Looking to Upgrade from BD DT770 Pro 80ohm + e10K
Jul 8, 2018 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

x2p

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

I've been doing some research but haven't exactly found any recommendations that match my criteria.

History
I went from IEM's to headphones last year to have an office dedicated setup for comfort 10+ hours straight for music, etc. I went with the DT770 Pro 80ohm paired with a FiiO e10k as it was recommended for me and I was left beyond impressed. Switching to cans opened up a whole new side of audio for me though I've only tried closed.

It's been a year and a half and I've switched jobs and have been transporting the setup back and forth as I typically do 8 to 10 hours hours in the office and another 5-8 hours working from home afterwards. I'm sick of having to lug it back and forth and it's wearing the gear faster than I'd like.

What I love about them:
Amazing comfort, the sound signature, the sound stage (good base and detailed sound), build quality is nice, they never really tire out the ears.

What I dont like: Sound can get a little boring over time even with details, could look cooler? (reaching for negatives haha)

I almost contemplated buying DT770 250ohms for at home with a new AMP/DAC but thought I should upgrade and give something new a try. Maybe a bit more 'fun' but still detailed. So I'm here to ask for some help.

Budget
: 600$ CAD Incl. DAC/AMP (can increase to $800 if the difference is drastic)

Use Case: I'll be using them for music and videos while working and gaming when I have the time. Music 5 hours a day gaming 3+ hours a day.

Requirements:
I like a good amount of bass, a fairly wide sound stage, heading every detail (the DT770's opened this up for me). I think they need to be closed (maybe semi open?) as there's usually a dishwasher, tv, or laundry machine running somewhere in the condo and my desk is in the open.

Option B: Get both an open pair and a closed pair (e.g. Buy HE4XX from mass drop + 100$ closed cans + amp for the budget?)

Music Preferences

I primarily listen to EDM, Pop, Hip Hot, a little bit of indie rock. I wouldn't mind the new cans sounding a little more 'fun' but still detailed.

Artist Examples: Galantis, SHM, Steve Aoki, ODESZA, Lykke Li, CHVRCHES, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Post Malone, A Boogie wit da hoodie, Top 40, Alvvays.

Gaming Preferences

I mostly play GTA V, Racing Games (GRID, Forza 6/7, Horizon 2, Project Cars), L4D2, CSGO, and other shooters.

TLDR: I love my BD DT770 Pro 80ohm + FIIO e10k setup but I've moved it to the office. I want a home setup and am tempted to just buy the same thing but want some help to see if I can upgrade. I listen to music 10-18 hours a day, these will likely see 5 hours a day of music and will game a few hours a day with them too.

Maybe?:

Audioquest Night Owl Carbon: https://www.amazon.ca/AudioQuest-Closed-Back-Around-Ear-Headphones/dp/B01M3VIMV9

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 16
I don't know if I am providing the exact information you're looking for but I've owned the DT770 and currently own the HE400i. If you're into EDM and HipHop, I personally think that you'll find the DT770 more suitable for that type of music compared to the HE400i. If you like the sound of the DT770 but want more sound stage, you can take a look at DT990. For work you'd want closed and with your budget for 2 new headphones and a dac/amp, I'd stick with the DT770 and E10K at work and then buy the DT990 and the Schiit stack for home.

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 16
I don't know if I am providing the exact information you're looking for but I've owned the DT770 and currently own the HE400i. If you're into EDM and HipHop, I personally think that you'll find the DT770 more suitable for that type of music compared to the HE400i. If you like the sound of the DT770 but want more sound stage, you can take a look at DT990. For work you'd want closed and with your budget for 2 new headphones and a dac/amp, I'd stick with the DT770 and E10K at work and then buy the DT990 and the Schiit stack for home.

Thanks for the reply Centropolis! Really appreciate the insight :) I'll look into the DT990 as that was my concern with the HE400i. There seem to be so few reviews for the HE400i that mention more bass heavy music.

I'll see if I can order the Schiit Stack up here and the Fostex TH-X00 has also hit my radar as well.

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the reply Centropolis! Really appreciate the insight :) I'll look into the DT990 as that was my concern with the HE400i. There seem to be so few reviews for the HE400i that mention more bass heavy music.

I'll see if I can order the Schiit Stack up here and the Fostex TH-X00 has also hit my radar as well.

I don't feel HE400i is for electronic music at all. My personal opinion is that they are more for music that you'd want to pay high attention to vocals. For me, Norah Jones, Gregory Porter, Diana Krall sounds wonderful on the HE-400i. When I used to have DT770, they were for Radiohead, Daft Punk etc....

