Looking to get into computer audio...please help out a newb!
Jun 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

asdfTT123

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Yesterday I ordered an ATH-AD700 for use in my office at home. I've become interested in upgrading my computer audio system to something beyond ipod earbuds + onboard realtek audio but I'm a complete newbie at this stuff. What are my options to go from here? I realize I could get a good soundcard but what are other options? I prefer to spend no more than around $200 for everything and I plan on using it to listen to music (everything from low bit-rate mp3 to lossless), movies, and gaming though music takes priority over everything. I've heard a lot of talk about DAC's...what are those and how do they work? If anyone could inform me a bit about computer audio and lay down a basis for me, I'll be forever grateful.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, here are my system specs if it matters:
Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard
Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0 GHz
4GB G.Skill DDR2-800 RAM
Western Digital Caviar 640GB HD
Diamond Radeon HD 4870 1GB Video card
Windows Vista x64

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 10
thats some office! looks more like a gaming powerhouse
biggrin.gif

in any case, one thing to consider might be a Zero Dac. having been surpassed by the compass, there are tons of these new on ebay for ~$140 shipped. they connect via USB, have a pretty decent DAC, and an amp that is more than sufficient for AD700's.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

in any case, one thing to consider might be a Zero Dac. having been surpassed by the compass, there are tons of these new on ebay for ~$140 shipped. they connect via USB, have a pretty decent DAC, and an amp that is more than sufficient for AD700's.

Only the 2009 Zeros have USB. The older ones, meaning most of those you can find used in that price range, only have optical and coaxial.

That being said, I just bought a used Zero off of someone here, but I haven't received it yet. I'm looking forward to it. I would say in the $200 range, you have 2 real options:

A Good Sound Card:
Newegg.com - AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards
Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card - Sound Cards
Newegg.com - HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier - Sound Cards

- or -

A DAC with a Headphone-Out:
Tianyun Zero
Zahlou (Probably spelled that wrong)
Fubar III: http://www.audiophileproducts.com/fubar3

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I was wondering if someone could explain to me what exactly a DAC is. Is it basically an external replacement for a sound card? How does it work and what are the pros/cons vs an internal sound card?

Also, I was looking at the Xonar STX but is it overkill for high-bit rate MP3's and the ATH-AD700? If I was going the sound card route would I be set with just a nice sound card and pair of headphones or would there be more room for expansion later?

Thanks again for all of your help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the 2009 Zeros have USB. The older ones, meaning most of those you can find used in that price range, only have optical and coaxial.

That being said, I just bought a used Zero off of someone here, but I haven't received it yet. I'm looking forward to it. I would say in the $200 range, you have 2 real options:

BAM! A Zero DAC with USB for $140 shipped

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Are you guys talking about sound cards?

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 10
Hey guys, sorry...I'm very confused. I don't think my board has optical or coaxial out...pretty sure it doesn't. So basically a DAC is some external module that processes sound and processes it like a sound card would except it's external? What are the pros/cons of it compared to a sound card and which one might be more suited towards me...a good $150-$200 sound card or a DAC?

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfTT123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, sorry...I'm very confused. I don't think my board has optical or coaxial out...pretty sure it doesn't. So basically a DAC is some external module that processes sound and processes it like a sound card would except it's external? What are the pros/cons of it compared to a sound card and which one might be more suited towards me...a good $150-$200 sound card or a DAC?

Is this Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards your board. If it is, it has coax out.

pow3rtr1p linked some nice cards in his post.

I use external dacs myself. Always wanted to get a nice card but have not.

El_Doug linked the Zero in his post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back