Not a fan of the M50, but this specific model of the DT770 80ohm will be MUCH harder to drive than the M50. Since you don't want to buy an additional amp, I say this should be a important consideration for you. M50s are uncomfortable, but at least they'll drive well from devices of all shapes and sizes.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 10/6/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 10/6/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 10/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/6/11
- productSwan M50Wtagged by System, 3/7/13
Related Forum Threads
- ath m50 for 230 dollars ,worth it? Last post on 11/10/11 at 1:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- M50 vs DT 990 vs ???? Newbie Question Last post on 9/6/11 at 4:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones should I buy? Last post on 8/18/11 at 7:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Itching 2 Upgrade ! [m50] Last post on 7/19/11 at 2:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- post buying questions for m50 Last post on 5/25/11 at 7:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The urbanite xl wireless is seemingly targeting the younger audience with its stylish looks,bluetooth connectivity and a bass emphasis.But does this deliver like it is intended to?Let's run through...
I was looking for a solution to simultaneously listen and charge an iPhone7, since Apple decided to ditch the 3.5 mm jack output. This one, which I got on Aliexpress, does the job. Soundwise, it...
Final F7200 Earphone review I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered...
MBC/ PINOYMAN's review: The TFZ series 1 Iem. Id like to thank Christopher Gatchalian for lending me his pair unit for the purpose of this review. Shell: clear in smoke black. Cable: quality is...
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
DT770 vs M50 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3810/12/11 at 4:25amThread Starter
Well, as I said i've thought I'd buy an amp/DAC. I'm going to keep DT770.
So which amp would you suggest for DT770, if there is a real improvement on the sound?
Best bang of the buck will be awarded.
Edited by Texpect - 10/12/11 at 4:27ampost #18 of 3810/12/11 at 7:16am
I am in the same situation as you, looking for some good headphones for metal at home. I was decided for the M50, but this thread has make me think again.
The DT770 pro 250 Ohm have the same price (amazon.co.uk), but the thing is if my external soundcard (Line 6 UX 1) will drive them properly (Line 6 recommends impedances from 150 - 500 though),
I use glasses, so comfort is welcome :Ppost #19 of 3810/17/11 at 2:05pm
My experience with the Beyerdynamics is that any decent soundcard (or sometimes even default motherboard soundcards if good enough) will drive them adequately. However, a decent amp does make a huge difference. You'll probably get a 10% increase more more in quality of sound if you were to get a entry amp. You can live without one, but with one there is a difference. I reccomend the E7. 80-100 dollars and handles it decently.post #20 of 3810/17/11 at 2:55pmpost #21 of 3810/17/11 at 3:00pm
I'd go DT770 over M50 any day. I bought a pair of 770s about a year ago and I love them. hudamanium is correct also; they are easily driven out of my iPod or laptop sound card, but amping makes a large difference. The bass becomes a little more refined and the separation becomes a little clearer.That's just my experience.post #22 of 3810/17/11 at 3:48pm
DT770 is easily the most comfortable set I've ever used. Aside from a slightly heavy headband the fit is perfect and stays perfect for hours. Sonically, well you're not going to find really good-sounding closed headphones this side of the Stax 4070, so for what it is and what it costs, the sound's pretty good. Amping for the 80 ohm version is not really a necessity, an old receiver or a high(er) output soundcard will do fine, but there will be benefits with more clean power - bass will tighten up and clarity will improve as well. For the 250 ohm version, I'm not sure...
Also, these make killer gaming cans. For FPS positioning is spot on, assuming the game's sound engine is up to par.post #23 of 3810/17/11 at 4:01pm
another vote for the DT 770 pro, they are awesome, i would rebuy them if i could, i know a while ago i mentioned they had extremely recessed mids, muddy bass, and where way too harsh and bright. however, i take it all back after hearing them a second time, the first pair i had simply had damaged drivers.
but yeah the DT 770 pro are way better than the M50s.post #24 of 3810/17/11 at 6:54pmpost #25 of 3810/17/11 at 8:56pm
Ok, that's good. If you didn't plan on buying an amp, it wouldn't have made sense to get the dt770 considering its only slightly better (<10%) unamped than the M50 unamped.
Quote:post #26 of 3810/17/11 at 9:30pm
On eBay, you can get a single tube headphone amplifier (shipped from China) starting at $50.
My Muse 6922EH single tube headphone amplifier can very easily power my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm cans.
I have not figured out how to get it to work with 5.1 sound, but 2.0 stereo is no problem.post #27 of 3810/18/11 at 4:00am
Can consider the FiiO E10, cheaper than the E7 but better sounding, smaller, and MUCH more powerful (drove my HD580 to comparable levels to my own E7+E9 combo).
Nothing super fancy maybe, but for $80 it is simply superb. This is for the case when your source is your laptop. E10 is small enough to be transportable but it only functions when with a USB device.post #28 of 3810/18/11 at 11:58am
I would maybe try to hold off on the amp (if at all possible) until February when FiiO releases their E17. Basically an amped up version of the E7...better DAC chip, can do 96k bit processing, has a independent line-out to allow for DAC use on the go, and can output more power than the E7. I'd definitely consider this if you have any plans to take the 770s with you.post #29 of 3810/18/11 at 12:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by JGOelfke
I would maybe try to hold off on the amp (if at all possible) until February when FiiO releases their E17. Basically an amped up version of the E7...better DAC chip, can do 96k bit processing, has a independent line-out to allow for DAC use on the go, and can output more power than the E7. I'd definitely consider this if you have any plans to take the 770s with you.
Another vote for the 770/80Ω. I've been looking for a while now for a new set for or below $150 and haven't had any luck. Ordered a set of RP-HTF600-S's to keep the bass side of me happy until then.
- DT770 vs M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › WTS Focal Elear for SALE 18 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 30 seconds ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 3 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Ie800 check 5 minutes ago
- › Simgot EN700 Impressions & Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 7 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 8 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...