Looking to move from Sennheiser HD558s to something with the same sound but more BASS Need your expert guidance!
Oct 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

iztis

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I bought my Senn HD558s about 1 month ago, love the sound especially the clarity and soundstage, but the Bass is just not enough for me. 

Fortunately, amazon UK has be so kind as to take the headphones back for a refund, which I can swap for something else. 

So I'm looking for help from all you guys here as I'm a newbie at Hi-Fi in face these headphones were my first audiophile pair. 

My music includes classical rock and Soft rock, but I like to dabble in Electronic/Techno sometimes. I also will use them for gaming and would love there to be more bass in this area too)

I'm not looking for overpowering bass, I'm not a bass head but I would definitely like much more punch than what I have now.

I guess I'm looking for headphones with "fun" sound unlike the 558s which I believe are more analytical in nature (where classical really shines)

I was looking around and it seems like the Audiotechnica M50s might suit my taste : http://www.head-fi.org/t/574239/something-like-the-hd558-but-with-a-bit-more-bass

or the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Headset - 80 OHM

What do you guys think? Are there any other earphones I should look at?

I will probably have to get a pair of closed ones to get the bass that I want? or are there any open ones with more bass than the HD558s?

Also comfort wise hopefully the new pair of headphones can equal the 558s which are out of this world.

Thanks guys, appreciate your input and help alot!

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:
Hey guys, I bought my Senn HD558s about 1 month ago, love the sound especially the clarity and soundstage, but the Bass is just not enough for me. 

Fortunately, amazon UK has be so kind as to take the headphones back for a refund, which I can swap for something else. 

So I'm looking for help from all you guys here as I'm a newbie at Hi-Fi in face these headphones were my first audiophile pair. 

My music includes classical rock and Soft rock, but I like to dabble in Electronic/Techno sometimes. I also will use them for gaming and would love there to be more bass in this area too)

I'm not looking for overpowering bass, I'm not a bass head but I would definitely like much more punch than what I have now.

I guess I'm looking for headphones with "fun" sound unlike the 558s which I believe are more analytical in nature (where classical really shines)

I was looking around and it seems like the Audiotechnica M50s might suit my taste : http://www.head-fi.org/t/574239/something-like-the-hd558-but-with-a-bit-more-bass

What do you guys think? Are there any other earphones I should look at?

I will probably have to get a pair of closed ones to get the bass that I want? or are there any open ones with more bass than the HD558s?

Also comfort wise hopefully the new pair of headphones can equal the 558s which are out of this world.

Thanks guys, appreciate your input and help alot!

I do not know what you want to spend but if you want bass in open headphones with nice soundstage, HE-400s have a sexy amount of bass for open back headphones. Also have you tried EQing for a little bass in the headphones? That could be all you need to add. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:
I do not know what you want to spend but if you want bass in open headphones with nice soundstage, HE-400s have a sexy amount of bass for open back headphones. Also have you tried EQing for a little bass in the headphones? That could be all you need to add. 

Thanks! Well no those are out of my price range! haha I'm looking to spend aound the price of the HD558s. Right now I'm leaning to the DT770s from Beyerdynamic rated at 80ohms. I have a soundblaster x-fi HD so it should be able to drive the cans no problem.

I tried EQing 558s but the bass just isn't enough for me. I lvoe the highs though they are so clear it's amazing (to the point they are too harsh sometimes:p) so I think i'll mkae the switch. Anyt thoughts on the DT770s? reading about them up on the fourms! 

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 23
Comfort is great to excellent on the 770 80s. The velour pads feel just like pillows on your ears, wearable for hours without physical fatigue much like the 558s.

The sound signature will be quite different from the Senns though. I am comparing the 770s to the 598s (which should have a similar sound to the 558), both of which I own. The 770 to my ears have a more emphasized bass like you are looking for, but the soundstage is significantly reduced. The mids are not as forward, and the highs are laid back. This is with the velours, with the J$ Beyer pads I've tried, bass is tighter and the sound signature takes a turn for the darker.

For rock/techno/electronic, I think the 770s will fit the bill regarding what you're looking for. However, I much, much prefer the 598s for gaming due to clarity and soundstage. IMO, the 770 does not really make for a great gaming headphone (although the comfort is exquisite).   

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:
Comfort is great to excellent on the 770 80s. The velour pads feel just like pillows on your ears, wearable for hours without physical fatigue much like the 558s.

The sound signature will be quite different from the Senns though. I am comparing the 770s to the 598s (which should have a similar sound to the 558), both of which I own. The 770 to my ears have a more emphasized bass like you are looking for, but the soundstage is significantly reduced. The mids are not as forward, and the highs are laid back. This is with the velours, with the J$ Beyer pads I've tried, bass is tighter and the sound signature takes a turn for the darker.

