1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

    Dismiss Notice

looking to connect my late 2012 iMac to Topping D50S via USB rather than mini Toslink to Toslink

  1. glorkaglickflic
    As the title states, I'm looking to connect my late 2012 iMac to Topping D50S via USB (of course connecting Topping D50S to Stax SRM 323S via RCA). USB connection to the Topping will produce higher res than a mini Toslink to Toslink Optical S/PDIF, which would connect from the headphone output jack on the rear of the iMac. Is there a way for the IMac to have a USB output to the Topping?
  2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    I'm assuming the 2012 iMac does not have any USB outputs?
  3. glorkaglickflic
    That is why I'm asking this question.
  4. buke9
    It doesn’t have usb?
  5. glorkaglickflic
    It has 4 USB inputs, on the back. What I am looking for is a way to get the Mac to output to the USB input on the Topping DAC.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  6. PurpleAngel Contributor
    What about running a USB cable from the iMac's USB port to the USB port on the Topping D50S DAC?
  7. dairy
    The USB ports on your Mac are not just "input" ports. As with most USB interfaces, they allow data transfer both ways. You'll need a USB Type-A male to USB Type-B male cable to connect the USB port on the back of your Mac to the USB port on the DAC
  8. glorkaglickflic
    Thank you very much for that information, dairy. I have an additional question: from what I've seen, the USB Type-A male to USB Type-B male cable is for connecting the PC (or Mac, in my case) to a printer. Wouldn't you need a (USB-IF specified) , higher gauge, fully shielded wire to carry signal to the DAC?
  9. PurpleAngel Contributor
    USB ports (type-A, type-B, type-C, mini-USB, micro-B, etc) are two way communications between the two devices (PCs, Macs, printers, mice, keyboard, digital cameras, ext storage, etc)
    Fully shielded or higher gauge is nice, but not 100% required.
  10. dairy
    If you have a printer cable available at home, I would suggest using that first and to see if you're happy with it. You could always get a better cable later if you're not satisfied.

Share This Page