Looking to upgrade from Atrio M5's
Oct 6, 2009 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jhendrickson

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my M5's for almost two years now and it has been a happy couple of years. However, I am now wondering what some other IEM's sound like and I need some guidance as I am torn between two things- the two top universals in my price range versus a custom.

I enjoy bass- lots of it. The Atrio's have delivered for the most part- admittedly they can be a little sloppy with bass reproduction at times. The mids are adequate, though the highs are a little recessed for my taste.

I listen primarily to house, dance, trance, and other electronic music (Tiesto, Guetta, Oakenfold, Miguel Migs). I also listen to a good amount of metal, rock, and hip-hop. Who am I kidding, I listen to just about everything with electronic being the primary focus.

Isolation and comfort is pretty high on the priority list, though they take a back seat to sound quality. If it helps, I prefer the fit and isolation of the Comply Slims.

Budget: ~$400
Source: iPod 80 and 160, and HP out on my Lenovo W700
Amp: Seems pointless to carry one if the right IEM is chosen
o2smile.gif

Contenders: Westone 3, Sennheiser IE8, Custom IEM made by ?

The reason I threw the custom option in there is because they provide superior isolation, though resell value is pretty crappy.

I know there are many 3 vs IE8 threads, and I have read them. I'm looking for specific advice in my situation and would love it if you could help reinforce the decision I have tentatively made or sway me in a different direction.

Thanks for reading!
popcorn.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 14
I have recently upgraded from the atrio to the IE8 and listen primarily to electronic, dance, hip-hop basically everything you listen to i loved the bass of the atrio at first but found the rest of the spectrum lacking a bit, but the bass made up for it but i started to feel it was slow and sloppy on fast dance music so after alot of research i decided to go for the IE8 and they blow the atrio away especially for digitalized music much faster impactful bass, the highs sparkle in comparison and soundstage is on another level. From day one i knew i had made the right choice. For the music you listen to i dont think you can get better than the IE8.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 14
You are the ideal reference then aren't you? Haha

How is the comfort and isolation of the IE8? From the photos they look like they might hurt my ear a little bit (its hard to judge the size of them). The 3's appear as though they may be more comfortable based purely on looks alone.

Are you finding a need to adjust the bass control on the IE8? I'm assuming you've played with it, does it distort at all as you increase the bass?

Being that both the IE8 and Atrio are dynamic drivers, I'm curious, have you heard any balanced armature IEM's with this type of music?

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 14
Having both the iE8 and W3, the W3 will isolate much better. It produces alot bass but doesn't deliver the impact that the IE8 can. Instrument separation is better with W3 and the soundstage is larger and better with the IE8. Both have excellent cables and are not prone to cable noise. The IE8 has a user replaceable cable while the W3 does not. In my opinion, either choice will be good, but I listen to the IE8 the majority of the time.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 14
if you don't mind the excessive size and sheer ugliness on the ue5 ebs, they can be a worthy replacement.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendrickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are the ideal reference then aren't you? Haha

How is the comfort and isolation of the IE8? From the photos they look like they might hurt my ear a little bit (its hard to judge the size of them). The 3's appear as though they may be more comfortable based purely on looks alone.

Are you finding a need to adjust the bass control on the IE8? I'm assuming you've played with it, does it distort at all as you increase the bass?

Being that both the IE8 and Atrio are dynamic drivers, I'm curious, have you heard any balanced armature IEM's with this type of music?

some people seem to have issues but i like the comfort and fit of the IE8 but to me it feels far nicer with cables over the ears. Isolation again to me is good it may not be as good as some but i find it more than adequate as good as the atrio to my ears but it is all tip dependent really. I have played with the bass control alot and to be honest i dont see much difference i tend to have it on the 3rd notch and i like my bass, but i dont hear distortion when on the 5th setting even at high volumes but it can overwhelm a little on fast tracks. I have heard some of the lower BA IEM's like the shure 210, etymotic ER6i, and the sleek audio sa6 but i really cant get on with the bass of BA IEMs when i have heard dynamic but that may change if i heard the W3 but i doubt it. Hope this helps

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 14
It does, thanks for the reply. Would you be guys able to sleep with your IE8's on? Or at the bare minimum lay with your head on a pillow for a period of time?

Haven't heard much in support of the W3...any input about them?

Thanks again!

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 14
If you slept on you back no probs with the ie8`s.
I never sleep with any iem otherwise I would be divorced lol.
Had mine for nearly a month, cracking set of iems, love them to bits.
They deliver what I want, massive bass and clarity.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 14
This forum is a blessing AND a curse.

I'm back to being completely undecided.

I'm worried about the 3's having overly harsh treble and I'm worried about the IE8's not fitting my ear (specifically the square part putting pressure on the tragus).

Siiiiiigh.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 14
Ordered my W3's today. Should be here tomorrow. I decided either one is going to be an upgrade from the Atrio's and since I fall asleep to music at night I felt the W3's would fit nicer in my ear. We'll see.
wink.gif

Thanks for all the input- perhaps a pair of IE8's are in my future too lol.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Well I recently contacted Future Sonics about repairing the rubber end on one of my Atrios and I thought I was having some issues with one of the sides cutting out. It turns out it's something with my ears that's going on and not the phones, but anyway... I'm out of warranty now and was informed they do not repair any of their universal IEM's. If you're in warranty and have an issue, they replace it, if you're out of warranty they give you a discount on a new set but will not work on them.

I don't mean to paint FS in a negative light, they do make a great IEM- and at least they will do something if you're out of warranty, but I was honestly shocked they won't repair their own product. I had thought about doing custom sleeves for my Atrios, but I didn't want to sink any more money into them.

I've always wanted to try a balanced armature IEM, so I still have my trusty dynamic driven Atrio's, and my W3's will be here tomorrow. I'm excited!

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having both the iE8 and W3, the W3 will isolate much better. It produces alot bass but doesn't deliver the impact that the IE8 can. Instrument separation is better with W3 and the soundstage is larger and better with the IE8. Both have excellent cables and are not prone to cable noise. The IE8 has a user replaceable cable while the W3 does not. In my opinion, either choice will be good, but I listen to the IE8 the majority of the time.

be more specific about basss quantity please,, the ie8 should have alot more bass,, i have the westone 3 and was not sattisfied with it bass considerin its a 3 way driver

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you don't mind the excessive size and sheer ugliness on the ue5 ebs, they can be a worthy replacement.

isome what agree, while i do no tfind them ugly at all, the ue superfi 5 eb are hands down my fav iem thus far better to me than the westone 3 and the triplefi 10 both of which left me wanting more bass,,,,,, i think now i shall try the atrio m5 unless someone can tell me that the ie8 has more bass than the atrio m5,, plus those ie8 seem way overpriced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back