Looking to get into accessible classical
Jan 5, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 25
Beethoven's 5th and 9th
Brahms 4th (first movement in particular, the rest is actually sort of boring... no flames please
evil_smiley.gif
)
Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade

and many others, those are just off the top of my head.

Add to that orchestral film scores (which I love), and are nearly always more accessible than straight up classical.

Just Beethoven's 5th + Scheherazade would be enough to get you started... probably the two most accessible symphonies of all time.

Jan 5, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 25
Don't get in to classical at all, ever. It's more expensive than high end headphones as a hobby.

Jan 5, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 25
I find that Movie Soundtracks are incredibly accessible...and yes, very well known and talented composers often do movie scores.
My all time fave (and what got me into classical in the first place) is "The Hours" by Philip Glass.
It is beautiful and very accessible-I highly recommend it.
Glass is a modern day legend-but he composes mainly modern classical. (which I BTW feel is the most accessible of all the classical styles).

Jan 5, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 25
I'll assume you have bascically nothing so far. I'll give specific recordings, since there are so many, especially of the "big name" composers. I've also somewhat arbitrarily selected only instrumental orchestral or ensemble music. Obviously there's lots of great solo instrument, chamber, vocal etc. music, as well.

This is a brand new recording of Bach's famous and oft-performed Brandenburg Concertos that is winning rave reviews. It also comes with a DVD film about the recording and the music. Concerto Italiano is simply one of the best groups doing 17-18th century music. The sonics on Naive's more recent recordings are as good as it gets.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ALCFYI

Vivaldi wrote hundreds of concertos, and is often accused of having written the same one hundreds of times. Good performances belie this view, but perhaps his later compositions do so even more. The Venice Baroque Orchestra has recorded two sensational CDs of the late concertos. Sony Classical's sonics are extremely good.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005NF01

For Mozart and Beethoven I must express my strong preference for historically informed performances (HIP) (period instruments, techniques, etc.). People used to complain about this for Bach and Vivaldi and now most realize that (ahem) "un-HIP" performances often murder the music. The same is true for Classical (i.e. 1770s-1830s).

Mozart's famous final symphony, No.41 "Jupiter," is here combined with flute concertos by the really solid American group Boston Baroque on this recent release. Telarc's sonics are impeccable.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00070EBE4

This recording of Beethoven's two middle piano concerts would be the only one listed here still "controversial" for its 'HIPness." If you're used to hearing Beethoven on a huge resonant grand piano that's as loud as the whole orchestra, this can sound very strange. But this is the instrument whose characteristics Beethoven actually wrote the music for, even if was famously frustrated by some of those same characteristics. Levin is a master at "authentic improvisation" with both Mozart and Beethoven, and his cadenzas (solo passages) are genuine improvisations: i.e. actually made up on the spot during recording. The results are exquisite. Archiv/DG's sonics are very good.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000009OV8
(You have to order from the Marketplace.)

Jan 5, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Don't get in to classical at all, ever. It's more expensive than high end headphones as a hobby.

He ain't kidding.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I shudder to think what sort of a headphone rig I could have if I avoided multiple recordings at full price. However, I wouldn't trade a disc.

But, seriously, forks: If you want accessible classical, here are my recommendations:

1. Beethoven's 9th symphony (Von Karajan 1977, DGG): This is probably the best example of modern big-band Beethoven. It is certainly the best of Von Karajan's four or so recorded outings. This cast is probably better than his '63 or '84 recordings.

2. Mahler's 2nd symphony (Mehta 1975, Decca): I prefer another recording or two to this one, but - for sheer power and musicality - I return to this one over and over. Klemperer's recording of the same score on EMI is also a good bet.

3. Mozart's Le Nozze de Figaro (Jacobs 2004, DHM): This is generally acclaimed as one of the best recordings this piece has ever received. It is a period-instrument piece and performed (probably) as Mozart would have heard it. Fantastic cast, solid playing. Levine's MET recording is a good one, but is big-band Mozart.

4. Wagner's Die Walküre (Boulez 1980, DGG-reissue): This is a DVD of the Bayreuth centennial production. It was the first of the avant-garde productions, but is really quite conservative given the recent Parsifal staged on the green hill. The DVD will give you a sense of the drama, and subtitles provide a cheap libretto. Boulez has a precise and lean conducting style. This might not be the best way to get a sense of traditional Wagner, but it is certainly the best version out on DVD (save, maybe, Barenboim/Kupfer).

Jan 5, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 25
Vivaldi is more melodic than any of the others mentioned. some would say more primitive; melody was the method up through, oh Haydn, say. then things started to get complicated. so "Four Seasons" has lots o tunes embedded in it that most folk will say, "hey I know that!". similar for "Brandenburg Concertos". less so for Beethoven (excepting the 5th, and to a lesser extent 7th; think, Zardoz). and, of course, "Eine Kliene Nachtmusik".

having started through symphonies, it's not a route I recommend. start with quartets and trios and the like; Beethoven in particular. some folks consider his quartets a larger achievment than the symphoneis.

on balance I'd wager that the "average" quartet recording is better sonically than the "average" symphony; it's just a bunch easier to pull off.

