Looking to buy my first serious pair of closed over-ear headphones (200$-400$)
Aug 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #36 of 88
A few other things to consider. I know you were thinking no amp.

However, any good bassy headphone will benefit from an amp if you listen at louder volumes. Sub bass takes a lot of energy to produce. Watch a sub driver move, and you can see how it will take some energy to make that voice coil move in it out. Afterall, a full 40hz wave is 28 feet long :eek:

The reason I bring this up is that the types of music you listen to often have even overemphasized bass frequencies. So if you listen at 80% or 90% of volume, the amp in a phone, tablet, or laptop is probably running at its limits when producing sub bass and likely producing distortion, if not outright clipping the sub bass. Add an external amp, and you can get cleaner bass at those volumes (and can even go a little louder) :)

So if you want the best sound for the genres you listen to, I would buy headphones and an amp with your budget.

Also, worth reading about Ultrasone's S Logic technology. What it does is create a surround effect in the headphones that give them a bigger soundstage than most closed headphones, which results in a more immersive listening experience.

Finally, Amazon has a few vendors that have the AKG K267 at a really good price. Are you by chance visiting family in the US? Maybe they would order them for you. If you buy from Amazon, or fulfilled by Amazon (but not third party vendors that do their own shipping on Amazon), the RMA process is painless, and Amazon typically bills maybe $10 for the return shipping. Given the great price on Amazon, you come out ahead to demo them that way. You just have to keep the headphones and the packaging in mint condition.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #37 of 88
That's the first time I've heard that. They have pretty good clamping force and very thick, plush pads. I would be surprised if that is a common problem. Seems like the WS99s would be more likely to have that issue with their shallower, thinner pads.

Nope. The ws99 has a wonderful seal. The dt770 is a little more comfortable though. Ive heard some (not,too many, but im one of the few) complain about the seal. I may have sounded harsh but I wasnt dissing the dt770. I just said what the ws99 does better at it at. The dt770 has more highs and a wider sound stage, plus theyre like impossible to break.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #38 of 88
Quote:
Nope. The ws99 has a wonderful seal. The dt770 is a little more comfortable though. Ive heard some (not,too many, but im one of the few) complain about the seal. I may have sounded harsh but I wasnt dissing the dt770. I just said what the ws99 does better at it at. The dt770 has more highs and a wider sound stage, plus theyre like impossible to break.

I've done it...but it was totally my fault.

I like the DT770s for sure, but I definitely notice their flaws (especially the recessed mids) a lot more since I got my Grados.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #39 of 88
Hey cel,

Thanks for the informative post.

Unfortunately i am not visiting family in the us, so i will not be able to ship anything to a us address.

I read up on ultrasone's s-logic technology quite a bit before and find it quite interesting.

Finally, the reason i was not considering getting an amp was because of portability issues, but i will look into it never the less. Could you or any one else suggest me a good/affordable choice, that is somewhat (and by somewhat i mean very haha) small and portable?

Thanks to trunks and zoo aswell for your input on the 99s and bd's.

Thanks,

Chris

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #40 of 88
FiiO E11 is very popular. Or if you have more budget after you get your headphones, C&C BH or FiiO E12. The C&C BH is pretty small. A little thicker than an iPhone but maybe 2/3 as long.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #41 of 88
Quote:
I've done it...but it was totally my fault.

I like the DT770s for sure, but I definitely notice their flaws (especially the recessed mids) a lot more since I got my Grados.

Wha!? I dont even know thats possible, unless you intentionally did it lol.  Yeah, grados are a like the direct oppsite of the dt770.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #42 of 88
Quote:
Wha!? I dont even know thats possible, unless you intentionally did it lol.  Yeah, grados are a like the direct oppsite of the dt770.

Did it when I was recabling them.  Ended up breaking one of the hair thin voice coil wires.

I haven't listened to them lately as most of my listening is done on my Grados; but I keep them for when I travel.  I really love the Grado sound.

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #43 of 88
Hey all,

I hope I won`t regret saying this, but after doing some more research (getting a little sick of spending multiple hours on my laptop everyday lol), I found the Monster Inspirations (Passive verison). Although I have known about these for a while, I ignored them due to the fact that they are Monsters.

Can anyone here chime in on these?

Thanks,

Chris 

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #44 of 88
Innerfidelity said, "Monster sent in their Inspiration headphones. I have to say they're quite a bit better than their previous offerings eartuned by Dr. Dre. Unfortunately they're a bit strident and wooly, and don't quite cut it for a review, but I do hear progress there. I also heard the Diamond Tears and Vektr at RMAF and found them similarly "just okay." Gonna give Noel Lee and his Monsters a little golf clap though, certainly a step in the right direction." So probably nothing special given Monster's other headphones have been way overpriced (IEMs they do much better).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back