Looking to replace Fulla 3
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 17
Thing i don't like it i don't feel like i have a good spacial audio in some game and the sound isn't very complex

That's primarily the headphone. A good amp can only drive it louder without reducing that (or adding any other kind of distortion and noise) - when an amp "improves" the soundstage and imaging it's not like the amp "adds" to it, it just doesn't screw it up. After the headphone it's the DAC or any source because this can get tricky - for example

I've tried Cambridge CDPs at every price point and they all imaged the drums too far forward; Regas move everything backward the vocals and drums are all on the same plane (albeit everything was spaced out wider) but the problem was Norah Jones can easily sound like she has sinusitis; NAD and Marantz midrange are for the money the best - not as deep as Regas but at least the drums are still behind the vocals Arcam CD72 was the best at the time if you can stretch a bit as it has moderately warm response but not overdone (the Marantz was already toe-ing the line on earpads with enough wear), but hey if you can spend even more, Cayin CDT-23 was the best (by contrast the CD-50 was just a warmer Marantz and CD-17 was like paying a lot more for the Rega). Most of these were on my HD600, but some of it on the K701/2 and LCD-2, plus Focal, Paradigm, and Dynaudio speakers, but in the end there's way more difference between the HD600, the K701/2, and LCD-2 and between the Chorus 706/726, Paradigm Signature something, Dynaudio Contour S5.4, and Focal Stella Utopia than with any of them using a different CDP or amp.

Ditto DACs. I had a Superpro707 and it sounded better off SPDIF than USB because if you have it hooked up to the DC brick plus USB, it spits out something like a 6V signal instead of 2V, by which point the signal was so "hot" the treble was grating. The DAC-AH was the best followed by the built in DAC of my Cantate.2. Now I just use a DAP that I can control with a smartphone because Android USB drivers screwed up again sometime last year and my phone stopped working with my Meier and my Pangea HP101.

On to your gear...maybe a good DAC-HPamp can help but if you're already on the Fulla3 it won't be a dramatic increase in imaging and soundstage if you go to a Magni3+Modi3, or even an Asgard with its own DAC or the Modi3. Replacing the headphone is still the best move but that doesn't mean you change only the headphone either because if you get, say, the K702 to get the best imaging for the money or at least without sacrificing the low end response vs getting the AT AD700, the one way to not lose low end response on the K702 is to have a good amp (which can't make the AD700 produce more bass either). That said compared to the DT990 the K702 will still have less bass, and you might not necessarily like its imaging since some other people don't given it can push the vocals farther away from your face then image the drums behind that, and then have the guitars farther from your face and also farther out to the flanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back