Looking to buy my first serious pair of closed over-ear headphones (200$-400$)
Aug 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #19 of 88
See if there is a Best Buy Magnolia store in Syracuse or Watertown. They will have different headphones to demo.

Since you mentioned you are 17, are you planning to go to college next year? If so, M-100s could be a very good choice because of their ultra portability (fold up into a small size), and college students end up living out of their backpack all day long. The M-100s will also have more bass emphasis, so I would consider them over the Sony MDR-1Rs given your listening interests.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #21 of 88
Guitar Center is also a good choice to demo some headphones.  They will for sure have the ATH-M50s and Beyer DT770, DT880, and/or DT990s.

I'm not sure that they all do anymore. The Guitar Center near me doesn't demo headphones. But still worth a shot to see :)

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #22 of 88
Thanks to both of you for the store suggestions, i will look into them further.

And yes, i will definitely be going to university next year so i appreciate the information about the m-100s.

Thanks,

Chris

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #23 of 88
Quote:
I'm not sure that they all do anymore. The Guitar Center near me doesn't demo headphones. But still worth a shot to see
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it depends on who you talk to.  The one near my office doesn't have a demo station; but if you're serious about buying them they will take a pair out of the box for you to demo.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 88
Mdr 1r is alright, but not as good as the ath ws99. The bass wont drown out the other frequencies in the slightest. Id say get the ws99 as I feel the m100 is a little overpriced, though they are impossible to break

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #25 of 88
Thanks Trunks,

I also feel like the v-modas seem a tad overpriced. 

On that note, since all the cans I`m considering seem fine, my decision just might end up being whatever is on sale.

Thanks,

Chris

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #27 of 88
Thanks for the advice trunks.

Would you (or anyone else) be able to clarify just why or in what way ws99>dt770>COP is true? I would also love to hear where everyone else would rank the other cans mentionned in this thread such as the b&o h6, k267 tiesto, m-100, mdr-1r and any bass-heavy (ish) ultrasones.

Thanks,

Chris

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #28 of 88
Mdr 1r is equal IMO to the dt770,m100 is equal our maybe slightly worse than the ws99.

The dt770 has looser bass, its hearse to drive, its unfocused, hard to get a good seal for some, mids are slightly recessed, and they're huge. This is only compared to the ws99 of course.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #29 of 88
The dt770 has looser bass, its hearse to drive, its unfocused, hard to get a good seal for some, mids are slightly recessed, and they're huge. This is only compared to the ws99 of course.

That's the first time I've heard that. They have pretty good clamping force and very thick, plush pads. I would be surprised if that is a common problem. Seems like the WS99s would be more likely to have that issue with their shallower, thinner pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back