Looking to Create a Relatively Nice Desktop Audio Setup
Apr 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

adihandach

New Head-Fier
Hello people of Head-Fi,
This being my first post and all, It seems necessary write about buying my first pieces of equipment as well.
I currently have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s and lots of music on CDs and in flac format. I am looking to listen to this music with the utmost quality and pleasure to my ears through buying equipment. Most likely I will first buy a headphone amp of some sort.
I have a computer, so my setup is compatible with USB options.
My main concern is (I don't know if this is possible) buying equipment that will work with great quality with headphones now, but, later on, will ALSO be able to be applied to my speaker system when the time comes for this. So basically what I am asking for is for recommendations on equipment (amp, DAC, sound card, other stuff I probably don't know about, etc.) that can be applied to a headphone environment and a speaker environment. 
Also, with regards to my headphones, I may later in the future buy a more high-end pair, so I would like, if possible, for the amps to be able to drive some cans with a little (or a lot) more impedance.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 11
A standalone DAC will work best, then you can choose the amp down the line.
I think you're better off getting power amps, most of which come with a headphone option. Most headphone amps do not have enough power to supply for speakers. 
For power amps try asking in the dedicated source section.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 11
I would go for headphones:
Computer -> DAC -> Headphone Amp with Preamp -> Headphones
for speakers:
Computer -> DAC -> Headphone Amp with Preamp -> Active Speakers

You only have to buy one DAC, one headphone amp with preamp, one headphone and one pair or active speakers.

Get a decent DAC, a great headphone amp with preamp, and decent active speakers.  Simple and will sound better than just about anything else.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 11
One option to consider for amplification would be the Audioengine N22. This desktop amp has both a 3.5mm out for headphones, as well as posts to power one set of speakers.
I have been considering getting this amp as I could use it with my Stax Gamma's (which needs those speaker posts) and my Sennheisers.
The N22 may not earn you much audiophile credibility, but it's a well reviewed piece of equipment from a reputable speaker manufacturer.
Going with this would require you to pick up a separate DAC.
Another option is the Nuforce Icon-2, which is a DAC / headphone / speaker amp. The speaker outs on the Icon-2 are RJ45 though, which is not for me right now, but some people love it.

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 11
I would go for headphones:
Computer -> DAC -> Headphone Amp with Preamp -> Headphones
for speakers:
Computer -> DAC -> Headphone Amp with Preamp -> Active Speakers

You only have to buy one DAC, one headphone amp with preamp, one headphone and one pair or active speakers.

Get a decent DAC, a great headphone amp with preamp, and decent active speakers.  Simple and will sound better than just about anything else.

So what decent DAC would you recommend?

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 11
HRT Streamer Pro is not bad for a DAC.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
So what decent DAC would you recommend?

I wouldn't.  I would just tell you to get what I have, but it may not be what you need.  I would look in the dedicated source forum.  I can suggest you write down what features you need and what price you're willing to pay, then go from there.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 11
I strongly suggest you think about tube power amps. Building one is very fun and easy from what I see around. Then you can buy or build a very good headphone tube amp that will also work as a preamp.

PC usb or digital server>DAC>Passive selector >Tube Headphone amp/preamp(by using the headphone jack)>Tube power amp>efficient speakers.

I suggest Crack bottlehead tube amp DIY, and a 300B tube amp DIY, also DIY speakers are a lot of fun to build cheap.
All you need to buy solid state is the DAC.

Downside is you got to have speakers with an efficiency supperior to 93dB/1m/1W to be ready for any situation/room.
Bonus is you have musical sound, unique, and a work of Art which you are the creator/artist!

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #10 of 11
Dacmini PX or a few of the Decware products would work well for you (you might have to ask for steve to put in a headphone jack but it's no problem from what I've heard).  The bottlehead stuff is great as well as someone recommended and cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back