Looking to power up my Q701 headphone.
May 4, 2018 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mackenzie

100+ Head-Fier
The cans - Q701 by AKG

Hey guys and gals. I've been looking into getting a better experience from my Q701. I've been using it straight for my PC usage for a while now, probably over two years. I think I'm ready to try a basic upgrade, but am skeptical about what would be needed to actually improve my listening experience.

From what intel I could gather last night, my cans pair well with Magni and Objective 2. Would people here agree with that setup? If not, why and what would you recommend instead?

I don't exactly understand how these devices will improve my experience from a technical standpoint either, so if anyone wouldn't mind explaining what I can expect with my inexperienced perspective, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
Mackenzie~

May 4, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 12
Now I'm thinking about the Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber combo. Hmm.

May 4, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Looking at your computer specs from your profile, I would get the Vali 2 first, then if you need toslink or Coaxial, Modi 2...but wait for the multi-bit model.:blush:

Any amp you get should be a tube amp for a Q701. I just traded a K501 and the new owner loves it with the Crackhead amp with speedball upgrade he just assembled.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 12
The Schiit Magni 3 decimates most amps even in the $250 range. Very hard to find fully discrete DC coupled solid state amps in this price range, no op-amps or capacitors in the signal path to deteriorate the sound plus it has a very low output impedance of 0.3ohms meaning it is good for low impedance headphones unlike most sub $200 amps. 2W RMS into 32ohms, 1.3W RMS into 50ohms. Not to mention it also has preamp outputs. I think it's safe to say the Objective2 has been defeated, and for less. The only downside is that it uses a wall-wart but so do most amps in this price range and above it even, and this can be changed in the future if you really want to.

BUT the Vali 2 might pair better with your headphone, as a Magni 3 might make it sound too bright for most. The Vali 2 is similarly good for the price and provides tons of tube rolling options to tailor the sound to your need. Plenty of power to the Q701 as well. So yeah I'd get the Vali 2.

The Modi Multibit costs more than the Modi 2 Uber, but is in a completely different (higher) league than every DAC below the Schiit Bifrost Multibit and Chord Mojo ($500-600). If possible, get the Modi Multibit. If not, I think the Modi 2 Uber can be sent into Schiit and upgraded into a Multibit if you ever want to go that route in the future.

May 5, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 12
Hey Rhamnetin! It has been a while! I based most of my researches off our conversations in the past.

I am concerned about the Vali 2 'sounding tubey' like I've heard in a few review articles. What exactly does tubey sound, sound like? Is it a distortion from clear detailed sound?

Trying to get as accurate and crisp a sound as I can. This term people are throwing around 'tubey' just makes me concerned about Vali 2 being the right choice or not.

Could you describe what you mean by "too bright"? Does that mean it accentuates highs too much or?

Humm. Now I'm beside myself on deciding between the two again. oh no. ><

May 5, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 12
You really made the Magni 3 sound like the better option, if too bright doesn't turn out to be a big deal.. yet you both think Vali 2 is the better choice first.

May 5, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 12
The reason some people will vote for the Vali 2 is because these AKG headphones can become too bright with most solid state amps (and yeah bright would mean accentuated highs). More of a subjective thing though, you may or may not be fine with it. This also changes with age unfortunately.

The Vali 2 shouldn't disappoint though, it has the power that the Q701 needs: based on my experience with the AKG K7xx, it doesn't need more power than what the Vali 2 delivers (basing this on the Vali 2's specs though, never used the K7xx with a Vali 2).

Classic "tubey" sound is indeed typically associated with a bit more distortion on a technical level, but to the listener people usually refer to less in-your-face treble than typical solid state amps, and perhaps better sound stage. It's all generalization though, you can find outliers in both categories.

May 5, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 12
Hmm okay so brightness accentuating highs. Couldn't you just reduce the dB of higher frequencies in an EQ to compensate that or are there bad side effects for doing something like that?

Changes with age. Do you mean our human age or the product's age as signs of use?

Less in-your-face treble. Hrm. Does this take away from the original clarity and detail in music in ways that the Magni would not? Tubey makes me think like talking through an empty roll of christmas wrapping, which is quite an extreme level of distortion. Talking through a tube.

May 5, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 12
Yeah, EQ can compensate so that's always an option. Annoying to do (if you want to do it "the right" way, as per the guides here on Head-Fi though they were outdated last time I checked).

When I said changes with age, I was referring to people. Our listening preferences change. Personally, I've noticed people become more sensitive to "bright" gear as they get older.

As for tube amps reducing clarity, it would really depend on which specific amps are being compared. Ultimately most of the best amps ever made are all tube amps, not even tube hybrid like the Vali 2. I don't have enough experience with the Vali 2 and Magni 3 to say which is more detailed, I think it'd be a tie especially with the Q701. For reference, I used my K7xx with a Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 (inferior to the Schiit stack) and then a Bel Canto DAC 3 + Antique Sound Lab MG Head DT (so a much higher end amp than either of the Schiits) and it sounded no different. Thankfully, those AKGs are not the most demanding headphones.

May 5, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 12
Yeah, you're right. EQ can be a hassle to set up correctly, but once you do it, you're golden. So you're saying that basically you can't go wrong with either of the two for the Q701? Am I also understanding you right when it seems like you are saying the musical clarity, accuracy and detail difference would be miniscule it not, barely noticeable?

Thank you for taking the time to explain these things.

May 5, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 12
I think the worst case scenario is the Magni 3 making the system sound too bright and then you having to EQ it. I think the only significant difference between the two amps will be timbre/general sound signature, a subjective difference really. These AKGs need an amp, but aren't extremely picky about which amp they're used with.

May 5, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks, I appreciate the honesty. I had a chance to cancel the order and get the Magni 3 instead.. but after thinking on it some and talking here about it, I told them just let the order through from the Vali 2. Not to mention the Magni 3 is on backorder until may 11th, where us the Vali and Modi are in stock so. There's that too. If I don't like the sound, I can always get a Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back