Looking to pick up some inexpensive closed cans
Feb 3, 2010 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
What closed cans in the 50 to 150 dollar level don't have a recessed midrange and are not too dark sounding? I just got some m50s and I am just not feeling their sound sig. The mids are too recessed for me and this makes the bass sound bloated and the highs pierce my ears.

I am thinking.... denon d1001k, senn hd438, sony v6.... any suggestions???
beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 15
AKG K271 MKII - awesome mids and highs for me - bass just right and not in the least bit dark IMO. Although they list higher - I found mine on ebay for about $149.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 15
the k271 II is one to add to the choices along with german maestro gmp 8.300D and beyer dt250 but the prices with shipping to the Philippines on those are more on the 200 dollar level.

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 15
The Sony MDR-V6 is pretty good. I had a pair for years and always enjoyed them. Not as much as my full-sized open cans, but still pretty good. You might also want to look at the Sony MDR-7509HD. They usually run $200 new, but I got a used pair just under $100. They don't get much attention here, but I really like them. They're studio cans (and I love studio cans) and I take them on every vacation. They're surprisinly decent right out of an iPod, too.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 15
v6 it is... I'm looking at the graphs now too. So many people say forget the graphs and listen to them well... Ive made too many mistakes in buying headphones from recommendations and the graphs always tell me that I shouldn't have gotten them in the first place... The exact complaints I have with their sound is easily found on the graphs.

graphCompare.php

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 15
I think that big transition from a dip to a peak from 6 to 9khz is what gives the psssst in the sound. Its muffled at the upper mids to lower treble to me also like the graphs says. Then the dip at the lower mids transitioning to a midbass boost is what gives that closed can feeling
biggrin.gif

And the bass... baaauuummm!! hehehe

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony MDR-V6 is pretty good. I had a pair for years and always enjoyed them. Not as much as my full-sized open cans, but still pretty good. You might also want to look at the Sony MDR-7509HD. They usually run $200 new, but I got a used pair just under $100. They don't get much attention here, but I really like them. They're studio cans (and I love studio cans) and I take them on every vacation. They're surprisinly decent right out of an iPod, too.

Its good to hear that someone else that likes the hd580 type sound can also confirm that the v6 is at least decent. I hate having that feeling of ear shock when coming from my m50s making my hd580s almost unlistenable because my ears adjusted to the deafening bass of the m50s.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 15
Well, I started with a Sony MDR V6 and I'm now a Sennheiser HD428 richer which I like more than my Creative Aurvana Lives and is in some aspects better than the V6.

Just so you know, the bass on the V6 may not be the most powerfull bass but that bass can make you a bass head. The Aurvana Lives had a bass that lacked definition with some genres of music. In response I found the HD428 which has a well defined bass and with its 'neutral sound' also allows for analytical listening
smily_headphones1.gif

The V6 is a good option, still.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like its a definite on the v6. I hope this one will be the final night time headphone for me for when I need the isolation.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What closed cans in the 50 to 150 dollar level don't have a recessed midrange and are not too dark sounding? I just got some m50s and I am just not feeling their sound sig. The mids are too recessed for me and this makes the bass sound bloated and the highs pierce my ears.

I am thinking.... denon d1001k, senn hd438, sony v6.... any suggestions???
beerchug.gif

you're three suggestions are completely different. 2 are full size, one is a commercail headphone, one is a studio based phone, and one is portable. However, as i'm not the best Sony advacate around here, i'd say go for the Denon's or if you're going to be walking around a lot, but you still want something half decent at home, then buy the Senn's.

But look our for a pair of HD25's as well.

Amazon.com: Used and New: On-the-ear Studio Monitor Headphones

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 15
My purpose for them are for home use during the night when my girlfriend is blasting the tv so my only concerns are isolation, decent mids, and decent comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back