Looking to go "receiverless" - Is this a worthy option?
Sep 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

2ChannelAnimal

New Head-Fier
I am planning on pairing the AUDIOENGINE D1 with the N22 to use with bookshelf speakers.

IE- D1 usb powered, using optical in, rca out to N22, N22 with speaker wire, to bookshelf speakers.

If so, how was it? Does this make sense or is it overkill?

Mostly using AppleTv and bluray optical out for Lossless files and cd's.

Trying to conserve space and go as minimal as possible.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 9
Makes sense. Mind if I ask what receiver/speaker combo you're using currently?

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 9
Your speakers will likely become less lively going from 80 to 22 watt. Definitely give N22 a listen before getting rid of the Sony. I think you scratching the bottom with 22 watt

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 9
The general rule of thumb is to never trade more power for less.

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 9
This makes sense. I sure do enjoy the current power I am pushing, compromising that would be a step in the wrong direction for my taste.

Thank you for the input. This is all new to me, I'm better with live sound and the mixing process.

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 9
You can still experiment with powered monitors in place of your current system, just make sure you can return them if necessary, and hold onto your current speakers and receiver.

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 9
I have just purchased this for testing to add to my Sony receiver - 

http://signalcable.com/analogone.html (this is where I bought my cable)

Audioengine D1

Sonicwave Glass Toslink Cable
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em] Let me know if this is an adequate setup.[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em] Also, what type of USB cable should I get for USB>D1 listening?[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #9 of 9
After burn-in time, speaker adjustment/placement......etc

I have found that for the first time I can legitimately say that I know what quality sound-stage is and how to achieve it. I finally have the body and definition in my ALAC files that I have been searching for. I have never heard Pink Floyd's: Dark Side of the Moon like this before, its crazy good quality!

This has been a great investment to get me started as an entry level audiophile.

Any suggestions or alternatives to what I have listed here would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back