Looking to purchase a flashlight? Here's an awesome resource!
Jan 11, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #32 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
I can believe it. I read this thread on CandlePower with, admittedly, a smile on my face as a guy tries to figure out how to spend his $200 on a flashlight. You can substitute every reference to flashlight and model number with a headphone model and it reads exactly like this forum. ...

I like this quote (in bold)

Jan 11, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #33 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I just go buy a flashlight. Not very smart, I guess.

I guess other people just go to Bestbuy and pick up the first $20 earbuds they like the look of. No difference.

Jan 11, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #34 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Ok, so now I know what all of my friends are thinking when I start talking about headphones... OMG, this world is big enough to play host to flashlight nuts?

Riiiiight … and our hobby here is sane, sensible, and down-to-earth. Riiiiiight.

Jan 11, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #35 of 275
I know this sounds ironic, but why do you need more than one flashlight?
confused.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #36 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I know this sounds ironic, but why do you need more than one flashlight?
confused.gif

The same reason you need more than one headphone, you pick the right tool for the right job. Just like headphones, there is no ONE headphone that does the job.

here's a simple case:
- camping. You need something to light up the interior of the tent. Do you pick up the super bright one that blinds everyone in the tent?
- You want to walk around in the dark. Do you pick one that has a wide beam or a very narrow beam?
- You need to light up street and house numbers. You want one with a good spot beam and reach, and a quick switch that allows you to quickly point the light with one hand.
- You want to do reading. Do you want one that is super bright that burns out your eyeballs, and kills the battery in 1 hour? No, you want a dimmer one that has a even beam with good battery life.

Basically, every flashlight is suited for different tasks. Every flashlight has tradeoffs between size, battery life, beam type, bulb life, durability, weight, versatility etc. There is no one flashlight that can do it all, so you optimize your choice for the conditions that you need.

Most people only need a cheap flashlight....but conversely, most people need a cheap headphone. The *ethuasiasts* look beyond that, trying to find the best of the best for their needs.

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #37 of 275
So what's the Orpheus of Flashlights? Of course, a non-headfier flash-a-holic might not know very well what I'm asking.

And if flashlight geeks are called flash-a-holics, what do you call (photographic) flash geeks?
tongue.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #39 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
So what's the Orpheus of Flashlights? Of course, a non-headfier flash-a-holic might not know very well what I'm asking.

Hmm, good question. I guess one of the Orpheus candidates of handheld flashlights might be the Surefire Beast. $3000 USD. Basically a HID in your hand. Uses 20 CR123 batteries. They are limited run and now out of production. 2000 lumens output (contrast that to say 50 lumens of your typical 2D Maglight)

http://www.obaq.tv/cpf/?page=SureFire_Beast

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #40 of 275
Quote:

Currently it's Surefire's HellFire spotlight which was designed for use (mounted) on .50 caliber machine guns but can also be used as a handheld. Not available for sale to the general public and made specifically for the military. Prior to the HellFire it was Surefire's Beast that was the Orpheus of Flashlights. The Beast was available to the public but has since been discontinued and was only made in a limited amount (only 100 of them were built).

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #41 of 275
Wow thanks for the info Warubozu and Warpdriver. Now I'm really wondering what would be the SR60's or the KSC-35's if you like, of the flashlight world.

(I'm sure these questions are quite funny for some lurkers. Imagine what it would be like to start lurking in an unfamiliar techie forum, let's say Nuclear Reactor geeks, and see a post about Headphones -a foreign techie world for them, but familiar to us- along the lines of : "So what's the Plutonium XDH-99 chamber plus" of the headphone world?" and we headfiers would have absolutely no clear idea what they were really asking about
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 11, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #42 of 275
Quote:

Wow thanks for the info Warubozu and Warpdriver. Now I'm really wondering what would be the SR60's or the KSC-35's if you like, of the flashlight world.

The flashlight of the year for flashlight fanatics is the Fenix. Works off normal AA/AAA batteries, small, high quality and relatively affordable ($30-45). The common term flashaholics use is EDC (Everyday Carry).....and the Fenix is the one to get for that purpose. If you go to the forum, you'll see a lot of excitement for this flashlight

http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl1.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1p.htm

Jan 11, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #43 of 275
Yall see how funny flashlight forum seems next time you need to visit the outhouse 3am....what you gonna take with you ......yer grados or a 12 volt dualbulb maglight ?

Jan 11, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #44 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The flashlight of the year for flashlight fanatics is the Fenix. Works off normal AA/AAA batteries, small, high quality and relatively affordable ($30-45). The common term flashaholics use is EDC (Everyday Carry).....and the Fenix is the one to get for that purpose. If you go to the forum, you'll see a lot of excitement for this flashlight

http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl1.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1p.htm

Excellent Warpdriver thanks a lot! Will try to get one of those some time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back