looking to connect my late 2012 iMac to Topping D50S via USB rather than mini Toslink to Toslink
Aug 26, 2019 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

glorkaglickflic

100+ Head-Fier
As the title states, I'm looking to connect my late 2012 iMac to Topping D50S via USB (of course connecting Topping D50S to Stax SRM 323S via RCA). USB connection to the Topping will produce higher res than a mini Toslink to Toslink Optical S/PDIF, which would connect from the headphone output jack on the rear of the iMac. Is there a way for the IMac to have a USB output to the Topping?

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm assuming the 2012 iMac does not have any USB outputs?

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 10
It doesn’t have usb?

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 10
It has 4 USB inputs, on the back. What I am looking for is a way to get the Mac to output to the USB input on the Topping DAC.
What about running a USB cable from the iMac's USB port to the USB port on the Topping D50S DAC?

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #7 of 10
The USB ports on your Mac are not just "input" ports. As with most USB interfaces, they allow data transfer both ways. You'll need a USB Type-A male to USB Type-B male cable to connect the USB port on the back of your Mac to the USB port on the DAC

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 10
Thank you very much for that information, dairy. I have an additional question: from what I've seen, the USB Type-A male to USB Type-B male cable is for connecting the PC (or Mac, in my case) to a printer. Wouldn't you need a (USB-IF specified) , higher gauge, fully shielded wire to carry signal to the DAC?

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 10
Thank you very much for that information, dairy. I have an additional question: from what I've seen, the USB Type-A male to USB Type-B male cable is for connecting the PC (or Mac, in my case) to a printer. Wouldn't you need a (USB-IF specified) , higher gauge, fully shielded wire to carry signal to the DAC?
USB ports (type-A, type-B, type-C, mini-USB, micro-B, etc) are two way communications between the two devices (PCs, Macs, printers, mice, keyboard, digital cameras, ext storage, etc)
Fully shielded or higher gauge is nice, but not 100% required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back