Not a fan of the M50, but this specific model of the DT770 80ohm will be MUCH harder to drive than the M50. Since you don't want to buy an additional amp, I say this should be a important consideration for you. M50s are uncomfortable, but at least they'll drive well from devices of all shapes and sizes.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 10/6/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 10/6/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 10/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/6/11
- productSwan M50Wtagged by System, 3/7/13
Related Forum Threads
- ath m50 for 230 dollars ,worth it? Last post on 11/10/11 at 1:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- M50 vs DT 990 vs ???? Newbie Question Last post on 9/6/11 at 4:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones should I buy? Last post on 8/18/11 at 7:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Itching 2 Upgrade ! [m50] Last post on 7/19/11 at 2:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- post buying questions for m50 Last post on 5/25/11 at 7:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I still have yet to give anything 5 stars. The SR-202, for me, is a solid option for alternatives to the HD700, if you can find them without breaking the bank. I will start with the things I...
Fidue A65 Thanks to tony from hifiheadphones for letting me be part of the UK tour. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Drivers: Custom 8mm dynamic driver with Titanium...
Background When was the last time you used a pair of earbuds? Perhaps you use your Apple Earpods at work to remain inconspicuous, or maybe you are one of the many who have purchased the VE...
About Me: I'm just your average guy making his way through college with a passing interest in audio fidelity. I'm NOT an audiophile, but I've got a little experience ranging from lower-end...
Preamble:Pai Audio (http://www.paiaudio.com/indexEn.asp) is a relatively new audio company and based in Shenzhen, China. Established in 2014, they have specialised in manufacturing in-ears....
DT770 vs M50 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3810/12/11 at 4:25amThread Starter
Well, as I said i've thought I'd buy an amp/DAC. I'm going to keep DT770.
So which amp would you suggest for DT770, if there is a real improvement on the sound?
Best bang of the buck will be awarded.
Edited by Texpect - 10/12/11 at 4:27ampost #18 of 3810/12/11 at 7:16am
I am in the same situation as you, looking for some good headphones for metal at home. I was decided for the M50, but this thread has make me think again.
The DT770 pro 250 Ohm have the same price (amazon.co.uk), but the thing is if my external soundcard (Line 6 UX 1) will drive them properly (Line 6 recommends impedances from 150 - 500 though),
I use glasses, so comfort is welcome :Ppost #19 of 3810/17/11 at 2:05pm
My experience with the Beyerdynamics is that any decent soundcard (or sometimes even default motherboard soundcards if good enough) will drive them adequately. However, a decent amp does make a huge difference. You'll probably get a 10% increase more more in quality of sound if you were to get a entry amp. You can live without one, but with one there is a difference. I reccomend the E7. 80-100 dollars and handles it decently.post #20 of 3810/17/11 at 2:55pmpost #21 of 3810/17/11 at 3:00pm
I'd go DT770 over M50 any day. I bought a pair of 770s about a year ago and I love them. hudamanium is correct also; they are easily driven out of my iPod or laptop sound card, but amping makes a large difference. The bass becomes a little more refined and the separation becomes a little clearer.That's just my experience.post #22 of 3810/17/11 at 3:48pm
DT770 is easily the most comfortable set I've ever used. Aside from a slightly heavy headband the fit is perfect and stays perfect for hours. Sonically, well you're not going to find really good-sounding closed headphones this side of the Stax 4070, so for what it is and what it costs, the sound's pretty good. Amping for the 80 ohm version is not really a necessity, an old receiver or a high(er) output soundcard will do fine, but there will be benefits with more clean power - bass will tighten up and clarity will improve as well. For the 250 ohm version, I'm not sure...
Also, these make killer gaming cans. For FPS positioning is spot on, assuming the game's sound engine is up to par.post #23 of 3810/17/11 at 4:01pm
another vote for the DT 770 pro, they are awesome, i would rebuy them if i could, i know a while ago i mentioned they had extremely recessed mids, muddy bass, and where way too harsh and bright. however, i take it all back after hearing them a second time, the first pair i had simply had damaged drivers.
but yeah the DT 770 pro are way better than the M50s.post #24 of 3810/17/11 at 6:54pmpost #25 of 3810/17/11 at 8:56pm
Ok, that's good. If you didn't plan on buying an amp, it wouldn't have made sense to get the dt770 considering its only slightly better (<10%) unamped than the M50 unamped.
Quote:post #26 of 3810/17/11 at 9:30pm
On eBay, you can get a single tube headphone amplifier (shipped from China) starting at $50.
My Muse 6922EH single tube headphone amplifier can very easily power my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm cans.
I have not figured out how to get it to work with 5.1 sound, but 2.0 stereo is no problem.post #27 of 3810/18/11 at 4:00am
Can consider the FiiO E10, cheaper than the E7 but better sounding, smaller, and MUCH more powerful (drove my HD580 to comparable levels to my own E7+E9 combo).
Nothing super fancy maybe, but for $80 it is simply superb. This is for the case when your source is your laptop. E10 is small enough to be transportable but it only functions when with a USB device.post #28 of 3810/18/11 at 11:58am
I would maybe try to hold off on the amp (if at all possible) until February when FiiO releases their E17. Basically an amped up version of the E7...better DAC chip, can do 96k bit processing, has a independent line-out to allow for DAC use on the go, and can output more power than the E7. I'd definitely consider this if you have any plans to take the 770s with you.post #29 of 3810/18/11 at 12:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by JGOelfke
I would maybe try to hold off on the amp (if at all possible) until February when FiiO releases their E17. Basically an amped up version of the E7...better DAC chip, can do 96k bit processing, has a independent line-out to allow for DAC use on the go, and can output more power than the E7. I'd definitely consider this if you have any plans to take the 770s with you.
Another vote for the 770/80Ω. I've been looking for a while now for a new set for or below $150 and haven't had any luck. Ordered a set of RP-HTF600-S's to keep the bass side of me happy until then.
- DT770 vs M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 21 seconds ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 35 seconds ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Koss pro4AAA Plus 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 4 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 5 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Aornic
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...