Looking to buy a DAC
Jul 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 13
Not so much.  especially for the price.  Try listening first.  At the $500 mark I would be looking at Ross Martin, Apogee Duet 2 (Mac only), Centrance Dac Port, used Benchmark Dac 1.  I don't think the Async implementation is done very well on this dac and its overall sound quality was not as good as the aforementioned dacs.

Although I have not heard it, I would put the Metrum quad and Halide Dac on my list.  Here is a list of dacs, albeit incomplete, to help with your research.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=275123

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 13
I'd check out the ODAC before you drop 500 bucks on something. It might suite you just fine. If not, it's a good piece to have around to compare your more expensive purchases against :)

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 13
If I were going to try something blind, I would put my money on the Halide Dac.  First I think they have a 30 or 60 day money back program.  They are in the US and have been around for a while. I own their Halide Bridge and it is a very good piece of equipment.  I respect the designers and have had good communication with them.  They are responsive and care about the customer.

This dac uses one of the better implementations of async USB, has a great USB cable and RCA cable built in and is easily moved around if using with a laptop.

And it does not hurt when the dac got a very good review in a dac shootout over at Enjoy the Music (I think, that is the ezine).

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 13
that's the problem then isn't it.  And even if they do most don't lend out overnight anymore like the old days of boutique audio dealers.  Now all we have are big box guys who can't even spell dac.

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 13
It may help if you tell us what the rest of your equipment is.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back