Looking to upgrade desktop setup
Feb 2, 2020 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

redstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, hope I could get a bit of advice.

My current rig is fairly old now. Im
Using a Burson Conductor SL 9018 paired with Audeze LCD-X (with headband upgrade).
Edit - I forgot to post my IEMs, I’m using Noble K10 universals.

Im looking to upgrade my desktop rig, and am keen to get a new pair of headphones, amp and dac setup, (either a combo or stacked).

Headphone wise, I’m looking for full open-back can. Not IEMs, I’m quite happy with my Nobles for now.

I’m in the mood for something fresh, and hopefully an upgrade to what I have.

My uses would mostly fall under the following;

Music Genre - Mostly sub genres of metal and hardcore. I do listen to a wide range of alternative music, from ska to hardcore.
I also listen to a fair bit of electronic music too, quite a bit of chiptune.

Gaming - mostly FPS.

I would need the amp and dac to play nice with PC. I’ve had problems in the past with the burson audio drivers crashing my pc and causing problems.

I have a rough budget to what I want to spend, but it’s very loose. Around the 2k mark (gbp) I guess for the whole rig, but this is flexible.

I really hope I could get some nice ideas, it’s been a while sinse I was keeping track with this.

Thanks again,

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 2
Your gear right now is pretty good. Maybe if you say specifically what you're trying to improve or what you're looking for people could help.

I have the RME ADI-2 DAC FS (2nd Ed.) and the Brooklyn DAC+

I would not like to choose between just one of them. The RME has a lot of features including parametric EQ which really makes it possible to make some flawed / obnoxious headphones pleasant to use. It does not have MQA and it doesn't show the bit depth. The Brooklyn does. Also there is the choice between AKM ("musical") or ESS ("analytical"). In my opinion either DAC includes an amp that does very well with LCDs. The amps do not do well with every headphone though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back