Looking to replace Sennheiser HD580s with a headset because I cant find a decent mic for gaming.
Nov 30, 2011 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ogormask

New Head-Fier
I bought the 580s a few years ago and was told that was the best gaming solution since headsets at that time were not at all up to par as headphones. I was using a zalman mic but it suddenly broke and its paired up with the creative titanium and with all volumes in game etc maxed out people could barely hear me. I would have had to tape it on my mouth or yell for it to pick up my normal voice. I tried a few others and were even worse. I really am into gaming and love the rich sound that the 580s have.

[size=small][/size]
Looking over [size=small]newegg[/size] I can only find one product:[size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826785024[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
They seem to cover a better range than my senns do but the impedence is lower.[size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
I dont like gimmicky solutions such as "5.1" or "7.1" but that seems to be the thing like laser mice which arent as good as optical (deathadder for me)[size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
My brother swears by his astros but IDK. He also swore the 7.1 really worked which is total BS. [size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]http://www.astrogaming.com/headsets/...-astro-edition[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
They have a higher impedence but less range than those corsairs. I doubt my ears can pick up the lower end anyways so maybe thats a non issue.[size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
What ones are the best? I also notice its impossible to find specs for the mics. I want a solution that will be fine for the rest of my life basically. I doubt I wouldnt buy something better newer in the future but whats the best choice?[size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
I almost think the corsairs might be the best on the market right now.

I dont want to go much over $200 unless there is a significant difference in quality. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 22
Hi mate, im using my sennhiser PC 350 since 2 years and i think it has one of the best Gaming mic , it has a noise canceling mic , there is also new model PC 360 open .

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-350-Collapsible-Microphone/dp/B0012XFDWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322690476&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-Headset-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322690476&sr=8-2

try to find reviews about this 2 headset 

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 22
Now im more confused. The 350 seems to have a lower range but the 360 goes higher. The 350 has 150 impede vs 50 for the 360. And both seem  comparable to the Corsairs and the Astros I posted. How do you know which is better?

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
But what mic? The ones that seem to actually work well are like $100. Seems better to go with a headset... Are those not comparable? Spec wise they looked similar. 

That I do not know.

You won't find something for $200 that's going to stand up to the HD580, might as well with a mic, even if it is old.  Comparing headphones by supplied specifications is, well, let's just say you're more likely to make an apt comparison from judging by color.

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 22
The problem is I have tried 3 mics and they dont work well up to $25 range. Whereas a headset is located on your mouth so it picks up sound better. I would almost take worse sound quality with better voice because its so important in gaming. I would say im at a pro level so my voice is important to be heard by teamates. I also heard that my x-fi is also an issue with mics but I got it half price so I cant complain. Im just sic of mic after mic not putting out enough sound. I was actually gaming with a cheap creative headset which I preffered since I was loud and clear. I do enjoy the much richer sound my sennheisers have but only went to that after the headset broke in two. I tripped on the cord and it smashed on the ground. When I got the 580s sennheiser didnt offer anything decent for a headset. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
The problem is I have tried 3 mics and they dont work well up to $25 range. Whereas a headset is located on your mouth so it picks up sound better. I would almost take worse sound quality with better voice because its so important in gaming. I would say im at a pro level so my voice is important to be heard by teamates. I also heard that my x-fi is also an issue with mics but I got it half price so I cant complain. Im just sic of mic after mic not putting out enough sound. I was actually gaming with a cheap creative headset which I preffered since I was loud and clear. I do enjoy the much richer sound my sennheisers have but only went to that after the headset broke in two. I tripped on the cord and it smashed on the ground. When I got the 580s sennheiser didnt offer anything decent for a headset. 

there are too many Pro mic outside you might sound like recording inside studio http://www.sennheiserusa.com/cardoid-microphone-vocal-stage-microphone-evo800_004516

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 22
I've had the best success with a $60 boom microphone connected to a $30 preamp. I run that into the Astro Mixamp and I can adjust the microphone sensitivity such that you can hear my breath from 5 feet away.

I really have had bad luck with microphones too. I had a Turtle Beach HPX and the mic on it worked just fine. I moved to my own headphones+boom mic combo and it sucked (had to be practically in my mouth to get any response, and then it was all "pop" sounds from my breath). It wasn't until I put almost $100 into a nicer microphone and preamp setup that it finally matched/outclassed my old headset.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 22
Rebel I guess if I am going to put $100 into it I would rather just get a headset regardless if its slightly better sound. At least then I know for sure my mic will work. 

Alz3abi I have not tried that mic so maybe for $15 it would be worth it to try it. Better than spending $200. Although I am curious about those corsairs as they are much cheaper than other ones I posted. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 22
I guarantee that the 580 is a better sounding headphone than any gaming headset on the market* 

* certainly for less than a few hundred

I don't game so, I don't know how important the mic is, ultimately. But it seems to me, just getting a mic is the solution. Hell - make a DIY clamp boom, and mount it on the headband if you need to. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Rebel I guess if I am going to put $100 into it I would rather just get a headset regardless if its slightly better sound. At least then I know for sure my mic will work. 

Alz3abi I have not tried that mic so maybe for $15 it would be worth it to try it. Better than spending $200. Although I am curious about those corsairs as they are much cheaper than other ones I posted. 

go for sennhiser 350 or 360

Users who are viewing this thread

Back