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 16
My vote goes to the ZMF Classic or Argon Mk3 and either a Schiit Magni 3 or Objective2 amp, and either a Schiit Modi 2 DAC or an ODAC. I am confident that nothing in the price range comes close in bass performance, and the mids should be refreshing to you since they are not recessed like the DT 770.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 16
I don't feel HE400i is for electronic music at all. My personal opinion is that they are more for music that you'd want to pay high attention to vocals. For me, Norah Jones, Gregory Porter, Diana Krall sounds wonderful on the HE-400i. When I used to have DT770, they were for Radiohead, Daft Punk etc....

Thanks! I actually got the opportunity to listen to the 400i over the weekend and you're completely right. It's great for voals but for EDM/Hip Hop/etc

My vote goes to the ZMF Classic or Argon Mk3 and either a Schiit Magni 3 or Objective2 amp, and either a Schiit Modi 2 DAC or an ODAC. I am confident that nothing in the price range comes close in bass performance, and the mids should be refreshing to you since they are not recessed like the DT 770.

Thanks! Just to make sure I understand right, the DT770 will have better bass performance but others will have better mids?

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 16

I'll second all of his recommendations - I'd do Magni3/Modi2 and the Dekoni Blue, Argon or ZMF Classic which are all kissing cousins.

If you are inclined to DIY, the Fostex t50rp that is the base for all of those is also an option but you will likely pay as much to DIY it as you would to just buy one of the three listed above.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 16
Thanks! Just to make sure I understand right, the DT770 will have better bass performance but others will have better mids?

ZMF Classic/Argon Mk3/Dekoni Blue bass probably obliterates that of all Beyerdynamics.

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 16
I'll second all of his recommendations - I'd do Magni3/Modi2 and the Dekoni Blue, Argon or ZMF Classic which are all kissing cousins.

If you are inclined to DIY, the Fostex t50rp that is the base for all of those is also an option but you will likely pay as much to DIY it as you would to just buy one of the three listed above.

Thanks! For the Modi 2 which sub model should I get? Regular? Uber? Multibit? Also my one concern I'm reading on is that T50RP based headphones tend to be on ear vs over ear?

ZMF Classic/Argon Mk3/Dekoni Blue bass probably obliterates that of all Beyerdynamics.

Thanks! Just as tight as well? or a bit muddier?

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks! For the Modi 2 which sub model should I get? Regular? Uber? Multibit? Also my one concern I'm reading on is that T50RP based headphones tend to be on ear vs over ear?

Thanks! Just as tight as well? or a bit muddier?

get the best Modi you can afford within budget. The least of them is not a bad product but they do get better as you move up the chain.
Bass on the planars should be at least as tight as anything you have heard as one of the biggest benefits of a planar over a dynamic is its speed of attack and decay.

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 16
get the best Modi you can afford within budget. The least of them is not a bad product but they do get better as you move up the chain.
Bass on the planars should be at least as tight as anything you have heard as one of the biggest benefits of a planar over a dynamic is its speed of attack and decay.

I could purchase a multibit and just hold off on the headphones for a little bit since the combo to get it up here in Canada will be $510 for the Magni + Modi Multibit. (390$ if I go down to an uber). Thoughts?

Also maybe I should just order these first... https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-fostex-blue-planar-magnetic-headphones

Bass texture and control will be superior for sure. Every element of bass really.

Awesome! How's the comfort? Is it true overear like BD headphones?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 16
I could purchase a multibit and just hold off on the headphones for a little bit since the combo to get it up here in Canada will be $510 for the Magni + Modi Multibit. (390$ if I go down to an uber). Thoughts?

Also maybe I should just order these first... https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-fostex-blue-planar-magnetic-headphones

Awesome! How's the comfort? Is it true overear like BD headphones?

Yes, full over ear. Not too heavy, comfort should be fine. The ZMF Classic is probably the comfiest of the ones I recommended.

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 16
I think I'd just get the modi 2 base model and skip the uber as the big advantage of the uber is the addition of Coax and Toslink Inputs neither of which you are going to use. The Modi 2 is more than a match for the E10K's dac so would be at least as good as what you are used to. That would leave room for the Modi 2 / Magni 3 and The ZMF Classic, Argon, or Dekoni.

If I am going to muddy the water, I would suggest maybe looking at the Apogee Groove instead of the pair of modi/magni. I have one and love it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back