far superior amp to the X-Can v2 and can achieve a level of transparency that the v2 was never able to attain. Much of this might not apply to the v3, but there may not be that many people that have heard both the X-Can v3 and the MPX-3. HTH.

Sep 20, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
I haven't heard the v3, but I used to own the v2 and did some upgrades on it to improve performance (X-PSU, upgraded op amps). The X-Can would be a "punchier" amp, but the MPX-3 captures detail far better than the X-Can v2 used to. Tonal balance is also far superior on the MPX-3, as well as depth and instrument separation. Despite the upgrades I had done, the MPX-3 is a far superior amp to the X-Can v2 and can achieve a level of transparency that the v2 was never able to attain. Much of this might not apply to the v3, but there may not be that many people that have heard both the X-Can v3 and the MPX-3. HTH.

Boy, this is becoming harder to decide. I guess at this point I'll wait until the next Seattle meet and keep my fingers crossed that someone shows up with one of those Singlepower amps.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back