looking to buy durable quality IEMs- ER6i vs UM1?
Jul 31, 2008 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ir22mean

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade to a pair of quality IEMs that are durable (as I would probably be taking them everywhere). I live in Toronto so most of the prices explode when I have to pay duty charges, and I'm looking for something locally. Right now, I have available ER6i and UM1 which are both in my price range. I've heard the good and the bad of each, but I was wondering if anyone knows how durable each IEM is. I'm also looking to use them for classical/indie rock. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 13
I love my er6i but the cable is thin and gets tangled very easy. It's probly not a good option if you need a durable iem. The um1 however has a nice cable. GL.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ok computer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my er6i but the cable is thin and gets tangled very easy. It's probly not a good option if you need a durable iem. The um1 however has a nice cable. GL.

+1
I too find the cables quite thin and that they tangle up easily. However, it's no big deal and overall I think that they have been very durable. For example, I use them every time I work out in the gym, and after, hmm.. 8 months of use ~3 times a week. No problems.

I've change the filters a few times, but that all. I guess I have some amounts of wax..

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 13
I have both those models, and the UM1 is much more solidly built headphone, and has the much better overall sound IMO. The ER6i, while having great definition almost completely lacks bass.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 13
UM1 is probably the best IEM in all categories (comfort, sound, build quality, etc) in its price range.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 13
UM1s are VERY comfortable, sound great, and the twisted cables seem very durable.

BTW, I was thinking about purchasing a pair of used UM2s on ebay and I asked the seller what condition the wires were in. According to the seller the wires were perfect except for a tiny bit of silicone torn where the wire enters one of the monitors; but there were no shorts in the wires.

His UM2s were about 2 years old. How rough with them he was I don't know.
From my point of view they (um1s) seem like they're made to last. They have a 1yr warranty (and +1=2yr if you send in the warranty card) so I think you'd be safe either way.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 13
I used and abused the hell out of my old ER-6i for nearly four years. Then I gave them away to someone else, who has been using them for several months now. They still work, and the cable, while having stiffened up a lot, is still in good shape.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM1 is probably the best IEM in all categories (comfort, sound, build quality, etc) in its price range.

I don't think so. I don't want to listen at death metal and others so the UM1 aren't good for me.

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so. I don't want to listen at death metal and others so the UM1 aren't good for me.

What does death metal have to do with anything?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM1 and ER-6i sound different. You certainly can't say either one is better in all categories.

I certainly can. They sound different, but UM1s have them beat in overall sound quality, I'd say. Same way ER-4Ps have SF5Ps beat in terms of sound quality, even though they sound entirely different.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM1 and ER-6i sound different. You certainly can't say either one is better in all categories.

That's why; you can hate the UM1 and love the ER-6I.
smile.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Owned both, sold both. SQ-wise, the UM1s were a muddy mess to my ears (talk about rolled off highs), and while the er6is are decent enough (but the wire is too thin), neither is the best value (nor the most durable) in the under $100 price range. You're better off with a Altec-Lansing im616 (still available, and has Ety drivers). The 616 is the best choice for build quality/price/fperformance. Man, I hated the UM1s, especially the fact that you MUST wear them over the ear. If you can manage a pair of black olive foamies on the 616s, great phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back