Not a fan of the M50, but this specific model of the DT770 80ohm will be MUCH harder to drive than the M50. Since you don't want to buy an additional amp, I say this should be a important consideration for you. M50s are uncomfortable, but at least they'll drive well from devices of all shapes and sizes.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 10/6/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 10/6/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 10/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/6/11
- productSwan M50Wtagged by System, 3/7/13
Related Forum Threads
- ath m50 for 230 dollars ,worth it? Last post on 11/10/11 at 1:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- M50 vs DT 990 vs ???? Newbie Question Last post on 9/6/11 at 4:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones should I buy? Last post on 8/18/11 at 7:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Itching 2 Upgrade ! [m50] Last post on 7/19/11 at 2:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- post buying questions for m50 Last post on 5/25/11 at 7:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Ok I have been using a pair of these for several years. I logged on because there are way too many positive reviews of these things. Firstly: everything I mix on these is significantly...
Never thought this day would come but I guess blunders are inevitable. There is no denying the Beyerdynamic T5p is one attractive looking Headphone, I think it's among the most beautiful and...
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
Note: I bought the Trinity Phantom Sabre in the pre-order period for ~75€. The Value rating is based on the full retail price of around 150€. Manufacturer website:...
Bluedio Vinyl Plus Bluetooth Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
DT770 vs M50 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3810/12/11 at 4:25amThread Starter
Well, as I said i've thought I'd buy an amp/DAC. I'm going to keep DT770.
So which amp would you suggest for DT770, if there is a real improvement on the sound?
Best bang of the buck will be awarded.
Edited by Texpect - 10/12/11 at 4:27ampost #18 of 3810/12/11 at 7:16am
I am in the same situation as you, looking for some good headphones for metal at home. I was decided for the M50, but this thread has make me think again.
The DT770 pro 250 Ohm have the same price (amazon.co.uk), but the thing is if my external soundcard (Line 6 UX 1) will drive them properly (Line 6 recommends impedances from 150 - 500 though),
I use glasses, so comfort is welcome :Ppost #19 of 3810/17/11 at 2:05pm
My experience with the Beyerdynamics is that any decent soundcard (or sometimes even default motherboard soundcards if good enough) will drive them adequately. However, a decent amp does make a huge difference. You'll probably get a 10% increase more more in quality of sound if you were to get a entry amp. You can live without one, but with one there is a difference. I reccomend the E7. 80-100 dollars and handles it decently.post #20 of 3810/17/11 at 2:55pmpost #21 of 3810/17/11 at 3:00pm
I'd go DT770 over M50 any day. I bought a pair of 770s about a year ago and I love them. hudamanium is correct also; they are easily driven out of my iPod or laptop sound card, but amping makes a large difference. The bass becomes a little more refined and the separation becomes a little clearer.That's just my experience.post #22 of 3810/17/11 at 3:48pm
DT770 is easily the most comfortable set I've ever used. Aside from a slightly heavy headband the fit is perfect and stays perfect for hours. Sonically, well you're not going to find really good-sounding closed headphones this side of the Stax 4070, so for what it is and what it costs, the sound's pretty good. Amping for the 80 ohm version is not really a necessity, an old receiver or a high(er) output soundcard will do fine, but there will be benefits with more clean power - bass will tighten up and clarity will improve as well. For the 250 ohm version, I'm not sure...
Also, these make killer gaming cans. For FPS positioning is spot on, assuming the game's sound engine is up to par.post #23 of 3810/17/11 at 4:01pm
another vote for the DT 770 pro, they are awesome, i would rebuy them if i could, i know a while ago i mentioned they had extremely recessed mids, muddy bass, and where way too harsh and bright. however, i take it all back after hearing them a second time, the first pair i had simply had damaged drivers.
but yeah the DT 770 pro are way better than the M50s.post #24 of 3810/17/11 at 6:54pmpost #25 of 3810/17/11 at 8:56pm
Ok, that's good. If you didn't plan on buying an amp, it wouldn't have made sense to get the dt770 considering its only slightly better (<10%) unamped than the M50 unamped.
Quote:post #26 of 3810/17/11 at 9:30pm
On eBay, you can get a single tube headphone amplifier (shipped from China) starting at $50.
My Muse 6922EH single tube headphone amplifier can very easily power my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm cans.
I have not figured out how to get it to work with 5.1 sound, but 2.0 stereo is no problem.post #27 of 3810/18/11 at 4:00am
Can consider the FiiO E10, cheaper than the E7 but better sounding, smaller, and MUCH more powerful (drove my HD580 to comparable levels to my own E7+E9 combo).
Nothing super fancy maybe, but for $80 it is simply superb. This is for the case when your source is your laptop. E10 is small enough to be transportable but it only functions when with a USB device.post #28 of 3810/18/11 at 11:58am
I would maybe try to hold off on the amp (if at all possible) until February when FiiO releases their E17. Basically an amped up version of the E7...better DAC chip, can do 96k bit processing, has a independent line-out to allow for DAC use on the go, and can output more power than the E7. I'd definitely consider this if you have any plans to take the 770s with you.post #29 of 3810/18/11 at 12:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by JGOelfke
I would maybe try to hold off on the amp (if at all possible) until February when FiiO releases their E17. Basically an amped up version of the E7...better DAC chip, can do 96k bit processing, has a independent line-out to allow for DAC use on the go, and can output more power than the E7. I'd definitely consider this if you have any plans to take the 770s with you.
Another vote for the 770/80Ω. I've been looking for a while now for a new set for or below $150 and haven't had any luck. Ordered a set of RP-HTF600-S's to keep the bass side of me happy until then.
- DT770 vs M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 8 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Discussion on MEE P1 and Burn In 12 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations 16 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 18 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...