Looking to buy new headphones, please help me decide!
Dec 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chughes13x

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

For the past few months I've greatly been enjoying my GR06's and I've decided to get a nice pair of headphones to match. My one problem with the GR06's is that the bass is not really there. I'm really looking for a pair of headphones that have strong, impacting bass but not to the point where it's overwhelming and that's all you notice. I was considering the Alessandro Ms1i's as the main genre I listen to is prog. rock, but I'm still unsure if they will be comfortable enough for me. My budget is ~$100 and I'd really like the headphones to be relatively comfortable too with the aforementioned bass.

Thanks in advance,

Connor
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 5
SR-60 and SR-80 aren't really "bassy" headphones, however having said that I'm somewhat hesitant to go down that road with a newbie (this isn't meant to come across as elitism, more that I see a lot of newbies want "lots of bass" because that's more or less what we're told is "good" and it may not actually agree with what we want; this is all based on the kind of music you mention listening to - it doesn't agree with a "bassy headphone"). Basically - when you say you want more bass, try to quantify that - are you trying to replicate a tweaked car with too many subwoofers in the back (the "boom boom shake the room" presentation), or are you trying to replicate what a very good pair of full-range speakers can do? Or something in the middle?

I think the SR-60 or SR-80 would be entirely competent with progressive rock (and as a result that's what I want to suggest), although if you want a lot bassier presentation, I'd steer you away from Grado and towards something else; like the new Koss Ruk50 or the older KTX-Pro. At double your budget I'd suggest the Ultrasone HFI-2400, which will be the closest to being "best of both worlds" between the Ruk and the Grados; the trade-off is you lose the intimate midrange and presentation. Also I feel the need to qualify that Koss headphones are not by and large bassy - I've basically cherry-picked from the lineup to give you those suggestions.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 5
SR-60 and SR-80 aren't really "bassy" headphones, however having said that I'm somewhat hesitant to go down that road with a newbie (this isn't meant to come across as elitism, more that I see a lot of newbies want "lots of bass" because that's more or less what we're told is "good" and it may not actually agree with what we want; this is all based on the kind of music you mention listening to - it doesn't agree with a "bassy headphone"). Basically - when you say you want more bass, try to quantify that - are you trying to replicate a tweaked car with too many subwoofers in the back (the "boom boom shake the room" presentation), or are you trying to replicate what a very good pair of full-range speakers can do? Or something in the middle?
I think the SR-60 or SR-80 would be entirely competent with progressive rock (and as a result that's what I want to suggest), although if you want a lot bassier presentation, I'd steer you away from Grado and towards something else; like the new Koss Ruk50 or the older KTX-Pro. At double your budget I'd suggest the Ultrasone HFI-2400, which will be the closest to being "best of both worlds" between the Ruk and the Grados; the trade-off is you lose the intimate midrange and presentation. Also I feel the need to qualify that Koss headphones are not by and large bassy - I've basically cherry-picked from the lineup to give you those suggestions.

Thank you for the response. I was deeply considering the sr80i but was swayed in the direction of the MS1i's mainly because they sound more like the sr125i's for the price of the sr80i's, what is your opinion on this? I also love the retro look of grados/alessandros and may even get some woodie cups for them. I'm a little worried that the lower end grados are often considered the gateway drugs of audiophilia though .... My poor wallet.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you for the response. I was deeply considering the sr80i but was swayed in the direction of the MS1i's mainly because they sound more like the sr125i's for the price of the sr80i's, what is your opinion on this? I also love the retro look of grados/alessandros and may even get some woodie cups for them. I'm a little worried that the lower end grados are often considered the gateway drugs of audiophilia though .... My poor wallet.

MS-1 and SR-80 are similar/identical (at least drivers), SR-125 is different. But I wouldn't consider ANY Grados to be "basshead" fare, the RS-1 and GS-1000 are "bassy" but most "basshead" cans will blow them out of the water in terms of impact. It just isn't their thing.

I would honestly suggest the SR-60/80 (or MS-1, or SR-225, etc; Grados basically) for progressive rock, and suggest you buy them from an authorized dealer with a good return policy (like J&R or ListenUp) and see what you think. If you want more bass, move to a bassier can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back