Looking to broaden my listening
Feb 18, 2011 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JPresz

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to mostly classic rock bands (Beatles, Zeppelin, Queen etc). I'll give almost anything a chance, could you guys suggest some stuff for me? (bands/albums)

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 13
Good Old War - Good Old War

You can listen to their entire catalog here, completely free and 100% legally

Here is my review of the album.  It's kind of long though.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 13
A few that I am enjoying (along side the beatles/zepplin/etc staples):

Mantis - Umphrey's McGee
Live At the Murat - Umphrey's McGee (live - wow!)
On the Road To You - Pat Metheny (live)
Live in Gdansk - David Gilmour
Zappa plays Zappa - Dweezil Zappa
Doolittle - Pixies
Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
A String Cheese Incident - String Cheese Incident
..and a whole bunch of Warren Haynes/Govt Mule

Good luck in your search.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 13
I'd consider these bands to sorta be like "contemporaries" of the classic-rock sound:
- Black Mountain
- The Black Angels
- The Black Keys

And if you don't mind prog/heavy rock & metal:
- Ayreon
- Dream Theater
- Muse
- Opeth
- Porcupine Tree
- Radiohead
- Tool

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 13
Progressive(ish) Metal is what I do.

Agalloch
Neurosis (Eye of Every Storm)
Mastodon
Baroness
Boris
Kvelertak

other:
Devin Townsend
Wardruna

Maybe you could be a little more specific.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
You can also check: 

Journey
Van halen
Chicago
The police
Boston
Eagles

Probably you know most of them, but they are great bands. 

what.

I second black mountain, great band.

Ed Hall
Devil Presley
Earth
Brian Eno
Flaming Lips
Melvins
Flipper
Karp
Godheasilp
NOMEANSNO

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 13
if you like neurosis check out shrinebuilder.

TIS A SUPA GOOP

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Random as hell…

King Crimson - Red

Sleigh Bells - Treats

Howlin' Wolf - The Best Of

The Go-Betweens - Oceans Apart

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

Mar 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Nice.   I bought it.  Do they remind you a little of Badfinger?  (I only listened to the first couple of cuts so far).

Yeah, I can see that.  Mostly because they definitely take a page out of The Beatles handbook when it comes to pop song structure and Badfinger was basically what The Beatles would have been had they never gone experimental.  

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 13
If you're looking for something completely different, try the Norwegian progressive house band Royksopp:

Alternatively, check out the Norwegian electronica/trip hop band Frost:

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 13
Since you like the Beatles, give a listen to the Elephant 6 collective. Not a band, but a collective of bands. The members all know each other and collaborate. Not as active now as it was 10 years ago, but there's a bunch of terrific music that should appeal.

One faily well known standout album is "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea," by Neutral Milk Hotel. Given your tastes, I'm 99% sure you'll love it and wonder why the hell you haven't heard of it before. The other album that knocked me flat is "Dusk at Cubist Castle," by the Olivia Tremor Control. An intoxicating blend of pop, psychedelica and experimental rock. You'll probably wonder why it's relatively unknown, too. And check out the rest of Elephant 6 if you like those. The Apples in Stereo, Elf Power, Beulah, Of Montreal, and many others have a lot to offer.

For some sunny pop that's not too deep but infectious and fun, try Jim Noir. You'll probably recognize a few of his tunes that ended up in commercials.

As for classic rock, have you tried "Village Green Preservation Society" by the Kinks? Another largely unrecognized classic - sort of their "Sgt. Pepper's." I also think you'll go nuts over it, then get sorta angry that you haven't heard of it before. That's how I felt when I first heard it.

You might want to broaden your horizons into a little alt.country. I know country doesn't get much love, but the alt.country scene is not what you'd expect. You might enjoy a little Son Volt and Wilco. I'd recommend Son Volt's "Trace" and "Straightaways." Some country, but they also rock. And if the song "Windfall" doesn't make you start wondering if you might be a country fan, I don't know what would. Also try Wilco's three best albums, "Being There," "Summerteeth" and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." Being there has an alt.country/southern rock feel sprinkled with experimentation. "Summerteeth" is a glowing pop album in the tradition of ELO (by the way, try ELO, as well) and Brian Wilson, with just a hint of country. "YHF" is a rock album with a fair amount of experimentation.

If alt.country catches your ear, try a little classic country. I'd go for Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues," "Red Headed Stranger" by Willie Nelson and "Look What Thoughts Will Do," by Lefty Frizzell. Truly good stuff.

Pick up two of the most-loved jazz albums of all time: "Kind of Blue," by Miles Davis and "Time Out" by Dave Brubeck. These have monstrous crossover appeal. Everyone seems to love them.

Finally, try a little classical. Beethoven has a lot of appeal - try his 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th. Everyone loves those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back