Looking to replace my a900's.... will I be disappointed with m50?
Nov 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've had some audio technica a900's for quite a while now. They finally broke (my fault) and I'm looking for something to replace them. I've heard a lot about the m50's, and they sound like a pretty solid choice for 100$. I'm just wondering if this would be a significant step down from the a900's? The m50's appeal to me because I like audio technica, they are somewhat portable (a900's weren't at all), and are supposed to sound pretty good for the price.

I use my headphones mainly for music. I listen to just about everything, but most often I like reggae, electronic music, rock/hardcore, and some rap. I usually am using my pc as a source coming through a fiio e7, or my galaxy s3.

So, the m50's appeal to me as a nice all-around headphone that is inexpensive and I won't be heartbroken if they get damaged for portable use. I'm just wondering if they will be a disappointment coming from the a900's. I've also considered either just upgrading to something nicer (wouldn't really even know what... dt880's maybe?), or getting the m50's for general use and something nicer for more critical listening. Obviously this option would be more expensive though.

Anyway I'd appreciate any input on this, please let me know if you need any info that I forgot to include. Thanks in advance!

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 5
Probably, less comfort, less soundstage, ...

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 5
I would guess the ATH-M50 would have a stronger bass then the ATH-A900s.
The ATH-M50 has sold new for as much as $160 and $100 is about the cheapest I've ever heard them sell for.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 5
While it's a decent headphone and a good bargain if you get it on sale, I think the A900 is a superior headphone. Save up for something higher end would be my advice.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah I'm thinking the same actually the more that I think about it. I used and enjoyed my a900's for a long time and never regretted spending what I did for them. I think I'll prob just get the m50's as semi-portable general use cans, but then get something nicer as well. Haven't done a ton of research yet, but am liking what I hear about the hd650's and dt880's, any thoughts on those two?   (Man I forgot how addictive this is lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back