For rock/techno/electronic, I think the 770s will fit the bill regarding what you're looking for. However, I much, much prefer the 598s for gaming due to clarity and soundstage. IMO, the 770 does not really make for a great gaming headphone (although the comfort is exquisite).   

Thanks! 

Alright so comfort is important to me and I've been reading around here, looks like the M50 is a no go. 

With regards to gaming, why would you say they are not great? Are you referring to Multiplayer games where soundstage is very important especially when paired with Dolby Surround so you know where your enemies are. If that's the case, it's not that important to me as I only dabble in battlefiled 3 but love sticking to my Single-player games :p 

I was under the impression that the DT770s will give more bass impact like when a tank fires or with regards to explosions. Am I right to say this? 

Or when you mean poor for gaming, do you mean the sound quality is bad in general?

Also are DT770s considered "fun" headphones instead of neutral/flat/analytical?

Thanks, and I really appreciate your input!!

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:
Thanks! 

Alright so comfort is important to me and I've been reading around here, looks like the M50 is a no go. 

With regards to gaming, why would you say they are not great? Are you referring to Multiplayer games where soundstage is very important especially when paired with Dolby Surround so you know where your enemies are. If that's the case, it's not that important to me as I only dabble in battlefiled 3 but love sticking to my Single-player games :p 

I was under the impression that the DT770s will give more bass impact like when a tank fires or with regards to explosions. Am I right to say this? 

Or when you mean poor for gaming, do you mean the sound quality is bad in general?

Also are DT770s considered "fun" headphones instead of neutral/flat/analytical?

Thanks, and I really appreciate your input!!

Comfort is not bad on the M50. It's just slightly weighty and the pleather will get hot quickly if you're in a warmish environment.

770 sound quality is not "bad" for gaming, but it does not play evenly across genres. I also rate soundstage as very important when gaming. For example, I really enjoy the 598s for RPGs I play because background music is often classical genre-based on such games which the 598 excels at. I also like it for games with speech, as vocals are pronounced and clear. Soundstage and clarity play nicely with shooters. I personally do not like "booms" in shooters as you mentioned, because louder bass muffles other sounds I am listening for (footsteps and which direction they are coming from). I am not saying the 770 cannot be used for gaming by any means, but I simply prefer the 598 by a substantial margin.

I would not consider the 770 very neutral. I think with the preferences you stated for musical genres, you'll be rather pleased with them.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 23
Thanks Pride :)!!

Looking for more comments before I pull the trigger on these DT 770s and boy is my trigger finger itchy :p

OKay just did some reading on Beyer's DT 990s. They're better than the DT770s in terms of mids and bass and more fun sounding? Not sure what I'm reading...

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 23
Hi iztis,
I use my DT770 Pro 80 straight out of my PC for multiplayer games (BF3, Planetside 2).  Since you are not into multiplayer gaming I don't know if I can contribute a useful opinion, but I can say that these are definately more "fun" than "analytical" cans.  The lower end booms of a tank explosion are impactful and impressive, but vocals and details like footsteps tend to get a bit lost.  You may find the following thread by Mad Lust Envy helpful in your decision:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-10-16-12-ps3-bd-playback-in-dolby-digital

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:
Hi iztis,
I use my DT770 Pro 80 straight out of my PC for multiplayer games (BF3, Planetside 2).  Since you are not into multiplayer gaming I don't know if I can contribute a useful opinion, but I can say that these are definately more "fun" than "analytical" cans.  The lower end booms of a tank explosion are impactful and impressive, but vocals and details like footsteps tend to get a bit lost.  You may find the following thread by Mad Lust Envy helpful in your decision:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-10-16-12-ps3-bd-playback-in-dolby-digital

Thanks man. I'll defeinitely look into that thread again, read it when I bought my 558s.

I like the 558s but I find the higher frequencies too harsh. Firing an M4 in battlefield is more piercing than booming. As are some of my music files.

Do you have any of your on opinions on what has more bass and less of the 558 harshness at treble?

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 23
i use the DT770 pro 80's for gaming and they're great if you play for the 'experience' rather than the 'competition'.  i play a lot of BF3 multiplayer and manage just fine.  that said, my next set of headphones will be more on the neutral side just because i'm not a true bass head.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 23
Alright thanks guys for all your help. One last question should I save up more and spring for the Beyer DT990s? Do they have much better sound? The comparison thread here on head-fi between the different versions made it seem like the 990 Pros did but I don't think I can spring for the extra...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back