Looking to buy a new pair of IEMs
Aug 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
Hey guys,

I lost my Etymotic ER4s a few weeks ago.  I kept hoping that they would show up again, but they haven't and I'm pretty sure I left them on the bus.  I called lost and found, but no luck so far. Consequently it's time to buy a new pair of IEMs.  I'm not against buying another pair of ER4s, but I am also interested in getting a pair of custom IEMs.  Additionally, I believe I'm about to be offered a new job that will come with a substantial pay raise, so not only do I need to buy new IEMs, I believe I'll have the budget.

First and foremost, I really like the sound signature of the Etymotic ER4s very much.  I like that the Etymotic ER4s sound very coherent.  I used to have a pair of Shure SE535s, but I didn't like them.  Yes, their bass and sound stage was better, but the midrange and highs where not nearly as good, and the music just sounded less coherant to me.  I think that's probably because the cros overs that they used result in the music being slightly out of phase coming out of each driver, but maybe I'm just imaginging that.  My biggest complaints is that they're a bit uncomfortable (and I've been using them for years) and even when the headphones are properly inserted, connected up to an amp (Mini^3 in High Current mode), and a custom made DAC, they bass can still be a little anemic.  I like how well controlled it is, I'd just like it to be a bit more present.  It also doesn't have the greatest sound staging, but I'd put that secondary issue.

So does anyone have any recommendations for custom IEMs, really clean, clear sound, good bass that's well controlled (not boomy), and coherent sounding.  Improved sound staging would be nice too, but that's totally secondary to the other issues.  

What do you guys recommend?  My max budget will be $1000, and even that may be kind of difficult, cause I am also going to try and sell my wife on allowing me to buy a $5000 custom road bike (I don't have my own car, my wife has the minivan, so it's extravagent, but maybe not THAT extravagent- and no, it won't do anything that my current road bikes won't do, but I don't care).

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors.  Great IEMs.  I bought a pair after going to a meet and auditioning many brands.  Some might find the bass light, as these buds don't boost the bass frequencies.  They are exactly what you are looking for if want a sound engineers sound of the music

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 7
That sounds really interesting, I'll check it out.  I was going to add that I tend to listen to a very wide range of musical genres, from stuff like Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails, The Tragically Hip, The Cure, to outlaw country (Steve Earle) and bluegrass (Alison Krauss, for example).  I don't listen to a lot of hip hop or old school hard rock, although I do listen to some heavy metal. 

Brad

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 7
  Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors.  Great IEMs.  I bought a pair after going to a meet and auditioning many brands.  Some might find the bass light, as these buds don't boost the bass frequencies.  They are exactly what you are looking for if want a sound engineers sound of the music

Can you elaborate on what that is?

He got it. It is supposed to be a better ER-4S. Or maybe a Fitear F111. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back