Jan 5, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 25
Lots of good work mentioned here. My additions to the list:

Gustav Holst - The Planets

Peter Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture, Marche Slave, Nutcracker Suite

Camile Saint-Saens - Symphony #3, Danse Macabre

Johannes Brahms - Symphony #4

Maurice Ravel - Bolero, Alborada del Gracioso

Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov - Flight of the Bumble Bee, Capriccio Espagnol

Johann Sebastian Bach - Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor

George Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue

-----
I'm sure you've heard some of these even if you don't realize it yet...
Rhapsody in Blue is used by a commercial airline's commercials.
Flight of the Bumble Bee has been in cartoons.
The Tocatta and Fugue are popular around halloween.
The Nutcracker Suite is a Christmastime favorite.

Feel free to PM me and tell me what you think, or if you want more suggestions. Enjoy!

Jan 5, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 25
Here we go again. If you want to get into classical I don't believe anyone should start with Beethoven 9, Mahler 2, or so much Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart which can often be, in my opinion, boring. It turns people off. Film scores are great idea, but why not just go right to the composers that wrote in that style: accessible, tuneful, harmonious, extremely well orchestrated?

1) Scheherazade absolutely.
2) Respighi: Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome, Roman Festival. Muti or Dutoit.
3) Atterberg: Symphony 6 on BIS or CPO. I'm still saddened by how few classical enthusiasts know this stunning work.
4) Glazunov: Symphonies 4 & 5. Stirring and uplifting. Butt on ASV.
5) Dvorak: Symphony 9. Great stuff. Kondrashin on London.

I could, but won't, go on. All of this is very listenable, extremely well written and fun as heck to listen to. BTW: I like LOUD, exciting orchestral fare. Music is not wallpaper.

Jan 5, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
Here we go again. If you want to get into classical I don't believe anyone should start with Beethoven 9, Mahler 2, or so much Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart which can often be, in my opinion, boring. It turns people off.

You have a point. However, I am firmly of the opinion that the best way to learn is to dive in. Moreover, my trick (especially with an unfamiliar work) is to find a passage that appeals to me (even if it is only a few minutes long) and build appreciation from there.

Nevertheless, the trick above all others is to find an approach that works for you.

Jan 5, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson

Not necessarily bad advice here. After many years collecting classical audio discs discs, I have been actively trying to complete a "Jascha Heifetz Collection Vol." series and have been searching for the remaining pieces--it has been anything but an inexpensive process!

In regards to pursing classical recordings, I recommend re-reading through archived threads on the subject that have amassed over the years.

Best,
iDesign

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 25
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I'm not too apprehensive about the costs of discs because I've got no intentions of switching over to vinyl or anything drastic like that, and accumulating music over the span of years instead of buying expensive audio gear, doesn't hurt one's wallet quite as much.

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
Here we go again. If you want to get into classical I don't believe anyone should start with Beethoven 9, Mahler 2, or so much Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart which can often be, in my opinion, boring. It turns people off. Film scores are great idea, but why not just go right to the composers that wrote in that style: accessible, tuneful, harmonious, extremely well orchestrated?

1) Scheherazade absolutely.
2) Respighi: Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome, Roman Festival. Muti or Dutoit.
3) Atterberg: Symphony 6 on BIS or CPO. I'm still saddened by how few classical enthusiasts know this stunning work.
4) Glazunov: Symphonies 4 & 5. Stirring and uplifting. Butt on ASV.
5) Dvorak: Symphony 9. Great stuff. Kondrashin on London.

I could, but won't, go on. All of this is very listenable, extremely well written and fun as heck to listen to. BTW: I like LOUD, exciting orchestral fare. Music is not wallpaper.

Why would you think a Dvorak symphony would sound vastly different than a Mahler sympony to the un-initiated? Or that Bach would be boring?

I think the OP should try some chamber and orchestral music from the great masters from each of the major periods (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Bartok, for example) and then move on to more specific picks from there.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 25
A beginner needs something of everything

Symphonies -- Beethoven's 5th and Mozart's 40th are obvious choices. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, despite their name, should fall into this category.
Symphonic tone poems -- Mother Goose by Ravel: more interesting than Bolero IMO. Also try the "Rome Trilogy" by Resphigi and "Ma Vlast" by Smetana. Richard Strauss is probably too challenging.
Piano Works -- why not start with Chopin's opus 9 noctures, and Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata"?
Concertos -- Vivaldi is simple and sweet. Any concerto by Mozart is graceful and will not be over a beginner's attention span.
Sonatas -- Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata (arranged for cello);
Chamber Music -- Hadyn's string quartet "Lark" (op 64-5); Mozart's string quintet K515; Mendelshon's Octet; Dvorak's piano quintet; Ravel's Piano Trio; Shostakovich's second piano trio (for the more adventurous).
Opera -- tough one. I suggest beginners to watch opera DVDs first, and find the CDs if they are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back