Looking to get into accessible classical
Jan 5, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dux
Camile Saint-Saens - Symphony #3, Danse Macabre

I've been looking for a good recording/performance of Danse Macabre for a long time now. But the best performance I have of it is still a 128kb mp3. Do you have a recommendation?

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Don't get in to classical at all, ever. It's more expensive than high end headphones as a hobby.

Agree.
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I'm not too apprehensive about the costs of discs because I've got no intentions of switching over to vinyl or anything drastic like that, and accumulating music over the span of years instead of buying expensive audio gear, doesn't hurt one's wallet quite as much.

If only!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Don't get in to classical at all, ever. It's more expensive than high end headphones as a hobby.

THIS IS SOOO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have spent over $5,000.00 in classical recordings.

I have found this out the hard way but nevertheless, I do not regret one bit.

Jan 5, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I've been looking for a good recording/performance of Danse Macabre for a long time now. But the best performance I have of it is still a 128kb mp3. Do you have a recommendation?

Dutoit

See ya
Steve

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 25
I really, really don't think Bach would be more boring for a beginner than, say, Scheherazade. I wouldn't recommend the Brandenburgs though - either Violin Concertos or even a little Glenn Gould.

IM(H)O, someone who comes to classical via good music in other genres may not find much new or exciting in that Rhimsky-Korsakov piece - but they might well be hooked by a bit of Bach or Beethoven.

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, etc. Please recommend the most "musical" and easiest songs and discs that these and other classical composers have. I've checked the sample files on Amazon, but 1 minute is not enough to "get into" classical, IMO.

I always post this...

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134171

This is my list of 10 CDs to introduce a new listener to classical music. It's all very accessible, the CDs are almost all discount priced, and the performances are all desert island pick quality. Each one of the CDs on the list could easily lead to ten more CDs in that area of classical music. I guarantee you that you won't go wrong with these CDs.

See ya
Steve

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #24 of 25
No one's mentioned "Pictures at an Exhibition" (Mussorgsky-Ravel, many good versions) or any Copland, such as "Fanfare for the Common Man" (coupled on Telarc with "Appalachian Spring" and "Rodeo" suites).......hey, both were accessible enough that Emerson, Lake, & Palmer felt the need to do them
orphsmile.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #25 of 25
These are how I introduced classical to my 17 year old son:

Orff: Carmina Burana - Ricardo Muti Conducts - about $6 on Amazon, my favorite version

Copland: Copland Conducts Copland

Bach: Toccata & Fugue

Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - Christopher Hogwood version with original instruments (big difference)

Various movie soundtracks: Lord of the Rings, Phantom of the Opera, etc.

He nows plays Copland while doing homework, and is finding his own way through classical music.

TC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back