Looking to improve SA5000 setup
Sep 11, 2007 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SoundFreaq

Headphoneus Supremus
I have had my 5000's for over a year now and I absolutely love them in every way. My music demands a lot of attention to the high-end and, of course they perform with grandiose performance.

Take a glance at my signature. What is the best thing I can do to my setup? I simply have Monster Cables from my card to the M^3 amp. I EQ in itunes and have stock cables on the 'phones. Should I buy an EQ? What is a better player anyway? Should I recable (with Black Dragon/other?)? Or would that be in vain due to the limitations of the Monster Cable before the amp?

Throw some suggestions at me. Thanks a bunch

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 18
I would definitely say new source

If it's the E-MU 0404 PCI, my experience is that it's a pleasant sounding DAC but not very detailed and actually quite warm/muddy sounding in comparison to even a budget DAC like the Zhaolu that to me was a considerable improvement.

I would say you'll experience a marked difference if you go to a DAC that performs well in treble.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 18
Damn, that was my most recent upgrade. It was recommended to me over the Audigy 2 I had. I would upgrade it (again) though if it is going to make that much of a difference. Thanks

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 18
I have absolutely no experience with a computer based set-up so I can't make any recommendations there but the SA5000 really shines with source upgrades. I went from a Sony D-NE920 (pcdp) to a NAD C542 and it blew me away. With the pcdp it was liking having the vision of an 80 year old with cataracts but upgrading to the C542 was being in your teens again with 20:20 eyesight. Crap analogy I know
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 18
I need to keep my setup as a computer setup for a while, unfortunately. I don't have the money for a nice CD player. But everything else is game... sound card, cables, EQ, ...

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 18
Because initially I wasn't even contemplating bringing my source under scrutiny. This isn't about my source, I just upgraded it. All I'm saying is I can't change my source right now, so how about the rest?

Edit: and by source I mean PC vs. CD player... not which DAC I use. My question isn't computer related

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 18
Balancing them really opens them up.. In comparison the SE SA5000 sound veiled. Bass, sound stage, & detail are much improved. The SA5000 is a finicky headphone.. You really need a nice set up to make them shine. I love my SA5000 personally!! I know this is out of your budget, but if you ever decide to spend more scratch balancing them is the way to go..

Sep 11, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 18
It seems I can get a Zhaolu DAC for about the same price as doing a Black Dragon re-cable. What's more beneficial seeing as how I am still limited by Monster Cable before the amp?

You're right, I've heard great things about a tube amp. The M^3 is a pretty good pairing for a solid state though and I am happy with it for the time being.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 18
I don't know much about DAC's. Is there something else I may want to consider besides a Zhaolu 2.5?

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundFreaq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know much about DAC's. Is there something else I may want to consider besides a Zhaolu 2.5?

Modded great march worked well with my SE SA5000..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back