Looking to end it all for me, and oh so early. HELP!
Jun 15, 2006 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Meugenio

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking to have the newb budget power trio going, and right now I have as follows:

Amp: PA2V2
IEM: iM716
Closed: 770's, A900's (Trading these away for open headphones)
Open: YOU DECIDE

What would complete this circle of audio for someone who is content with high fidelity audio, but feels after a while, its just not worth it. I mostly enjoy indie rock, however i also enjoy indie pop and hip hop. I have dabbled throughout the forum and have found that both the 225s and the 595s are both solid options. I do not however want a rig that sounds the exact same, I do however want a rig that is balanced for my needs and wants. I will be playing this out of a 4G ipod with sik din line out, if that changes anything.

Help!

Jun 15, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 18
How about Grado RS-1 or RS2? More refined than SR-225 and more organic than SR-225.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 18
I would imagine indie rock and hip/hop would require a forgiving headphone... so that probably excludes:

*K701
and other very unforgiving headphones.

I like the SR225 choice - have you tried this phone? i.e., are not sold on it and looking for alternatives? If you are pretty sold I would recommend it.

Also you could try a Sony SAX000 (like 1000, 3000, 5000) - I owned the SA3000 - it was really fast and nice but a little lean.

If you like the AT house sound you can get one of their open phones.

And then if bass is really important people (I have not heard it) again the SA5000 would probably work.

Hope this helps - when I need help I want a lot of options to consider. Hopefully these options help.

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih
I would imagine indie rock and hip/hop would require a forgiving headphone... so that probably excludes:

*K701
and other very unforgiving headphones.

I like the SR225 choice - have you tried this phone? i.e., are not sold on it and looking for alternatives? If you are pretty sold I would recommend it.

Also you could try a Sony SAX000 (like 1000, 3000, 5000) - I owned the SA3000 - it was really fast and nice but a little lean.

If you like the AT house sound you can get one of their open phones.

And then if bass is really important people (I have not heard it) again the SA5000 would probably work.

Hope this helps - when I need help I want a lot of options to consider. Hopefully these options help.

I am just curious as to why it must be forgiving, as I do listin to high quality rips.

Also this is the first I have heard of the Sony SAX000 Series.

I also never listined to the A900s, I just own them, and they are in a box so I can trade them. From what I hear, they are inferrior to the 770/80s.

Thank you for your help.

I also may not have mentiond this, but I wouldnt want to pay much more than I could get with for my A900s (and maybe tossing in my amp and line out, as I have had my eye on some others).

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
How about Grado RS-1 or RS2? More refined than SR-225 and more organic than SR-225.
rs1smile.gif

I feel I wouldnt appreciate the RS1 or RS2, as they would be my first grado phones. The only thing I worry about grados is soundstage really, apparantly it's almost non existant. But I mean they might compliment my 770s, which from what I understand, have a rather large sound stage?

Jun 16, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 18
Re: forgiving - I do not listen to indie rock but I *assumed* (so herein may be error) that independent rock would not be as refined or polished or high quality of a production as mainstream rock - as such a forgiving can will not highlight any of the holes in the music.

Hope this helps?

Also the Sonys up until the SA3000 are under $200 (USD) - I think in-line with AT A900s. May be that the Sonys are not for you - some remark they are bright (I did not notice).

Wish you the best!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meugenio
I am just curious as to why it must be forgiving, as I do listin to high quality rips.

Also this is the first I have heard of the Sony SAX000 Series.

I also never listined to the A900s, I just own them, and they are in a box so I can trade them. From what I hear, they are inferrior to the 770/80s.

Thank you for your help.

I also may not have mentiond this, but I wouldnt want to pay much more than I could get with for my A900s (and maybe tossing in my amp and line out, as I have had my eye on some others).

Jun 16, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih
Re: forgiving - I do not listen to indie rock but I *assumed* (so herein may be error) that independent rock would not be as refined or polished or high quality of a production as mainstream rock - as such a forgiving can will not highlight any of the holes in the music.

Hope this helps?

Also the Sonys up until the SA3000 are under $200 (USD) - I think in-line with AT A900s. May be that the Sonys are not for you - some remark they are bright (I did not notice).

Wish you the best!

This is true in some cases, however not neccesairly true. Thank you for your input.

Jun 16, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 18

tongue.gif
Really, now; what do you mean: Why? Where are you directing this question to?

Jun 16, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 18
It's quite neutral. (talking out my a** here, as this is forum impressions; I have the 555, though) The 595 is not as dark as, say, the 650 (look at the frequency difference at 125 Hz and 9 Khz to see what I mean) and doesn't have the strident highs of a Grado. It's also forgiving, and with a soundstage that's not very broad, but still there and with depth. It's basically middle-of-the-road in everything, and thus a good starting point.

(end a** talking)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back